Day Traders Lounge.

In fact maybe India has more self-made certificate-less experts than west because of this, already making a living in software and web designing fields. It was my graduation-time vision to start a business for self-made experts and adepts of technology...
As did I. I was a foxbase/foxpro programmer for about 15 years. The point is, granting all the business acumen, one can't count MS as a do-gooder or bill gates as a saint.

bkb

As did I. I was a foxbase/foxpro programmer for about 15 years. The point is, granting all the business acumen, one can't count MS as a do-gooder or bill gates as a saint.
aah Foxpro!! What a simple programming language to begin with as compared to other languages like C, C++, Java, Oracle,etc of that time.
Reading about it after such a long time, brings smile to me.
I remenber, I had coded some basic payroll, pension payout and billing database applications.
I did not pursure much programming/technology education after that. But it cleared concepts of RDBMS, SQL query and basic programming.

TradeJoker

Along with pirated copies of windows, pirated copies of software development tools were readily available too. This created millions of indian developers who could code on and for windows platform. In west, for school college work you have no option other then go for linux or free version of Office equivalent products but in India we never bought a single OS with money so forget about MS Office!
Add pirated books to the list. Most of technology books are either pirated or second hand copies. This helped poor students (compare to western world) study engineering or technology. I would also give some credit to Tata who along with McGrahill published cheaper version of books for India.
To hive perspective - an engineering book or certification book could cost $40 in US but same book published in India costs 300-400 Rs
Yeah, if bill gates and Microsoft was not there , the computers future was surely something different, windows made hardware cheaper. I still remember PCquest magazine with CDs in 1996 97, these CDs included lots of shareware games and software wihich runs only windows, but the CD drive was costly then, students try to copy the games to floppy and install it in their PCs,

The game industry slowly transfered to windows platform from consoles. Then the games become more power hungry and the new powerful hardware hit the market ..RAMS, processors and graphics cards.

The more the demands, computer hardwares become cheaper and the vendors offered 'free' software for customers including programming tools,MS office,Photoshop etc.

If the pirated software was not there in the early stage of IT , the industry may not be like this now anymore. Even the mobile technologies and internet should thank Microsoft.

AJK

A thoughtful blog by PM.. some points are applicable globally...

Life in the era of COVID-19

It has been a topsy-turvy start to the third decade of this century. COVID-19 has brought with it many disruptions.

Coronavirus has significantly changed the contours of professional life.

These days, home is the new office.

The Internet is the new meeting room.

For the time being, office breaks with colleagues are history.

I have also been adapting to these changes. Most meetings, be it with minister colleagues, officials and world leaders, are now via video conferencing.

In order to get ground level feedback from various stakeholders, there have been videoconference meetings with several sections of society. There were extensive interactions with NGOs, civil society groups and community organisations. There was an interaction with Radio Jockeys too.

Besides that, I have been making numerous phone calls daily, taking feedback from different sections of society.

One is seeing the ways through which people are continuing their work in these times. There are a few creative videos by our film stars conveying a relevant message of staying home. Our singers did an online concert. Chess players played chess digitally and through that contributed to the fight against COVID-19. Quite innovative!

The work place is getting Digital First. And, why not?

After all, the most transformational impact of Technology often happens in the lives of the poor. It is technology that demolishes bureaucratic hierarchies, eliminates middlemen and accelerates welfare measures.

Let me give you an example.

When we got the opportunity to serve in 2014, we started connecting Indians, especially the poor with their Jan Dhan Account, Aadhar & Mobile number. This seemingly simple connection has not only stopped corruption and rent seeking that was going on for decades, but has also enabled the Government to transfer money at the click of a button. This click of a button has replaced multiple levels of hierarchies on the file and also weeks of delay.

India has perhaps the largest such infrastructure in the world. This infrastructure has helped us tremendously in transferring money directly and immediately to the poor and needy, benefiting crores of families, during the COVID-19 situation.

