Day Traders Lounge.

We normally install programs in program files, but is there any reason behind it. And what if we do not instal a program in program files.

Suppose I have 2 hard disks in my computer system. One for windows (A) and other for data storage (B).

Now what is the difference, or to say, does it make any difference in working, if
1. I instal a program in hard disk A, but not in program files but in same drive C.
2. I instal a program in hard disk A, but not in program files but in an other drive, say D.
3. I instal a program in hard disk B

We normally install programs in program files, but is there any reason behind it. And what if we do not instal a program in program files.

Suppose I have 2 hard disks in my computer system. One for windows (A) and other for data storage (B).

Now what is the difference, or to say, does it make any difference in working, if
1. I instal a program in hard disk A, but not in program files but in same drive C.
2. I instal a program in hard disk A, but not in program files but in an other drive, say D.
It's ok. Most of the programs ask you to define a path for installing the files. You can define your path there.

Generally only a few system files require you to install the files in specific path.

Thanks bhai
Actually, I am planning for an assembled desktop with following requirement

1. 128 GB SSD hard disk for Windows (or a 64 GB will also do) OS W7
2. 1 TB 2nd hard disk for data storage etc.
3. 4 or 6 GB hard RAM

and other things, as required.

Timepass bro, do you like to suggest, something in particular.
Thanks

I have been out of mainstream computer sector for a long time, so no recommendations :). Just that isn't win 7 old ? Win 7 ultimate is great to work with, but if you aren't working with windows internals, why not use win 8 ? I have used both (presently win 8) and there is hardly any difference for the user.

I don't think so is there any difference in installing the programs in other drive or folders (except for few windows own drivers/ files). In my opinion its just a specific folder where all application's files reside, so one can be conscious while playing with some files in program files folder or do not modify/ delete accidentally.

ocil

There is no advantage of installing a program on disk B. When you installed a program in disk A program folder. windows monitor or restrict the program to damage the system files. That's why some software developer told us to install software in c drive root to get full access to the drive.

Windows runs 32-bit applications on 64-bit versions of Windows using something called WOW64, which stands for “Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit.”
When you run a 32-bit program on a 64-bit edition of Windows, the WOW64 emulation layer seamlessly redirects its file access from “C:\Program Files” to “C:\Program Files (x86).” The 32-bit program tries to access the Program Files directory and is pointed to the Program Files (x86) folder. 64-bit programs still use the normal Program Files folder.

This also helps when a developer creates both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of an application, especially if both need to be installed at once in some situations. The 32-bit version automatically installs to C:\Program Files (x86), and the 64-bit version automatically installs to the C:\Program Files. If Windows used a single folder, the application’s developer would have to have the 64-bit folder install to a different folder to keep them separate. And there would likely be no real standard for where developers installed different versions.