CRICKET BIDDING JUSTIFIED?

• NO

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • YES

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
H

hari09omkar

So you want a fight? dont be a hypocrat. try and think un-biased. you criticise people for being cricket afficianados and you yourself support football with your life.

Anyways, Here are few points from me worth considering:

1. football was not born popular. at some stage it was as naive as cricket is. this initiative in cricket is to copy footballs mantra (buying and selling players) and go global.

2. BCCI intends to share its revenue with all boards. I think it is because it wants IPL to be global. In a few years, you can expect IPL played in US with US team lead by sachin. It is a tried and tested formulae that worked in footbal and is now being applied in cricket.

3. Last but not the least, dude, you are straying off the subject. the discussion is not wether football is better or not. My point was "all indians have the right to earn at par with their counterparts in the world".
U understand what is entertainment industry? Then u would have understood the reason why an entertainment package must be of shorter duration,the reason of success of soccer....the reason of unsuccess of cricket and hindi cinema.We are not a good sporting nation.We are zero in athletics,swimming,jimnastics,table tennis,tennis.......how many sports would I count? For a brief look at India's medal numbers in olympics and asian games.But suddenly we became hero(??) in cricket? To become successful to the root cause of poverty,we have to grow as a team......Ambani became 1 lakh crore pati,so what is the effect on my maid? Beckham himself is an industry.....One football match will mean an income day for numerous people,without wasting the time value of the nation.
AndThe discussion is not what u stated in colour,for the menu,please look at the thread title.
Why are u saying this in vibrant voice that our cricketer has the right to earn at par with others in the world? Don't u know that the Indian cricket board is the richest cricket board in the world(and controlled by most unprofessionals,who never played the game,neither went to the university to learn sports management!!),and our cricketers already earn more than any one else(in cricket) in the world?
When we lose at the Olympics we invariably hear the excuse that the countries that win give more money to sports and hence have better facilties. We in India are poor, they say, and we have other priorities...

What about cricket? BCCI is the richest cricketing organization in the world. Cricketers from every country come to India to model in advertisements and make money. Their own countries do not pay them as much as they can earn in India. Yet who are the world champions? Australia!

Let us look at this irony in further detail. The World Champions of Cricket are undoubtably Australia. In Australia the most popular sport is Rugby. Then Soccer. Then Swimming. Then Yachting and only then Cricket! So an Australian teenager would choose which sport to play in that order. So the Australian who dint get into any of those other sports would end up playing cricket!

Now let us look at India. Cricket is by far the most popular sport. No other sport comes close. We have the most money. Even in England the stadiums are full only when India and Pakistan play. Yet the stadiums in England, Australia, South Africa look so much better maintained. The grass is greener and better looking. The pitches are bouncier and firmer.
[Courtsey:sulekha.com]
If u never said that G.B.Shaw is american,then why u at all said:"he should not comment on anything non-america when we never comment on so called american soccer" ??? What that mean,fizzler sahab? Why u related him with America at all? Now without knowing the history of Shaw,the superstar playwright,u r pretending to know about him and writing irrelevant things......Isn't this hypocracy?

Last edited by a moderator:

oxusmorouz

Last edited:
H

hari09omkar

I mean by the same way of making Durga Puja a survival event not only for Bengalis in kumartuli,but for the other craftsmen around India also.....because of it's acceptance in nature....Same will go for EED and Christmas.....global.... They are not just religious festivals,but a part of broader industry.....Cricket is not global,10 country,that too without any selection tournament like pre-world cup in football.....
Football is so popular,that the Olympics people decided not to allow players of more than 23(earlier,don't know current age-status) years of age,except for two to three players(may be)....Reason: They fear that then it will engulf most public to its lap,what will happe to other sports?
It's an industry already set up.....
Also regarding cricket in Ozzie, I've taken this from wikipedia, which I hope acts as a more reliable source:
U mean by the sweeney research report? Ya the research ended for sweeney at March,and the article from which I quoted was posted at March,so a gap of updation has been seen.
Ok then...let's talk about the latest.....The 2006-07 report made it a 59%,which is +5 % than the previous,And swimming had 57% ,a dcline of - 4 %.....
"Cricket has for the first time become the outright leader in the Sweeney Sports Report’s table of sports in which Australians are most interested.
It has eclipsed swimming which has been the most popular or equal most popular
sport since the summer of 1991-92." - from the same report.
U can see that numbers of attendance of audience and the Radio has made it the top,not the participation.Swimming has a smaller crowd accomodatiion facility,than a cricket stadium.Look at the comparison:
Cricket:Attendance:22%,Participation:13%,Radio:16%
Swimming:Attendance:7%,Participation:34%,Radio:2%
Who will listen to Radio for swimming results?
Not only that,even Tennis,Cycling,Gym workout,Running sports and many other sports have more participation than this Bat-ball time-suck.All are behind this year in terms of 'interest',because of the big stadiums cricket need and by that way raising the attendance of public,which is one of the the key for it's making it to the top interest for the first time.
And wiki has many different thinkers......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mediation_Cabal/Cases/2008-01-19_Australian_rules_football

