Trading for Living -- Successfully Completed one year as Full Time Trader

anildnr

BN was too hot to handle today. Infact this whole series is too much volatile.

Looks like I am going to end this month in red. If it happens, then it will be the first month in red after Oct 2017. Decreased the position size drastically for the rest of the week.
Hi amrutham ..have u tried with butterfly strategy or any other strategies like short straddles?

anildnr

2nd part of October'17 was quite similar to this with volatile moves on Diwali day and demonetization. But it ended pretty good, as all the premium was left to be eaten on the last day. Too early to tell how it will end this month but the rising premium suggest likewise. Also The short strangle hasn't held up well in the last 3 weeks.
The problem is if we take short positions of ce n pe of bn as premiums are very high..we are not sure what will be the news this weekendif bcas of fear if we dont take then if no news then premiums will drastically fall on monday itself..nowadays bn is moving like anything

SarangSood

The problem is if we take short positions of ce n pe of bn as premiums are very high..we are not sure what will be the news this weekendif bcas of fear if we dont take then if no news then premiums will drastically fall on monday itself..nowadays bn is moving like anything
That's y we need to follow the premiums (volatility) very carefully. Today there was no sign of fall in premiums so we can't take a short strangle. But who knows how the week ends.

superman

Today is a day to remember !
Not just DHFL everything fell at same time. It cant be fat finger mistake I guess. I was not having any BANKNIFTY positions and I am not taking any this week. I was expecting premiums to rise by 4X but it rose only by average 2X so not worth taking. 1SD move is +- 4% and that also is not fetching lots of premium. And remember we lost -3% today so that position has to be there for a week so -4% is risky

Currently I am using only the three strategies I have already discussed in this thread(butterflys, ratio spreads and naked shorts) . Nothing new.
If I try anything new I will post here.
Hi Amrutham,

Butterflies are net debit trades, however, almost same results can be achieved using Iron Butterflies which are net credit trades. I want to understand why do you prefer net debit trade to net credit trade? Are net debit trades easier to manage / exit?

Many have thanked you and I also want to. Thanks for sharing so many details in the thread. While one can not copy trades posted or even a successful trader's style / rules; all the same your thread says that Butterflies are a viable strategy on Banknifty.

Regards

Rajeev