Dude, Where's my GANN WHEEL?

Hello,

Every one has heard of the legendary (apparently) W.D. GANN. There is so much of information on the net. And there are also so much of variations to GANN's technique. My research leads me to believe that GANN came to India and learned astrology and he incorporated his techniques in financial forecasting.

The purpose of this thread is to investigate some or all of his techniques and to find out for ourselves what works and what doesn't. I would like to know if there are any traders or investors who successfully use GANN's techniques. I am aware that a lot of his techniques becomes subjective. He did use a lot of trendlines, GANN angles, GANN wheel (hey where's my GANN wheel?).

Is GANN a myth? or is it for real?

Is there at least 1 person who uses GANN? If so, could you please give us some guidance as to how you would use that wheel or other tools?

In return I would like to contribute some of my trading techniques on the FX market.

Thanks,

Rajesh:D

C

CreditViolet

Is GANN a myth? or is it for real?

Is there at least 1 person who uses GANN? If so, could you please give us some guidance as to how you would use that wheel or other tools?

In return I would like to contribute some of my trading techniques on the FX market.
Yes, the gann myth is real :D

Yes, there are more than 1 person who use Gann, they just dont make any money :D .

Usually they call themselves financial astrologers since they cant make anything out of market behavior they link it to esoteric stuff to comfort themselves and their depleting trading accounts :D

Hmm.. is that so?

I have downloaded some original Gann's work. And whatever he has said has some credibility. He used the following techniques:

Angles. We call it GANN angles. But in my opinion, there is no secret here. Pretty much every body uses this.
He was a big proponent of the time factor. It makes sense to me. Pretty much all of us just look at the price factor. He was the first to do at least some kind of analysis on this time factor.

Interestingly, there were some research done on astrology. I will try to post the links. A portfolio invested purely based on astrology beat the SP 500 index. On ET, there is this whole thread on "trading by the moon". Whats interesting is that, statistically they are significant......new moon, the market goes up and full moon the market goes down or some thing of that sort. I would like to explore and investigate.

C

CreditViolet

Its fun to explore all these things as a newbie but when the losses and the bills start to kick in, the gann wheel will be quickly forgotten.

OK. Let me ask you this. Do you believe in Technical Analysis? I know a lot of people use it. At the same time, I don't think any statistician would use any of these technical analysis.

Gann was posthumously awarded the Market Technicians Association Annual Award in 1983, for his outstanding contributions to the field of technical analysis.

Doesn't this mean any thing to any body?

C

CreditViolet

OK. Let me ask you this. Do you believe in Technical Analysis? I know a lot of people use it. At the same time, I don't think any statistician would use any of these technical analysis.

Gann was posthumously awarded the Market Technicians Association Annual Award in 1983, for his outstanding contributions to the field of technical analysis.

Doesn't this mean any thing to any body?
Well TA is usefull to a certain extent but its not useful for monetary gains on a general level.

Gann has actually a lot of work other than the esoteric stuff, his book How to make money in commodities is a good example. But the nutjobs with nothing better to do only want to deal with whackedness.

I just got most of GANN's "secret work". Now I feel like this Indian Jones hunting for some treasure......may be if i figure out how to turn that Gann wheel, thats the answer to the holy grail. :D just kidding, i know there is no such thing as holy grail.

But when I went through his stuff, it was complicated and a person has to spend significant amount of time. This is just a hobby of mine for now since I do have the time to read. But if Gann was just a scam master then why would any body go through all the trouble to put this complicated piece of work? Even if this is fiction, this Gann's stuff is very interesting. And there is significant amount of empirical information.

Has any body tracked the SP 500 with the phases of the moon?

I will post some screen shots to prove my point. Trading using the moon phases, while it does look stupid, it just makes money. And as a trader, I don't' care whether if I am right or wrong, as long as it makes me money.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Introductions 0
T Trading Diary 6
P Equities 4