Another case in point is the education sector. There are many outstanding professionals already innovating in this sector. Invigorating technology in this sector has its benefits. The Government of India has also undertaken efforts such as the DIKSHA Portal, to help teachers and boost e-learning. There is SWAYAM, aimed at improving access, equity and quality of education. E-Pathshala, which is available in many languages, enables access to various e-books and such learning material.

Today, the world is in pursuit of new business models.

India, a youthful nation known for its innovative zeal can take the lead in providing a new work culture.

I envision this new business and work culture being redefined on the following vowels.

I call them- vowels of the new normal- because like vowels in the English language, these would become essential ingredients of any business model in the post-COVID world.

Adaptability:

The need of the hour is to think of business and lifestyle models that are easily adaptable.

Doing so would mean that even in a time of crisis, our offices, businesses and commerce could get moving faster, ensuring loss of life does not occur.

Embracing digital payments is a prime example of adaptability. Shop owners big and small should invest in digital tools that keep commerce connected, especially in times of crisis. India is already witnessing an encouraging surge in digital transactions.

Another example is telemedicine. We are already seeing several consultations without actually going to the clinic or hospital. Again, this is a positive sign. Can we think of business models to help further telemedicine across the world?

Efficiency:

Perhaps, this is the time to think of reimagining what we refer to as being efficient.

Efficiency cannot only be about- how much time was spent in the office.

We should perhaps think of models where productivity and efficiency matter more than appearance of effort.

The emphasis should be on completing a task in the specified time frame.

Inclusivity:

Let us develop business models that attach primacy to care for the poor, the most vulnerable as well as our planet.

We have made major progress in combating climate change. Mother Nature has demonstrated to us her magnificence, showing us how quickly it can flourish when human activity is slower. There is a significant future in developing technologies and practices that reduce our impact on the planet. Do more with less.

COVID-19 has made us realise the need to work on health solutions at low cost and large scale. We can become a guiding light for global efforts to ensure the health and well being of humanity.

We should invest in innovations to make sure our farmers have access to information, machinery, and markets no matter what the situation, that our citizens have access to essential goods.

Opportunity:

Every crisis brings with it an opportunity. COVID-19 is no different.

Let us evaluate what might be the new opportunities/growth areas that would emerge now.

Rather than playing catch up, India must be ahead of the curve in the post-COVID world. Let us think about how our people, our skills sets, our core capabilities can be used in doing so.

Universalism:

COVID-19 does not see race, religion, colour, caste, creed, language or border before striking.

Our response and conduct thereafter should attach primacy to unity and brotherhood.

We are in this together.

Unlike previous moments in history, when countries or societies faced off against each other, today we are together facing a common challenge. The future will be about togetherness and resilience.

The next big ideas from India should find global relevance and application. They should have the ability to drive a positive change not merely for India but for the entire humankind.

Logistics was previously only seen through the prism of physical infrastructure – roads, warehouses, ports. But logistical experts these days can control global supply chains through the comfort of their own homes.

India, with the right blend of the physical and the virtual can emerge as the global nerve centre of complex modern multinational supply chains in the post COVID-19 world. Let us rise to that occasion and seize this opportunity.

I urge you all to think about this and contribute to the discourse.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/life-era-covid-19-narendra-modi/?published=t

AJK

Reading PM's thoughts, below are some thoughts that came into my mind, thinking globally. We are in this mess together, together as human species, for survival.. Just 2 cents input from myself....

We should say sorry to nature for what we have done, by banning all excessive timber businesses like that’s happening in Amazon forests and some countries, and planting more greenery across the globe, by all nations. Greenery is like lung for the planet’s living ecosystem, the base producer of energy for all living beings on the planet. So, forests should be strictly protected around the globe by UNSC. Also, capture and consumption of endangered and potentially harmful exotic animals/birds, no matter however traditional it seems, should be strictly banned by UNSC, as it is becoming a matter of global security.

