Solar Industries Ltd. - Rare Combination- Growth & Conservatism - CAGR 79.22%, RoE 24

maheshi

Re: Solar Industries Ltd. - Rare Combination- Growth & Conservatism - CAGR 79.22%, Ro

Planning Commission concerned at coal shortfall

27 Aug, 2011, 07.54AM IST, Devika Banerji

NEW DELHI: The Planning Commission has sounded the alarm over falling coal supplies, saying that special consideration should be made for projects in environmentally sensitive areas.

In its approach paper to the Twelfth Five-Year Plan, the commission has sought a thorough review of the current approach to the environment-versus-development debate, clearly according top priority to the country's development agenda.

At the centre of the commission's critique is the 'go and no-go area' policy for coal blocks and the Comprehensive Environmental Pollution Index, or CEPI, norms adopted by the environment and forests ministry.

"Part of the reason for the shortfall in coal production is the implementation of tighter environment-related regulations, and problems in rehabilitation and resettlement and land acquisition," the document notes.

The commission had originally targeted coal production at 680 million tonnes during the ongoing 11th plan (2007-12), but scaled it down to 630 million tonnes during the mid-term appraisal in 2010. The target was further lowered to 554 million tonnes. Coal output expanded at 7% a year during 2004-05 to 2009-10, but stagnated in the previous fiscal. In the past five years, demand grew at an average 8% and is expected to continue at the same rate during the next plan.

Coal projects have struggled to get environment clearances since 2009, when the ministry's no-go classification disallowed mining in 203 coal blocks. According to a coal ministry's projection, the output from those 203 blocks, estimated at 660 million tonnes annually, could have been used to generate around 1.3 lakh megawatts of power a year.

"The environment ministry had adopted the policy of 'go, no-go'a This would have severely impacted the ability to expand domestic production of coal," said a commission official. "The policy had to be reviewed and now some coal blocks have been cleared. This has to be continued to ensure coal availability.''

In January 2010, the environment ministry imposed a temporary ban on development works, including some coal mining projects in Jharkhand and Chattisgarh in industry clusters identified under CEPI norms. CEPI is an index of 88 industrial clusters across India, ranked according to their impact on environment and was developed to plan developmental projects in tandem with environmental protection.

The commission said the CEPI norms had prohibited mining in areas with high pollution index even if pollution was because of some other industry. "Coal being location specific, there is clearly a need for review of this (CEPI norms) approach," the paper notes. Currently the issue is under consideration of a group of ministers headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.

The commission estimates a significant rise in reliance on imported coal as it would not be possible to meet the increased demand from domestic sources. Coal imports are expected to rise to over 200 million tonnes from the current 90 million tonnes by the end of the 12th plan.

The increase in reliance on imports not only portends a significant increase of 30% to 50% in costs for power plants, it also necessitates expensive technological upgradation as the units are not designed to take more than 10-15% of imported coal at present.

maheshi

Re: Solar Industries Ltd. - Rare Combination- Growth & Conservatism - CAGR 79.22%, Ro

CCL to double output to 4 million tons per annum over three years

Aug 28, 2011 | PTI| mumbai

At a time when mining companies are facing difficulties in land acquisition and getting clearances from the environment ministry, state-owned Central Coalfields (CCL) is planning to expand its operations to meet the increasing demand.

'Mini-ratna' CCL, a subsidiary of the industry leader Coal India, plans to more than double its coal production to 4 million tons from the present 1.5 mt through underground mining over the next three years.

"We plan to increase our production to 4 mt per annum from the present 1.5 mt through underground mining by 2013," Central Coalfields Chairman and Managing Director R K Saha told PTI over the phone from Ranchi.

The company is slowly increasing its underground mining in a phased manner. "It is a challenging job, but CCL is handling very carefully," Saha said.

It can be noted that strict environmental laws have put on hold many a coal and power project, apart from the iron ore mines and steel plants.

A prominent example is the Rs 51,000 crore Posco Steel project in Orissa which even after seven years remains on paper as the company has not been able to acquire the land for the project.