U understand what is entertainment industry? Then u would have understood the reason why an entertainment package must be of shorter duration please enlighten me why/??,the reason of success of soccer....the reason of unsuccess of cricket if a game is #2 to soccer then it doesnt mean its unsuccessfull and hindi cinema.We are not a good sporting nation agreed so we should pay less to cricketers?.We are zero in athletics(PT USHA),swimming,jimnastics,table tennis,tennis (wooo. you sure live in a different world...golf? chess? F1? hockey? shooting? want more? ).......how many sports would I count? For a brief look at India's medal numbers in olympics and asian games.But suddenly we became hero(??) in cricket? I cant relate your last two sentences To become successful to the root cause of poverty,we have to grow as a team woo are you sleepy? writing in midnight? cant understand this......Ambani became 1 lakh crore pati,so what is the effect on my maid? great Beckham himself is an industry.....One football match will mean an income day for numerous people,without wasting the time value of the nation.
AndThe discussion is not what u stated in colour,for the menu,please look at the thread title.
Why are u saying this in vibrant voice that our cricketer has the right to earn at par with others in the world? Don't u know that the Indian cricket board is the richest cricket board in the world(and controlled by most unprofessionals,who never played the game,neither went to the university to learn sports management!!),and our cricketers already earn more than any one else(in cricket) in the world?
[Courtsey:sulekha.com]
If u never said that G.B.Shaw is american,then why u at all said:"he should not comment on anything non-america when we never comment on so called american soccer" ??? What that mean,fizzler sahab? Why u related him with America at all? Now without knowing the history of Shaw,the superstar playwright,u r pretending to know about him and writing irrelevant things......Isn't this hypocracy?
I just want to write down your points in above para...i cant help giggling.
1. Cricket is unsuccessfull...only football is successfull.
2. you cant recall any indian success story apart from cricket...whatever happened to jyoti randhava, mr kartikeyan, sania mirza?, leander? hockey stars? vishwanathan anand......
3. To become successful to the root cause of poverty,we have to grow as a team....:p so football is a team effort and cricket is not...hahaha
4. Ambani became 1 lakh crore pati,so what is the effect on my maid? this is the best one...lolz
5. One football match will mean an income day for numerous people...and cricket will not...actually cricket lasts longer...lolz
6. cricket board officails neither went to the university to learn sports management
7. Now without knowing the history of Shaw,the superstar playwright,u r pretending to know about him....come on dude....

Gosh.....let me close this post and first laugh my heart out...

oxusmorouz

I mean by the same way of making Durga Puja a survival event not only for Bengalis in kumartuli,but for the other craftsmen around India also.....because of it's acceptance in nature....Same will go for EED and Christmas.....global.... They are not just religious festivals,but a part of broader industry.....Cricket is not global,10 country,that too without any selection tournament like pre-world cup in football.....
Agreed, it is not a widely accepted game in most parts of the world. However, considering that India's population is 1.1 billion and one in ten, in the least, follow cricket, that still gives you 110 million people who watch the sport in India alone, which is about 5% of the world's population!

Besides, one factor which distinguishes football from cricket is the existence of an organized league system. A significant portion of the money made by the football clubs in poorer countries (like Brazil and especially Argentina) comes from player transfers to Eu clubs. Their football associations are so poor, that they are actually opposing to the idea of remunerating their players when on international duty. Ronaldhino earns about 15m pounds a year, and if retained for a month during the world cup, that would mean paying him a million pounds odd...multiple times the total net worth of most FAs! Do you really believe that the poor fans in Brazil and Argentina really benefit from this? They are as crazy about football as some Indians are about cricket, no other difference.

