Power of Long Term Investment !!!

pkjha30

Hi SGM

An idea to start with. Can you add few more scripts?
What do you think of factors for identifying long term growth? Can you initiate.

The objective of Long term portfolio could be three.

S=Try to go to Saturn(Humans yet to there)
G=Go to Gondor (an imaginary place in the Lords of The Rings)
M=Go to Moon ( a achievable possibility already materialised)

It would be better to try to go to moon like dennis tito and others rather than dreaming about it......... Objective of LTI is to seek to achieve what best is possible in this world. And Dreams are based upon reality and often a harbinger of things to come.

Gr8 going my friend. Please begin.

Pankaj:)

SGM

pkjha30 said:
It would be better to try to go to moon like dennis tito and others ..
Hello Pankaj

By others, I am sure you mean Tintin (rather than Neil and gang..)
An idea to start with. Can you add few more scripts?
Well not now but will give it a try eventually, I am into this discussion as a student, rather than a teacher.
What do you think of factors for identifying long term growth? Can you initiate.
I would copy paste an quote from another thread, a post by someone else :)
1. The Sectors in which it is working
2. How good is financial parameters.
3. Growth prospects
4. Current earning growth, cash flow, equity debt ratio etc.
5. If Pays dividend
6. Price history
7. EPS, PE and book value.
8. Risk factors
9. Policy directions of the Govt.
10. FII/FDI involvement
11. Labour relations
12. Brand image
13. Products performace
The idea of making a excell based tool, occured to me as i am reading the book Security Analysis by Benjamin Graham, David Dodd, it will take me a week for the first read. Most of the terms are new to me, so I see the tool a couple of months away.

Meanwhile trying to identify a few scripts is a good idea and will give it a try.

I would choose Technology (IT/BT/CT...) as the sector, as I think it has enough juice to go on strong for another 10-15 yrs.

Meanwhile, if you can elaborate on why Bharti, that will help.

Regards
Sanjay

My all time favourite Timken India did not budge for all the 1700 points fall in the last 7 trading days.

Watch its daily close:

Date: Closing Price
1)11-05-06 168
2)12-05-06 167(The first day of fall-Friday)
3)15-05-06 160
4)16-05-06 159
5)17-05-06 162
6)18-05-06 160(The first bif fall 800 points)
7)19-05-06 160
8)22-05-06 159(surprise!surprise! Sensex wentdown by 1111 points)
9)23-05-06 160
10)24-05-06 160
11)25-05-06 160

Volumes were sensible and on the day of 1111 points down this scrip traded 3.6 lacs volume. Why don't you have this in your portfolio?

cheers,
nkpanjiyar

Hello guys.

I am new to this forum.

Just wanted to share something. There is an event taking place in Mumbai called the Equity Show on June 10th and 11th. Seems quite interesting. Speakers include ICICI Bank CEO, K V Kamath, SEBI Chairman M. Damodaran and many other prominent personalities from the industry. There are sessions on stock markets (quite hot right now), commodities, mutual funds, insurance, economic trends etc.

The registration is free so I guess it s a good pick.. There will be lot of knowledge sharing taking place. Is there anyone who has attended the show earlier?? Please give your inputs..

Have a look

http://equityshow.myiris.com/2006/speakers.html

Friends, always keep this in mind:

"WHEN YOU LOSE DO NOT LOSE THE LESSON"

Hence loss made in stock market is the BEST INVESTMENT you can ever make as it can teach you something which no-one will be able to teach you. Then its up to you to learn that lesson and persist on investing in the stock market.

So start small so that you make small losses which you would absorb without getting desperate.

cheers,
nkpanjiyar

nkpanjiyar said:
My all time favourite Timken India did not budge for all the 1700 points fall in the last 7 trading days.

Watch its daily close:

Date: Closing Price
1)11-05-06 168
2)12-05-06 167(The first day of fall-Friday)
3)15-05-06 160
4)16-05-06 159
5)17-05-06 162
6)18-05-06 160(The first bif fall 800 points)
7)19-05-06 160
8)22-05-06 159(surprise!surprise! Sensex wentdown by 1111 points)
9)23-05-06 160
10)24-05-06 160
11)25-05-06 160

Volumes were sensible and on the day of 1111 points down this scrip traded 3.6 lacs volume. Why don't you have this in your portfolio?

cheers,
nkpanjiyar

what is the company about? is it listed in NSE or BSE?

Satya

nkpanjiyar said:

Watch its daily close:
xxxxxxxx

cheers,
nkpanjiyar
Are you speaking about former Tata Timken? The ball bearing manufacturer? BSE ticker code 522113? If it is that company, it closed at Rs. 127/- on friday 09/06/2006 at BSE with 70502 shares being traded on that day.

Yah bharti is an excellent pick. It was issued at 45 Rs a share and is now at 360+. Vodafone picked up stake in it also and their subscriber base is expected to grow 2-3 times in the next 2 years. The stock would easily touch 1000. So its another one of those infy picks.

Also look at Hinduja TMT. Another one of those telecom stocks+IT stock. The money they are getting to liquidate their holding in Hutch itself covers for the stock price. Its an excellent pick for the next few years.

On the other point about buy and forget, HLL was another brilliant script that has taken care of the needs of so many families. But unless you keep a watch on the company you would suffer. Their scrip went down to 100 because of bad management and only now is back in reckoning.

pkjha30 said:
Hi

Get Bharati ( Air Tel) and forget.

Pankaj

Hello Mr.nkpanjiyar,
True indeed that long term investment is the best solution to overlook this day to day volatility in the stock markets.
But one has to monitor very carefully his/her company's(investment) performance , only then he/she can benefit the investment made.
Gaurav Sapra
[email protected]