There are similar other mega projects, from Tata Steel to Vedanta and ArcelorMittal in Orissa, Bihar and Jharkhand, which are pending for want of environmental clearances and lands.

While the Posco project has a conditional green nod, it is stuck with land acquisition due to stiff opposition from the local population.

The previous environment minister Jayaram Ramesh had declared dozens of coal and iron ore mines as no-go areas, which had put the projects in a limbo.

CCL recently received clearance from the Environment Ministry for its two open cast coal mines in Magadh and Amrapali. It targets to produce 20 mt per year in Magadh and 12 mt in Amrapali.

"We have floated tenders for the two new open cast mining projects and are taking steps carefully to achieve the target," he said, adding that company requires railhead closer to the two mines.

"We have requested the government to complete the Tori-Hazaribag line early. Otherwise, it will be difficult for us to transport the produce," Saha said.

When asked how does the company acquire land despite stiff opposition from locals, Saha said, "It is a major problem for every company. We always give priority for the welfare of the affected people."

maheshi

Coal sector has been the largest consumer of explosives in India and the growth expected in coal production augurs very well for the explosives industry, especially, Solar Industries India Ltd., which is the domestic leader in the field...

Also, the push towards underground mining planned by Coal India, Solar Industries' largest customer, augurs very well for high margin Cartridge Explosive business in which Solar is No.1 in India.

Rgds.

maheshi

***, an esteemed member of *** family, raised one important query regarding financials of Solar Industries and I replied to him as candidly as I can... *** and I both felt the need to share this conversation on *** forum so that other members also get to know of all the facts....Reproduced below is the entire conversation....

I am grateful to *** for bringing this up and this has necessitated formulating a kind of Self Grading/Rating System for each company I cover based on many critical aspects like management quality, transparency, operational segment, financial parameters, etc... Such Grading System will allow members to look at grades/rating achieved by each company on repective aspects so that members can look at each aspect's grade and question them.... This will do away with any sort of mistaken omission on my part in my research note as, although I prepare detailed research note on each company I cover, there may be some aspects which might have slipped out of memory and so have not found their way in the note.... As soon as I am done with my grading system, I will first rate all the 3 companies presently under my active coverage, viz., PI Ind., Jubilant Ind. and Solar Ind. and put it on ****.

----------------------------------------------

**** Wrote :

Other income for last three years have been significant (Rs 25 Cr plus ). In last two years most of it is interest income and interest on bank deposits. In FY09 a big chunk of it was Income from sales tax deferment (Should that be treated as revenue??).

This other income is significant if you compare it to PAT ( Rs 75 Cr in FY11).

Maximum cash balance in last 3 years has been Rs 94 Cr. Total investments ( Long term and short term) in FY11 was Rs 12.25 Cr.

So where is this interest income of Rs 20 Cr plus (biggest chunk of other income) in last two years coming from?

My Reply :

This same question cropped up in my mind when I was analysing Solar... I will answer it in two parts... 1st management's take on it and then my candid take on it....

Management's Version :

Co. has done entire investments in two coal blocks in subsidiaries via an agreement which provides that the investments will be as a loan and co. will earn interest on it......As at FY11, around 97.07 cr. investments are done in coal blocks..... Bulk of the interst income was from these subsidiaries.

My Candid Take & Remarks :

Frankly speaking, I was not atall satisfied with the management's version and doubt the pure logic that Co. is charging more than market rates to the investments done in coal ventures... Its a marwari promoter group and such rampant loan diversions and high interests income is common...

On business front there is least doubt that company enjoys a leadership position and strategy of future growth is excellent (I have cross-checked on this front)... However, on transparancy front, Solar can get only 2\5....and there will be a risk of hanging sword on that front in this company...

Feel free to get back to me in case of any other query..
-------------------------------------------------------------

Rgds.

maheshi

My Q2FY12 Estimate for Solar Industries (Consolidated) :

Total Revenues = INR 198-210 cr. (Q2FY11 - 150.47 cr.)

EBITDA = INR 3335.8 cr. (Q2FY11 - 23.09 cr.)