Best ELSS (Equity Linked Savings Scheme) - II

Re: Suggestions on ELSS...plsssssss

Tax-saving funds for your portfolio
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/iw/2008/01/06/stories/2008010650551000.htm

Suitability: Most tax-saving funds have the Sensex, Nifty or the BSE-100 as their benchmark. But they tend to invest across market capitalisation ranges, with a substantial exposure to mid-cap stocks. Barring one or two funds, most of them invest at least 40 per cent of their assets in stocks with a market capitalisation of less than Rs 8,000 crore. Most of these funds sport a small asset base, which enables them to take advantage of opportunities in the mid-cap space. However, this also makes them more risky than a typical diversified fund.

Funds such as Magnum Tax Gain, Fidelity Tax Advantage, HDFC Tax Saver and Reliance Tax Saver have grown significantly in size in recent years, with their asset bases each greater than Rs 1,000 crore. Such funds now invest in a more even blend of large-cap and mid-cap stocks, as their size limits them from taking too heavy an exposure to mid-cap stocks.

Considering their higher risk profile and the lock-in period, it might be better to take the SIP route to investing in these funds.

Performance overview: A good number of tax-saving funds have outperformed the Sensex and the Nifty over the past year, but not by a huge margin. Despite a significant exposure to mid-caps however, their performance vis--vis the broader indices is not as impressive. Only four in 10 funds in the category outperformed the BSE-200 in this period.

In terms of performance, tax-saving funds, as a category, have largely kept pace with diversified funds over one-, three-year and five-year periods. However, there is a significant divergence in performance within the category.

In fact, while almost 20 funds have a prior performance record of five years and more, only a handful has managed to consistently beat the market during this period.

Magnum Taxgain, Sundaram Tax Saver, Birla Sun Life Tax Relief ’96, Principal Personal Tax Saver and Principal Tax Saving fund outperformed the BSE-200 in at least four out of five years. These funds maintained their lead over the market over the past year as well.

Preferred picks: Magnum Taxgain, Sundaram Tax Saver and Birla Sun Life Tax Relief ’96 are among our preferred picks. Magnum Taxgain has gained a more large-cap focus in recent years, owing to a swelling asset base.

It figures somewhere in the middle of the fund rankings over a one-year period. Nevertheless, it remains among our preferred funds owing to its superior long-term track record.

There are other funds that have a good five-year track record but have slipped in the last two years, such as ICICI Prudential Tax Plan, HDFC Tax Saver and HDFC Long Term Advantage. Investors may wait for a pick-up in performance in these funds before contemplating fresh exposures.

Last edited:
Tax Saving Mutual Fund

I want to invest in tax saving mutual funds..and decided to invest 10K each in SBI Magnum & Fidliety Tax Advantage ..Is my choice right..plz guide me..:)

Re: Which ELSS mutual fund is best for TAX saving..

sbi elss tax saver or hdfc tax saver
Sorry but I'll add that they have been not so good in last three months and thus depends what's the view you endorse in long term. As a calculated gamble one can also think of putting a small fraction in Taurus Libra tax Shield as being under 12 crore it stands better chance of being managed more efficiently.:)

Regards,
SB

ELSS Funds !

Hello,

I have invested 12000 in SBI Magnum Tax Gain 93 & another 4000 in Birla Sunlife Tax Relief 96 on 21st Jan. (I initally thought of doing SIP, but the since the markests fell, I did a lumpsum)

I am yet to invest 8000 in either of the above funds to complete my tax planning.

Initially, I had thought of investing 12000 in each of the funds, but after I came to know Birla Tax has only Dividend - Payout option and NO GROWTH option, I am bit confused.

Please advise if I should invest the balance in Birla Tax or SBI Magnum or a different ELSS altogether .

Thanks

Jeet