Q & A with Traderji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traderji

Super Moderator
rahulg77 said:
Dear Traderji,

I had a query on your trading system. You say u look for stocks that have made there three month high. Now when u find this stock you follow it, let it consolidate and trade on a breakout. Now once we find a stock and it declines quite a bit and then consolidates/forms a penant or flag and there is a breakout. Is it still ok to trade that stock or after forming a three month high it should stay at the same level or move up and then consolidate.

Also when u trade pattern breakout you only trade patterns that have formed a three month high/low or is the 3 month high/low strategy only for swing trade.

When u say u keep a stop at previous 3 bar high. Now suppose after rising the stock falls today. So tommorow ( i.e the next trading day)will my stop be the previous three day high or it will remain the same as yesterdays stop( i.e previous four days high) as the stock is now declining.

Rgds

rahul
I use the 3 month high to identify stocks that are in an uptrend. Once the stock is in an uptrend I transfer it to a separate folder and then watch it for consolidation patterns. The 3 month high/low can be used to identify stocks for swing or position trading.

When long I keep a stoploss at the previous 3 bar low. When I am short I keep a stoploss at the previous 3 bar high. I keep this stoploss irrespective of how the market or that stock behaves.

Dear Traderji,
do you trade commodities? If yes, Do you apply the same
trading rules to commodities? or there are some different trading rules.

regards,
spiderman

Traderji said:
I use the 3 month high to identify stocks that are in an uptrend. Once the stock is in an uptrend I transfer it to a separate folder and then watch it for consolidation patterns.

Dear Traderji,

So will it be right to assume that you do not trade a upside breakout of a stock which has not made a three month high or a downside breakout if it has not made a three month low.

I am attaching charts of sterling biotech which has broken out of patterns both in Daily and weekly charts but has not made a three month high. I have explained whatever I could and interpreted all the moves within the chart itself. Is it a nice chart and are my interpretations right.

If you dont mind I would attach charts that come to my knowledge to see if I am seeing things correctly.

Regards

Rahul

Attachments

Traderji

Super Moderator
rahulg77 said:
Dear Traderji,

So will it be right to assume that you do not trade a upside breakout of a stock which has not made a three month high or a downside breakout if it has not made a three month low.

I am attaching charts of sterling biotech which has broken out of patterns both in Daily and weekly charts but has not made a three month high. I have explained whatever I could and interpreted all the moves within the chart itself. Is it a nice chart and are my interpretations right.

If you dont mind I would attach charts that come to my knowledge to see if I am seeing things correctly.

Regards

Rahul
The three month high confirms that the stock is in an intermediate uptrend. Sterling biotech could be starting a new intermediate uptrend!

The wonderful way of simple answers to simple and complex questions Traderji, via this Q & A.

Why most of the analysts fails to predict the downtrend/fall ?

Traderji

Super Moderator
gadee333 said:
The wonderful way of simple answers to simple and complex questions Traderji, via this Q & A.

Why most of the analysts fails to predict the downtrend/fall ?
Thats probably because most analyst are not professional traders and are unable to decipher the disinformation of the markets.

I could not find disinformation in my dictionary, but it is a term coined in the intelligence community and now in broad use. In intelligence parlance it means false information designed to mislead and confuse the adversary.

I am not suggesting that the markets have any volition or that there is a conspiracy among insiders to fool the rest of us. This is something that just happens because of the nature of markets.

William Eckhardt is one of "wizards" Jack Schwager interviewed for his book, The New Market Wizards. Eckhardt was the partner of mega-millionaire Richard Dennis. It was his bet with Dennis about whether trading skill could be taught that led to the formation of the famous "turtles." Eckhardt put it this way. "The market behaves much like an opponent who is trying to teach you to trade poorly."

A common formulation of this phenomenon is the concept of random reinforcement. Traders are not rewarded with a profitable trade every time they do something right, nor are they penalized with a loss every time they do something wrong.This makes it exceptionally difficult to figure out what is right and what is wrong. Compare this to an electric fence. Every time you walk by and don't touch it, you feel fine. Every time you touch it, you receive a painful shock. It doesn't take a man or animal long to learn how to relate to an electric fence.

Think how much easier learning to trade would be if you automatically took a loss every time you failed to follow correct decision-making procedures. At the same time, what if you were always rewarded with a profit when you traded correctly? You would be able to learn the correct trading rules much more easily.

Dear Traderji,

I found two scripts with a rounding bottom. I have attached the same- Munjal Auto and Suven Life sciences. I have not studied this pattern a lot so please correct me if I have identified them wrongly. How does one trade with a pattern like this as it is difficult to determine a breakout point or see where the pattern has failed.

also, I have attached the charts of Exide Inds. I have attached this chart as The ROC swings from extreme over sold to extreme over bought territory. I have read martin prings book on oscillatiors and this movement as per him is supose to be +ve for a stock. But again this works when the stock has been in a primary uptrend or down trend. If it is in downtrend first there should be a swing in extreme over sold and then extreme overbought and this indicates start of a primary trend. Basically the first extreme swing should be in the direction of the trend. This script is not in a primary down trend infact was has a very nice slow rising uptrend but yes the extreme swings did take place and since TA is never exact as one studies so I was wondering if this could mean something for this stock.

Rgds

Rahul

Attachments

Traderji

Super Moderator
rahulg77 said:
Dear Traderji,

I found two scripts with a rounding bottom. I have attached the same- Munjal Auto and Suven Life sciences. I have not studied this pattern a lot so please correct me if I have identified them wrongly. How does one trade with a pattern like this as it is difficult to determine a breakout point or see where the pattern has failed.

also, I have attached the charts of Exide Inds. I have attached this chart as The ROC swings from extreme over sold to extreme over bought territory. I have read martin prings book on oscillatiors and this movement as per him is supose to be +ve for a stock. But again this works when the stock has been in a primary uptrend or down trend. If it is in downtrend first there should be a swing in extreme over sold and then extreme overbought and this indicates start of a primary trend. Basically the first extreme swing should be in the direction of the trend. This script is not in a primary down trend infact was has a very nice slow rising uptrend but yes the extreme swings did take place and since TA is never exact as one studies so I was wondering if this could mean something for this stock.

Rgds

Rahul
The rounding bottom is a long-term reversal pattern that is best suited for weekly charts. It is also referred to as a saucer bottom, and represents a long consolidation period that turns from a bearish bias to a bullish bias.

For a proper understanding of rounding bottom please read http://www.stockcharts.com/education/ChartAnalysis/roundingBottom.html

Both Munjal Auto and Suven Life Sciences have not formed a rounding bottom pattern.

Exide Inds. is in a sideways consolidation pattern and not in any trend. I would not trade this stock personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.