Power of Long Term Investment !!!

I am a strong believer in power of long term investment. To highlight my point let us take an example:

Infosys was issued at Rs.95 and if a person bought 100 shares i.e. invested 9500 Rs. then its value as on today stands at Rs. 1.98 crore after all splits and bonuses.

Isn't it magical. I doubt in a span of 15 years any trader has earned so much with just 9500 Rs. Correct me if I am wrong!

Think long term guys !!!

cheers,
nkpanjiyar

pkjha30

nkpanjiyar said:
I am a strong believer in power of long term investment. To highlight my point let us take an example:

Infosys was issued at Rs.95 and if a person bought 100 shares i.e. invested 9500 Rs. then its value as on today stands at Rs. 1.98 crore after all splits and bonuses.

Isn't it magical. I doubt in a span of 15 years any trader has earned so much with just 9500 Rs. Correct me if I am wrong!

Think long term guys !!!

cheers,
nkpanjiyar
Hi nkp

You have quoted a very famous example which is also my favourite one in support of investment. Looooooooong term investors dont have to worry if they chose well and keep track. GTB was such example which was supposed to be a strong company bit got liquidated. If somebody does not keep track of their holding well money disppreas.

But remember the thread Portfolio for year 2006. Not much contribution on that. People don't have patience of waiting to see the gains materialise. They want both shorts and longs whitout waiting for it.

There are many such stories like infosys. I know of a person ( retired as district judge who suffered much for his integrity in his career) who had purchased Some shares and remembered only at the time of his retirement(easy sale was not possible in those days in small district towns.). He sold his few shares and married off his daughter and still saved for his post retirement life.

Regards

Pankaj :) :)

nkpanjiyar said:

Think long term guys !!!

cheers,
nkpanjiyar
Certainly, Long-term investing is more beneficial as the power of compounding works in favour. However, the example given may not be properly fitting as it's very hard to identify growth companies in their nascent stage. Besides, even if one is able to identify them, it's also highly probable that the companies may not be able to maintain pace after sometime and may collapse or the business model may become obsolete.

Best Regards,
--Ashish

pkjha30 said:
Hi nkp

You have quoted a very famous example which is also my favourite one in support of investment. Looooooooong term investors dont have to worry if they chose well and keep track. GTB was such example which was supposed to be a strong company bit got liquidated. If somebody does not keep track of their holding well money disppreas.

But remember the thread Portfolio for year 2006. Not much contribution on that. People don't have patience of waiting to see the gains materialise. They want both shorts and longs whitout waiting for it.

There are many such stories like infosys. I know of a person ( retired as district judge who suffered much for his integrity in his career) who had purchased Some shares and remembered only at the time of his retirement(easy sale was not possible in those days in small district towns.). He sold his few shares and married off his daughter and still saved for his post retirement life.

Regards

Pankaj :) :)
Well said. I will look into the thread Portfolio for 2006" in next year Jan 2007 to see where we stand. This will be a kind of litmus test too.:D

cheers,
nkpanjiyar

Would you like to suggest any good script like infosys, so we can buy that simply and ready to wait for another 15 years to get 1 crores atleast :) .........any suggestions?

SGM

softtouch said:
Would you like to suggest any good script like infosys, so we can buy that simply and ready to wait for another 15 years to get 1 crores atleast :) .........any suggestions?
Hello,

Very Good idea. But instead of just 1, lets look out for 10.

Would someone like to suggest 10 scripts out of which even 1 will turns out to be a future infy.......

Any Takers?????

Regards
Sanjay

PS: I have started a new thread for this, plz chk out
http://www.traderji.com/equities/6774-looking-out-future-infys.html#post45767

Last edited:

SGM

nkpanjiyar said:
Well said. I will look into the thread Portfolio for 2006" in next year Jan 2007 to see where we stand. This will be a kind of litmus test too.:D

cheers,
nkpanjiyar
Hello Pankaj,

Went thru the thread you have mentioned. It seems to have been discontinued long back.

I am putting my comments in that thread, hope you revive the discussions.
Regards
Sanjay

Hello Friends!
Great discussion is going on.Well we must remember that for every Infosys,we need to loose money in some pentasoft,silverlinetechnologies etc.For every Hero Honda,one has to loose money in kinetic.This is the rule cause at nascent stage of a company you can not really tell how far it could go.We just have to monitor it.We have to visualise the things.Above all LOADS of patience is needed.Still it's worth trying.LONG TERM INVESTING is the REAL wealth Creator!
Great discussion guys!
Traderji forum is getting matured fast with valuable inputs from it's enlightened members! I'm feeling very happy about it.
God Bless You.
Disciple.

Disciple said:
LONG TERM INVESTING is the REAL wealth Creator!
Disciple.
Noone will like to disagree but Returns always correspond with risk and in the long run risks are certainly on a higher side. One can get returns like those earned on Infy in trading as well if he assumes the same kind of risk.

Best Regards,
--Ashish