Nations should give up amassing bioweapons if any and instead contribute to the collective ecosystem for the survival of our species. We may not be able to effectively survive another pandemic in a decade at least.. Instead countries should focus on effective availability of basic needs such as natural food – having enough antitoxins and nutrition - and drinking water, as I think there’s going to be a scarcity of which in the coming decade if we continue the trajectory of unintelligent technological development that’s ongoing, forgetting agriculture needs. There’s a saying, “Culture of cultures is Agriculture.” It’s the basic reason behind human evolution/civilization.

We should give up technologies that potentially harm nature through pollution mainly, and adapt to innovations that are nature friendly such as EVs, discouraging business entities that don’t keep effective waste management globally. Actually we cannot mess up with a higher consciousness of nature, higher than ours, especially when we have to make a living inside of it.. Yes, I feel nature possess collective consciousness, and can act as an organism. Just like we mortals are made up of trillions of living cells and the “individual” is actually a collective consciousness of the whole ecosystems of cells on the body.. So, nature should be protected.. because next time, we may not be able to even rescue the life of nature itself..

Good education should be made available free by govt schools/colleges, in an effort to use human resources of any country effectively for the sake of economy. Pupils should be given chance to independently select their desired nature of work to contribute to the economy. Anyone sitting idle after graduation, if not disabled or having to do home needs, should be considered as a mild offence to country'e economy.

There are millions of self-made experts on different streams of subjects without a proper accredited certificate. They should be given, either chance to testify independently to acquire a govt approved certificate, or should be given chance of work - based on the proficiency he/she possess on respective stream, to be able to be part of and contribute to the economy. A very few institutions are giving job opportunity to self-made certificate-less experts. This should be made wide for the sake of economy, and be given fair chance to prove the expertise they have.

The strength of economy of a country is it's human resource and the expertise it has. So helping them should be also to gain knowledge/competence themselves to contribute back to the economy.

Last edited:
Reading PM's thoughts, below are some thoughts that came into my mind, thinking globally. We are in this mess together, together as human species, for survival.. Just 2 cents input from myself....

We should say sorry to nature for what we have done, by banning all excessive timber businesses like that’s happening in Amazon forests and some countries, and planting more greenery across the globe, by all nations. Greenery is like lung for the planet’s living ecosystem, the base producer of energy for all living beings on the planet. So, forests should be strictly protected around the globe by UNSC. Also, capture and consumption of endangered and potentially harmful exotic animals/birds, no matter however traditional it seems, should be strictly banned by UNSC, as it is becoming a matter of global security.

Nations should give up amassing bioweapons if any and instead contribute to the collective ecosystem for the survival of our species. We may not be able to effectively survive another pandemic in a decade at least.. Instead countries should focus on effective availability of basic needs such as natural food – having enough antitoxins and nutrition - and drinking water, as I think there’s going to be a scarcity of which in the coming decade if we continue the trajectory of unintelligent technological development that’s ongoing, forgetting agriculture needs. There’s a saying, “Culture of cultures is Agriculture.” It’s the basic reason behind human evolution/civilization.

We should give up technologies that potentially harm nature through pollution mainly, and adapt to innovations that are nature friendly such as EVs, discouraging business entities that don’t keep effective waste management globally. Actually we cannot mess up with a higher consciousness of nature, higher than ours, especially when we have to make a living inside of it.. Yes, I feel nature possess collective consciousness, and can act as an organism. Just like we mortals are made up of trillions of living cells and the “individual” is actually a collective consciousness of the whole ecosystems of cells on the body.. So, nature should be protected.. because next time, we may not be able to even rescue the life of nature itself..

Good education should be made available free by govt schools/colleges, in an effort to use human resources of any country effectively for the sake of economy. Pupils should be given chance to independently select their desired nature of work to contribute to the economy. Anyone sitting idle after graduation, if not disabled or having to do home needs, should be considered as a mild offence to country'e economy.

There are millions of self-made experts on different streams of subjects without a proper accredited certificate. They should be given, either chance to testify independently to acquire a govt approved certificate, or should be given chance of work - based on the proficiency he/she possess on respective stream, to be able to be part of and contribute to the economy. A very few institutions are giving job opportunity to self-made certificate-less experts. This should be made wide for the sake of economy, and be given fair chance to prove the expertise they have.