Football is so popular,that the Olympics people decided not to allow players of more than 23(earlier,don't know current age-status) years of age,except for two to three players(may be)....Reason: They fear that then it will engulf most public to its lap,what will happe to other sports?
It's an industry already set up.....
How many of the players above 23 do you really believe will be willing to play for their nation in the Olympics? Have a look at the Brazilian squad for the Copa America which got over last summer:

Goalkeepers: Diego (Atletico Mineiro), Doni (Roma), Helton (Porto)

Defence: Alex Silva (Sao Paulo), Alex, Edu Dracena (Fenerbahce), Juan (Bayer Leverkusen), Naldo (Werder Bremen), Tiago Silva (Fluminense), Cicinho, Marcelo (both Real Madrid), Daniel Alves (Sevilla), Gilberto (Hertha Berin), Kleber (Santos), Maicon (Internazionale)

Midfield: Edmilson (Barcelona), Fernando (Bordeaux), Gilberto Silva (Arsenal), Josue (Sao Paulo), Lincoln (Schalke 04), Mineiro (Hertha Berlin), Diego (Werder Bremen), Elano (Shakhtar Donetsk), Julio Baptista, Robinho (both Real Madrid), Morais (Vasco da Gama), Ze Roberto (Santos)

Attack: Afonso (Heerenveen), Anderson (Porto), Carlos Eduardo (Gremio), Fred (Lyon), Jo, Vagner Love (both CSKA Moscow), Rafael Sobis (Betis).
The team was bereft of star studded names including Kaka, Ronaldhino, Adriano, Julio Cesar, Luisiao, Juan and many others who opted to "rest" to concentrate on the upcoming season in the league football than to participate in the competition! Also, consider the cases of Jammie Carraghar who had retired from international football at the age of 28 to concentrate on his "league" career with Liverpool! Ironical isn't it? We also have cases of John Obi Mikel of Chelsea and Obefemi Martins of Newcastle who literally faked injury to stay and play for the clubs instead of their nation! And you talk about poor people benefiting from international football?

U mean by the sweeney research report? Ya the research ended for sweeney at March,and the article from which I quoted was posted at March,so a gap of updation has been seen.
Ok then...let's talk about the latest.....The 2006-07 report made it a 59%,which is +5 % than the previous,And swimming had 57% ,a dcline of - 4 %.....
"Cricket has for the first time become the outright leader in the Sweeney Sports Report’s table of sports in which Australians are most interested.
It has eclipsed swimming which has been the most popular or equal most popular
sport since the summer of 1991-92." - from the same report.
U can see that numbers of attendance of audience and the Radio has made it the top,not the participation.Swimming has a smaller crowd accomodatiion facility,than a cricket stadium.Look at the comparison:
Cricket:Attendance:22%,Participation:13%,Radio:16%
Swimming:Attendance:7%,Participation:34%,Radio:2%
Who will listen to Radio for swimming results?
Not only that,even Tennis,Cycling,Gym workout,Running sports and many other sports have more participation than this Bat-ball time-suck.All are behind this year in terms of 'interest',because of the big stadiums cricket need and by that way raising the attendance of public,which is one of the the key for it's making it to the top interest for the first time.
And wiki has many different thinkers......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mediation_Cabal/Cases/2008-01-19_Australian_rules_football
Isn't attendance the primary factor which triggers expenditure? Also, isn't it obvious that swimming, cycling, gym workout, running etc require only the individual and not half a dozen players to be involved, thus making it easier to practice and hence the participation?
Also, I fail to understand why any capitalist, even in his most bizzare mindset, would not increase the stadium capacity when there are potential viewers who would increase his profitability?

H

hari09omkar

Where?

I just want to write down your points in above para...i cant help giggling.
3. To become successful to the root cause of poverty,we have to grow as a team....:p so football is a team effort and cricket is not...hahaha
4. Ambani became 1 lakh crore pati,so what is the effect on my maid? this is the best one...lolz
5. One football match will mean an income day for numerous people...and cricket will not...actually cricket lasts longer...lolz
6. cricket board officails neither went to the university to learn sports management
7. Now without knowing the history of Shaw,the superstar playwright,u r pretending to know about him....
Gosh.....let me close this post and first laugh my heart out...
Laughing is what u meant or just copy-pastng my points? For copy-pasting,u r given 100 points.....for laughing on ur losing points,u r also given 100 points!:p

H

hari09omkar

Also, I fail to understand why any capitalist, even in his most bizzare mindset, would not increase the stadium capacity when there are potential viewers who would increase his profitability?
U failed to understand who is making money in cricket!It's the local authority(BCCI),the body of hardcore businessmen,politicians,the advertiser companies,the tv channels,a handful of national cricketers....where is the second line first class players(who are huge in numbers)....in this picture and where is the am-admi?
The money is going to the capitalists,came from them too......poors are remaining same.....the subject matter of this thread.
However, considering that India's population is 1.1 billion and one in ten, in the least, follow cricket, that still gives you 110 million people who watch the sport in India alone, which is about 5% of the world's population!
That's a shame for us! 1.1 bilion people and we are so strong that not a single olympic gold medal ever(except the pre-historic Dhyanchand and afterwards era)? Look at our position in the world stage of sports!

