When Technicals signal a Bear ?

kkseal

When you're not tempted to buy after mkts have corrected 30% - that's a Bear mkt imo. However Czars question was on Technicals.

Regards,
Kalyan.

C

Czar

Sudoku - Am not implying anything & am pessimist on the Indian markets but keep in mind: All the symptoms which you mentioned have been there in the market on every correction, especially comparing the May 2006 one we are ditto right now, there was chaos, atleast this time many were having fear of 20k top, in may 2006 a guy giving bearish views was literally ridiculed, lot of ipos came then too (esp our dear RPL, a day b4 the may crash), rest all the points you mentioned have been more or less there in every big correction in this bull market, so I would say people were more prepared this time than in may, only the new guys got thrashed (which is the usual case) & worst part is the increased activity on traderji has always signaled a mid-term top.... so we may be in a bear phase which we have had consistently every 6 months approx, till otherwise proven so.

KKseal: "When you're not tempted to buy after mkts have corrected 30% - that's a Bear mkt imo." - please remember all major corrections were faced with skepticism of the end of bull & participation dropped for the next few months. after may, till october people used to predict the next crash at every down day... & Volumes & O/I were less than half of the pre may period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Czar can we have the definition of a bear market?
Cause to me there is no bull or bear market, at any time u will find a bull and bear in the market ... even at 6300 and even at 4000

C

Czar

1992 & 2000 were perfect bears, forget the scams, 2000 it was a worldwide phenomena, when sellers overwhelm the buyers for an extended period we enter bear market & thus buyers give up in the later stage... fundamentals & supports are just silenced, say RIL drops from 3200 to 1600 & still don't find buyers be sure we are in bear & RIL can drop sub 1k levels, surely the RIL fans will give up then...

I would rather request we look into technicals that help us determine change in trend. Uptrend to downtrend and vice versa. I think apart from charts if someone could help us understand OI better it would be great.

C

CreditViolet

Problem is after the event has happened ,we will find the signals which where not then visible.
True. Most people want things generalized, (bull,bear,uptrend,downtrend,discipline,money-management,momentum etc etc) but money is made in specifics.