The strength of economy of a country is it's human resource and the expertise it has. So helping them should be also to gain knowledge/competence themselves to contribute back to the economy.
History tell us noting of this sort is going to happen . . .

There is going to be a huge power struggle between countries, blocks, states, communities etc.

Everyone wants to take advantage of the situation, nothing like a good crisis for profiteering . . .

Its sad but that's the way it is

The way I see it is :

A lot more people are going to be sitting at home. The rates of the craftsmen like carpenter, electrician will go up because the people will not develop handyman skills, preferring "online" schemes. We are probably going to see a huge rise in consumption.

https://in.yahoo.com/news/while-world-reels-coronavirus-next-183442836.html

While the world reels from coronavirus, the next pandemic is waiting in the wings
Evgeny Lebedev
The Independentyesterday

Reuters

The mountains are high and the emperor is far away, goes the Chinese proverb. Over the years, the chorus of warnings on the wildlife trade and sale of live animals has steadily grown louder.

For too long, governments across the world have made overtures to curb this crisis of animal rights, but they have turned a blind eye to the continued growth of the industry in their own backyards. The threat to public health has been known to us for centuries, even since the Black Death.

But it is not going away. Rather it is becoming a more serious and sustained threat to the modern world. Indeed, zoonotic diseases are responsible for 2.5 billion cases of human illness and 2.7 million deaths every year around the world. As human civilisation expands into more animal habitats, and the exploitation of the natural world continues, these infectious diseases are likely to become ever more common.

Researchers and experts have been warning of the threat of zoonotic viruses from Asia’s wildlife trade for some time. One academic paper from 2017 warns that the rise of China, a “cradle” of such diseases since the Black Death, would almost certainly herald a new wave.

Income growth means more Chinese consumers can afford the rare meats seen as “luxury”, fuelling the demand that leads to smuggling, corruption and illegal markets. Urbanisation increases the risk of a disease becoming an epidemic. And globalisation brings China closer to the world. Just as the bubonic plague bacteria spread across the ancient silk roads to reach Europe, the coronavirus was carried from Wuhan across the globe in Boeing 747s and cruise liners.

While huge swathes of the rest of the world pull down the shutters on shops, businesses and markets, and impose lockdowns to halt the terrifying spread of the disease, there are markets in filthy conditions across China and southeast Asia selling live animals. The general trend is that territories further from Beijing and the east coast have more flagrant abuses.

China’s growing international clout also threatens to ramp up the illegal wildlife trade. While it has traditionally relied upon its close neighbours, Myanmar, Vietnam and Laos, for certain animals such as pangolins and dogs, its global ambitions could change this.

Its Belt and Road Initiative, a massive state-backed programme of investment across 60 countries to stimulate growth and trade and cement influence, might ease the illegal wildlife trade and put habitats of rare species like Asian brown bears and Persian leopards within reach, according to an article in one nature journal.

China has taken steps to control the wildlife trade. In February, it instituted a temporary ban on selling and eating wild animals, and authorities moved to close markets across the country. At the beginning of this month, the Ministry of Agriculture hinted that the dog meat trade could be outlawed.

Jill Robinson, the founder of an organisation that runs animal sanctuaries in China and Vietnam for trafficked bears, warned me that we need a sea change in our attitude towards animals and the cultural practices surrounding their treatment.

“Markets have unsanitary conditions, and vast amounts of antibiotics are being used simply to keep the animals alive. This latest outbreak calls for great change globally and no country is immune. Governments must now take the decision to make massive and sweeping change or risk the next deadly virus that is waiting in the wings.

AJK

The way I see it is :

A lot more people are going to be sitting at home. The rates of the craftsmen like carpenter, electrician will go up because the people will not develop handyman skills, preferring "online" schemes. We are probably going to see a huge rise in consumption.
Just like in market, every fall is an opportunity for long-term. Hope businesses would find opportunities in the situation.