20% ROI per month on captial above 1 Cr possible?

marimuthu13

so main criteria for success is - how to screen and find 5 stock each day, rest is mechanical.
You can get any number of stocks for same criteria , say gap of 2% from yesterday closing, you may get 20 stocks...you can use further filter based % of gap...stocks with more gaps in descending order can be filter rules to pick only 5 ..or stock price in ascending order etc etc..have rule and follow it through....

niftytaurus

you are on the spot...forgot about results.....I meant to share the process not the results.. ( though my results are not from excel, it's from my trade book...)

few peoples got a way forward working with ORB...thats served my purpose of opening a thread..

there is 1000's way of trading in ORB... even in Timeframe, we have option from 5 min, 15 min, and 30 min... ( don't try in 1min)

The number of stocks also can vary from 1-20 stocks, ( yes 20 stocks ...there is a way to trade 20 stocks using 15 Min ORB)

Trade management also have N number of ways..like selecting half-length of 15 min range as SL so that Risk to reward becomes 1:2 , or instead of booking at TGT, leave the trade it until 3.15 PM... etc etc etc etc

stocks selection also has N number of ways... GAPS ( Direction of gaps, against GAPS), GAINERS/LOSERS, based on yesterday volatile and trend, based on the today first 15 min of stocks behavior etc etc etc etc etc etc...

whoever interested can develop their own system ... few inputs from my side is ,

1. Frame the rules, manually test it..no automation, u won't get the feel of the system...also when you manually test, you will get many ideas to make it to have a proper edge.

2. Entry - Keep it simple...Break of High/Low..thats it...don't try to add filter here like closing 1min tf above high/below low etc etc etc.....keep entry is simple, so that it is tradeable in all my market conditions...
Hi Marimathu Sir
Thanks for this intresting thread.I have some queries related to backtesting
a) Have you tested all 100-130 stocks manually on 15 min TF?
b) how much duration of data do you use for that testing?
c) how long did it take to test all 130 scripts?
Thanks

niftytaurus

136 stocks on screen ???

Scanning will give us stock list..

Just put high low of scanned stocks in excel to calculate qty ..that's it....once qty is calculated place stop loss limit order above high/below low in system, after entry place tgt and sl-m order in system...
hi
a)your target order is 1 order or 2 order? As you are not leveraging, so Bracket order is not possible?
b) Please write a detailed post on how to pick those stocks & how to scan stocks which is going to give good intraday move
Thanks

marimuthu13

Hi Marimathu Sir
Thanks for this intresting thread.I have some queries related to backtesting
a) Have you tested all 100-130 stocks manually on 15 min TF?
b) how much duration of data do you use for that testing?
c) how long did it take to test all 130 scripts?
Thanks
Hi

Yes..removed few stocks like idea , rest of stocks manual testing is done..

Tested from 2016-2019, and trading since 2019

Around 1 year as multiple levels addition and deletion happened...

marimuthu13

hi
a)your target order is 1 order or 2 order? As you are not leveraging, so Bracket order is not possible?
b) Please write a detailed post on how to pick those stocks & how to scan stocks which is going to give good intraday move
Thanks
Single target order as i dont use BO
Point B, that's the work you have to do..

mohan.sic

It should be 81 and 123

I have tested ORB but never got 70% win / loss (with RRR of > 1)
with the indices, for 1:1.5/2 it is around 35-40%,
adding some filters / buffer can go up to 50%

Even with around 45% win / loss and RR 1.25-1.5, the system gives a positive expectancy
I did not trade it as I did not like the profit ratio, but then I have tested it only on Index

Over a period, to simplify my trading, I had started focusing only on BNF and NF

Now this also can be another approach, instead of limiting the number of scrips to one / two
if one can limit the methods / patterns / or what you have to one or two
and then work with multiple tickers.

But again I am not sure I can start looking at 136 scrips :)

Anyway, if you feel like, do tell us something about your execution process,

do you have all these 136 scrip open on your trading terminal
how do you track them,
when do you apply the filter to them
what you trading screen looks like
how do you chart them, or don't use charts at all and manage trades using excel

etc. etc.

1. I guess No objective strategy can give 70% success rate with RR >1.5
2. Though I did not test, my thought is similar. In indices it can be 1:1.5 but I cannot imagine 1:2 at around 35-40%. My guess is 30% if you double the reward.
3. Yes adding filters can improve 10 to 20% or more depending upon the nature of filters. But major issue here is, in indices number of signals itself will be less and adding filters may reduce the count by more than 25%.

Anyways your numbers are very logical.

OK...

Now as I can see, you want to make fortunes using ORB. I can assure u, there are only a few fully mech trading strategies DO work in the intraday trading and ORB is one of them. So as far as strategy selection, ur on a right path.

Now, lets dig it a little deeper, I've backtested ORB methods with various Timeframes , stop sizing , limit trades per day, filtering probable non trending days etc etc.. on a very big chunk of data with option of portfolio trading etc..

So, it shows u a glorified results, and I must confess its too tempting. But when u trade this on 136 stocks, u will never know which out of 136 will give u a nice trending run on a given day. Even if u filter 5 stocks, still u need to have a great luck on ur side.

On the other had, u will have to deal with a lot of FAKEouts,.. Which r more likely to happen. Very next bar will give u breakout and third bar will eat up ur stop. And it happens , as i have traded ORB for a very long period of time. So u need to deal with that too.

More on it later

checkmate7

1. I guess No objective strategy can give 70% success rate with RR >1.5
2. Though I did not test, my thought is similar. In indices it can be 1:1.5 but I cannot imagine 1:2 at around 35-40%. My guess is 30% if you double the reward.
3. Yes adding filters can improve 10 to 20% or more depending upon the nature of filters. But major issue here is, in indices number of signals itself will be less and adding filters may reduce the count by more than 25%.

Anyways your numbers are very logical.
Yes this system after tweeking using some filters doesnt go beyond 50%...I have tested on single stocks and also on band of 10 big stocks for 10years data
but 50% is also not bad provided you take all the signal ...for people who loves Andhadhun trading....They can use this system.

But choosing from band of 136 stock would require a very good filter and then to take out top5 is the real thing which not everyone will reveal :) .....Thats called turup ka ekka (A)

sridhga

That’s why I said, selection criteria is only which matters here... how to select five stocks in morning which could give you 70% right trade

In addition, it also matters whether it is a trending or non-trending day. Even on range-bound days, extremes are tested only to be later pulled back. Since March 2020, this system must have worked, as the markets have trended a lot in one direction or the other.

One other thing with ORB that I noticed is that it is not just those 5 or 10 stocks. The other stocks that did not show much promise at open may sometimes move like determined soldiers going past the morning champions. To capture these underdogs, one needs to look beyond those 10 stocks and as well need to look beyond 15 min bar.

Moreover, this 15 minute thing is not etched in stone. The morning excitement may sometimes last up to 25 minutes.

Last edited: