TT - Tech Talk (Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Mobiles, Devices, Systems & Software)

TracerBullet

Re: TT - Tech Talk (Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Mobiles, Devices, Systems & Software

Thank you TracerBullet. Appreciate your feedback.

1. Have decided to go for MTNL as the primary ISP. Will use Tata Internet backup. Unfortunately have been missing quite a few good fills due to time lag which is apparent with Tata Internet 1 MBPS connection, and so have decided to in for 10 MBPS/20 GB plan for Rs. 1,000+Taxes plan.

2. I am running NEST 12 scrips approx (NSE Index+Options+Commodities) and Trade Tiger with similar no of scripts. I spoke to Sharekhan Tech team and understand that TT data usage can be upto 200MB per day for entire stock and commodity session.

3. Another issue I presume would be with Quick Heal Anti Virus that has been installed for a few months since my last HDD crashed. I understand that its scan can be quite intrusive (continuous scan) Is it safe to disable it if the only other website used is TJ, Reuters, Investing dot com etc? Wondering....
1) Network quality is not necessarily related with bandwidth. 10mbps can be bad too, unless they deliberately give bad network to 1mbps
3) Why use it? I use Bitdefender free, runs fine and has never been a hassle.
I use it + windows firewall ( through tinywall interface ) as my only live running security sw.
Apart from that you can mantain your HOST file through HostMan to block known bad ips, use something like noscript, ublock origin in firefox, disable/clicktoplay flash and you are done. Still more? Try MS Emet for internet facing/risk-prone applications. All of this is free and probably better and hassle free once setup.

DSM

Re: TT - Tech Talk (Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Mobiles, Devices, Systems & Software

Thanks again Tracer Bullet.

1. Noted.
2. Will try Bitdefender.

3. Please explain - Whenever you can.

a. I am using Windows 7. Do I need to install Windows Firewall or is it default? How can I check?

b. What is Tinywall?

c. My default browser is Google Chrome. Suggest I switch to Firefox? And if I do, what needs to be done to enable blocking bad ips?

:thumb:

1) Network quality is not necessarily related with bandwidth. 10mbps can be bad too, unless they deliberately give bad network to 1mbps
3) Why use it? I use Bitdefender free, runs fine and has never been a hassle.
I use it + windows firewall ( through tinywall interface ) as my only live running security sw.
Apart from that you can mantain your HOST file through HostMan to block known bad ips, use something like noscript, ublock origin in firefox, disable/clicktoplay flash and you are done. Still more? Try MS Emet for internet facing/risk-prone applications. All of this is free and probably better and hassle free once setup.

TracerBullet

a. I am using Windows 7. Do I need to install Windows Firewall or is it default? How can I check?

b. What is Tinywall?

c. My default browser is Google Chrome. Suggest I switch to Firefox? And if I do, what needs to be done to enable blocking bad ips?

:thumb:
Note, all of this is just some mitigation.

a,b) Windows Firewall is enabled by default, i think it blocks all incoming - not sure. Tinywall is simpler interface for Windows firewall so that i can setup rules - make a list of programs that are allowed to connect (manually). I prefer this, but you can look for other interface programs / other firewalls too that will prompt you instead of manual configuration - it might be easier to manage. I used to use comodo before before switching to windows firewall.

c) No need to switch, u block origin seems is in chrome.
Dont know about no script, but again its just another tool to mitigate. It might seem as hassle initially, but once setup, it works fine and my cpu usage also reduces in browsing (it allows blocking javascripts selectively).

HostMan is nice portable tool to manage HOSTS - people make lists of bad hostnames with malware etc and this we put in HOST file and redirect it to 0.0.0.0 instead of using ip from dns. Basically it will block you from connecting to say malware.com. I use only few basic sources - you can read description in tool

Last edited:

DSM

Thanks TracerBullet,

I am a bit informed now. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Just for info : I went to MTNL to apply for 10 MBPS Internet connection. However, it is not available by default. :(:(:( MTNL provides internet connection only with max 2 MBPS speed. Only if the customer is living within 1 km radius of MTNL tower, they can apply for net connection with higher speed.

So will check out Hathway instead.....

Note, all of this is just some mitigation.

a,b) Windows Firewall is enabled by default, i think it blocks all incoming - not sure. Tinywall is simpler interface for Windows firewall so that i can setup rules - make a list of programs that are allowed to connect (manually). I prefer this, but you can look for other interface programs / other firewalls too that will prompt you instead of manual configuration - it might be easier to manage. I used to use comodo before before switching to windows firewall.

c) No need to switch, u block origin seems is in chrome.
Dont know about no script, but again its just another tool to mitigate. It might seem as hassle initially, but once setup, it works fine and my cpu usage also reduces in browsing (it allows blocking javascripts selectively).

HostMan is nice portable tool to manage HOSTS - people make lists of bad hostnames with malware etc and this we put in HOST file and redirect it to 0.0.0.0 instead of using ip from dns. Basically it will block you from connecting to say malware.com. I use only few basic sources - you can read description in tool

candle

Thanks TracerBullet,

I am a bit informed now. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Just for info : I went to MTNL to apply for 10 MBPS Internet connection. However, it is not available by default. :(:(:( MTNL provides internet connection only with max 2 MBPS speed. Only if the customer is living within 1 km radius of MTNL tower, they can apply for net connection with higher speed.

So will check out Hathway instead.....

1. Using MTNL's Fiber based FTTH internet with 10 MBPS since 6 months. Highly reliable, super fast, uninterrupted. Consider it before thinking else one.

2. Using Free Microsoft Security Essential antivirus since 7 years. No problems faced . You may consider it also.

TracerBullet

1. Using MTNL's Fiber based FTTH internet with 10 MBPS since 6 months. Highly reliable, super fast, uninterrupted. Consider it before thinking else one.
What pings do you get to europe? Example try this
Code:
ping -t uk.pool.ntp.org

DSM

Thanks Candle.

1. Guess you are lucky as you seem to live in the vicinity of the area where MTNL have their cable network. MTNL guys asked for my location, after which they confirmed that they could only provide internet with 2 MBPS.

2. Microsoft Security Essentials - noted.

2. Using Free Microsoft Security Essential antivirus since 7 years. No problems faced . You may consider it also.

candle

Thanks Candle.

1. Guess you are lucky as you seem to live in the vicinity of the area where MTNL have their cable network. MTNL guys asked for my location, after which they confirmed that they could only provide internet with 2 MBPS.

2. Microsoft Security Essentials - noted.
No, No ! Not the copper cable ! Ask for their Optical Fiber in your vicinity. ( Wish u gud luck though ).

PM me ur approx location, let me help to find out someone near u.

DSM

Thanks Candle.

BTW, Have called Hathway guys. They said it will respond within 24 hours! If this is the state of affairs of customer acquisition, I need luck on my side to get resolutions of an issue, if any. :(:(:(

BTW, am having problems trading. Missed opportunities. Even prices are not getting updated in RKSV NEST terminal. But guess the problem is from my side....

Waiting, doing nothing now. :mad::mad::mad:

No, No ! Not the copper cable ! Ask for their Optical Fiber in your vicinity. ( Wish u gud luck though ).

PM me ur approx location, let me help to find out someone near u.