If 1.1 billion people's 9 tenth are not interested in this bogus game,that's good....they are more interested in earning a salary more than 80 rupees a day.It is the failure of India's sports policy that we are so dull in sports and hence wasting our time in a colonial product which is underrated in their origin country itself.US,Japan both have their own preference on sports.....but they are very very successful on the other sports and the winners of the kudos of world-stage.
And there is a term called class.If all of India shouts cricket(which is definitely not the case),then also it doesn't mean anything.The same problem is also with our Indian Cinema.Hindi and South films have large audience.But put one Shivaji,one Dilwale dulhania le jayenge (my favourite though),which has a record time staying in a single theatre hall,to any prestigious world film festival to win the prize,forget oscar,I will take ur point of quantity.But till then it's quality over quantity,class over cheapness,Titanic over Kaho na payar hai....
They are as crazy about football as some Indians are about cricket, no other difference.

Cricket requires much much less athletic skill than football,hard work is a primary policy there,exactly the place where India is lacking.With professional sports management and athletic guidance,India will become a gigantic force in sporting industry,where football has to be the top.Our huge failure in sporting field can't be hidden by the media by bringing this David Boon-Mike Gatting-Ashok Malhotra's game.We are failure in every athletic and body strength game.And you say the fantasy of cricket in India and hard working Brazil's revolution and Rebellion against the world same? They don't shy their face away from being sportingly athletic like my country. Don't forget Brazil has 5 Gold medals in last Olympics.

And you talk about poor people benefiting from international football?

U still have doubts?
A game which needs a ground and which is to be worked on specially to build a part where it will be played,i.e. pitch,22 bats(pretty expensive willows),Two balls(more actually),22 helmets,God knows how many guards(arm guard,chest guard,abdominal guard,thigh guard or pad,guard on that part;)....continued?),24 pairs of gloves and 24 pairs of pads(one extra pair of pads and gloves each for the wicket keepers as the glove and pad for wicket keeping is different from the ones to bat!!!),is meant for the well-to-do families' children,not for the poors.
But a game which requires a sizeable ground,2 pairs of gloves and a ball,is definitely meant for the poors.It is evident that the most footballers in the best clubs in our country including Kolkta trios:East Bengal,MohunBagan and Mohammedan sporting,come from poor and lower middle class families.Not only here,the one u mentioned,Brazil,being a poor country,being the victim of the big guys,have pronounced an unseen war so far against this world ...not to be supressed by poverty.Football requiring so much little accessories,easily attract the not-so-well hard working children.They dream on this sport.They made this game a survival and celebrating event...Their essence is not their poverty.No.Their essence is their entertainment value.They told the world - look we are so poor,but we will make this world look at our feet for the most popular sports in the universe....we will sell us.Buy me at my price,I will give u entertainment of what u want,at ur terms....I will dribble to the extent of beauty of the work of gods in the heavens.....They conquired the world.A third class player in Brazil's third class club will earn handsomely in a country like India,where football ranking is three figure in the world(we are ranked at 143 by December news)!But even a first grade player like Tendulkar from India will have to search for a people who knows his name in Brazil,forget of paying him.Not only Brazil,the poorer coutries,like the ones in the Africa,(Nigeria,Kenya et all),can dream of making an income more than an MBA,by just being on the list of the worldcuppers,even if he wasn't selected for the final eleven.Remember Chima Okeri? He wasn't even a worldcupper! I want my country to rise on the shoulders of the poor Indians,for whom Roti-Kapra-Makan matters,who can arrange atleast a tin pouch to play and dream,like Diego did.....like Pele did.Like Zedan did.
And the term of Swamiji(not originally) fit for the people mad for the game of cricket is 'kupamanduka'.And now the great knowledgeable(!!!) member will comment on Vivekananda,like his irrelevant and false comment on George Barnard Shaw???
"You will be nearer to Heaven through football than through a study of the Gita"
- Swami Vivekanada.
P.K.Banerji once told beautifully how Swamiji was ecstatic of the game because of it's nature of the concentration of the players of one single target - goal.The Monk was a visionary to India's rise....
Let me brief:A festival brings money for the poors and the Nation.A huge public gathering,like the kumbh mela,like huge spiritual Satsangs of our beloved Saints help in having an income for the people who are am-admi,even for them who are not-so-spiritual.A game which is global in nature and played in 90 minutes generally and can be played in more numbers in less time will attract global audience,thus enriching the hotel industry,the transport industry,the food industry.....Because of it's high entertainment value,it will be an income generator than any of the entertainment industry,including the Bollywood and Tollywood.

oxusmorouz

U failed to understand who is making money in cricket!It's the local authority(BCCI),the body of hardcore businessmen,politicians,the advertiser companies,the tv channels,a handful of national cricketers....where is the second line first class players(who are huge in numbers)....in this picture and where is the am-admi?
No doubt. Very valid. As I said, this can almost solely be attributed to the absence of a proper league system.

That's a shame for us! 1.1 bilion people and we are so strong that not a single olympic gold medal ever(except the pre-historic Dhyanchand and afterwards era)? Look at our position in the world stage of sports!
There is one point being missed here and it is criminal to blame it on cricket. The physical training in school is bad, in fact, it's terrible. Ever wondered why our fielding sucks when compared with Ozzie? I've not heard of a school which breeds gymnasts or a school which concentrates on athletics at least here in Chennai. Why blame cricket when the fault actually lies at the bottom of the pyramid?

And there is a term called class.If all of India shouts cricket(which is definitely not the case),then also it doesn't mean anything.The same problem is also with our Indian Cinema.Hindi and South films have large audience.But put one Shivaji,one Dilwale dulhania le jayenge (my favourite though),which has a record time staying in a single theatre hall,to any prestigious world film festival to win the prize,forget oscar,I will take ur point of quantity.But till then it's quality over quantity,class over cheapness,Titanic over Kaho na payar hai....
I do not get the point. Why else do people make cinemas, which earn oscars but end up as great flops? Art for the sake of art is not a good idea in fields where anything more than personal skills are involved. (As a producer would say : Hey buddy, tell that to the bankers!)

With professional sports management and athletic guidance,India will become a gigantic force in sporting industry,where football has to be the top.
What has to be at the top, I dare say, is at the top.

A game which needs a ground and which is to be worked on specially to build a part where it will be played,i.e. pitch,22 bats(pretty expensive willows),Two balls(more actually),22 helmets,God knows how many guards(arm guard,chest guard,abdominal guard,thigh guard or pad,guard on that part;)....continued?),24 pairs of gloves and 24 pairs of pads(one extra pair of pads and gloves each for the wicket keepers as the glove and pad for wicket keeping is different from the ones to bat!!!),is meant for the well-to-do families' children,not for the poors.
So are medical studies, engineering, computers, and a whole range of academic fields. If these were excluded, the only activity would remain would be farming. There is this automatic phenomenon, an invisible hand you may say, which drives people's likes and dislikes. If people don't like a sport, they simply won't like it! As history states it, cricket was a game played by the elite, football by the hooligans, the difference in liking would exist in the proportion of each of these sects in the total population (No offense to football fans, I've been a hardcore fan of Manchester United for 7 years myself. This does "not" intrude with my liking for cricket however!).

Not only here,the one u mentioned,Brazil,being a poor country,being the victim of the big guys,have pronounced an unseen war so far against this world ...not to be supressed by poverty.Football requiring so much little accessories,easily attract the not-so-well hard working children.They dream on this sport.They made this game a survival and celebrating event...Their essence is not their poverty.No.Their essence is their entertainment value.They told the world - look we are so poor,but we will make this world look at our feet for the most popular sports in the universe....we will sell us.Buy me at my price,I will give u entertainment of what u want,at ur terms....I will dribble to the extent of beauty of the work of gods in the heavens.....They conquired the world.A third class player in Brazil's third class club will earn handsomely in a country like India,where football ranking is three figure in the world(we are ranked at 143 by December news)!But even a first grade player like Tendulkar from India will have to search for a people who knows his name in Brazil,forget of paying him.Not only Brazil,the poorer coutries,like the ones in the Africa,(Nigeria,Kenya et all),can dream of making an income more than an MBA,by just being on the list of the worldcuppers,even if he wasn't selected for the final eleven.Remember Chima Okeri? He wasn't even a worldcupper! I want my country to rise on the shoulders of the poor Indians,for whom Roti-Kapra-Makan matters,who can arrange atleast a tin pouch to play and dream,like Diego did.....like Pele did.Like Zedan did.
Then why not promote chess? It's a very economical game (surely more economical than football) and could earn millions for these African guys if successful! We do not play games for the purpose of making the poor earn money, we play for the sake of entertainment! The former must always succeed the latter, and it usually always does. I fail to understand your bias for football over other games/sports.

kkseal

It's all about economics - what sells in which mkt. In India the biggest mkt for sports lies in cricket, so that's where the money is flowing.

And no matter how much we berate Bollywood the amt of employment it generates is more than any other industry i think (specially if you include the regional film & TV).

Regards,
Kalyan.