Point and figure chart

man4urheart

I have attached the AFL using which the chart is plotted!

Guys If you like it, let me know by clicking thanks!

I hope I have made a difference. This is output of 2 weeks of hardwork.

RSI

Manjeet,

Now the afl is correct. There are no errors. I have attached a screenshot of the chart drawn using the afl posted by you.

Why boxes are not displyed in my chart? I could see them in your chart. But what about scale? i.e. price scale or box size. See my first post in this thread. I was pointing out this defect in FCharts. The same mistake is repeated here as well. Unless you get the proper box, the charts will have only visual appeal and no utility.

Another point. How did you get another price scale on the inner right side? I could see that scale in my chart. Most probably because I did not get those boxes as well.

Anyway, thanks for the huge effort put by you. If you can further modify the afl, I feel there is scope for it.

man4urheart

Manjeet,

Now the afl is correct. There are no errors. I have attached a screenshot of the chart drawn using the afl posted by you.

Why boxes are not displyed in my chart? I could see them in your chart. But what about scale? i.e. price scale or box size. See my first post in this thread. I was pointing out this defect in FCharts. The same mistake is repeated here as well. Unless you get the proper box, the charts will have only visual appeal and no utility.

Another point. How did you get another price scale on the inner right side? I could see that scale in my chart. Most probably because I did not get those boxes as well.

Anyway, thanks for the huge effort put by you. If you can further modify the afl, I feel there is scope for it.

Well My friend, firstly my name is "Mandeep"

If you right click on chart and go to parameters , you will see option to set "BOX" Size what ever you want.

Simply choose the Box size you wish to use...and you are too much "zoomed out", try to zoom in for clear charts!

Set the Grid to " NO" and click on chart you will see the grid!.

Note" Grid is designed to showup on clicking on the chart at a point from where you wish to see the grid. If you double click again, it goes away!

This feature was picked up as a pre built code, so was not touched!

Play with those parameters!.....

You can refer appropriate boxsize as per this guidelines

http://stockcharts.com/help/doku.php?id=support:understanding_pnf_charts

Price Range Box Size
Under $0.25 .0625
.26 to 1.00 .125
1.01 to 5.00 .25
5.01 to 20.00 .50
20.01 to 100.00 1.00
100.01 to 200.00 2.00
200.01 to 500.00 4.00
500.01 to 1,000.00 5.00
1,000.01 to 25,000.00 50.00
25,000.01 and up 500.00

Last edited:

sikandar

If you right click on chart and go to parameters , you will see option to set "BOX" Size what ever you want.

Simply choose the Box size you wish to use...and you are too much "zoomed out", try to zoom in for clear charts!

Note" Grid is designed to showup on clicking on the chart at a point from where you wish to see the grid. If you double click again, it goes away!

Price Range Box Size
Under $0.25 .0625
.26 to 1.00 .125
1.01 to 5.00 .25
5.01 to 20.00 .50
20.01 to 100.00 1.00
100.01 to 200.00 2.00
200.01 to 500.00 4.00
500.01 to 1,000.00 5.00
25,000.01 and up 500.00
Hi m4u for nf what is ur box size and reversals.
I use box size for nf 15 in 60 min chart and revrsals 3.

man4urheart

Hi m4u for nf what is ur box size and reversals.
I use box size for nf 15 in 60 min chart and revrsals 3.
15 must be generating too much signals! But you must have done some back testing yourself to use it for your trading!

I don't do intraday so I have no idea.

But would use some round number like 10 or 20 after backtesting!

Which software are you using for Point and figure charts?

RSI

Price Range Box Size
Under $0.25 .0625
.26 to 1.00 .125
1.01 to 5.00 .25
5.01 to 20.00 .50
20.01 to 100.00 1.00
100.01 to 200.00 2.00
200.01 to 500.00 4.00
500.01 to 1,000.00 5.00
25,000.01 and up 500.00
Mandeep,

First of all I am very sorry for misspelling and mispronouncing your name. My sincere apologies.

Thanks for clarifying on the grid aspects. You are correct. Now the grid is displayed when I followed the procedure suggested by you.

I think you have not understood the point which I was referring to in respect of box sizes. See the table given by you. For example, take zicom chart. As long as the stock oscillate between Rs.20/- and Rs.100/-, box size must be 1 as per your table, which is quite correct. But the moment the same stock starts quoting above Rs.100/-, say for example Rs.110/-, the box size must be 2 as per your table. This is also correct. But, look at the chart. What is the box size? When the stock quoted below Rs.100/-, box size was 2, when the stock quoted above also box size was 2. That is a wrong method of charting. Got the point? That is what I was pointing. Go to the basics of PnF charting. You will surely get the point I am referring.

man4urheart

Mandeep,

First of all I am very sorry for misspelling and mispronouncing your name. My sincere apologies.

Thanks for clarifying on the grid aspects. You are correct. Now the grid is displayed when I followed the procedure suggested by you.

I think you have not understood the point which I was referring to in respect of box sizes. See the table given by you. For example, take zicom chart. As long as the stock oscillate between Rs.20/- and Rs.100/-, box size must be 1 as per your table, which is quite correct. But the moment the same stock starts quoting above Rs.100/-, say for example Rs.110/-, the box size must be 2 as per your table. This is also correct. But, look at the chart. What is the box size? When the stock quoted below Rs.100/-, box size was 2, when the stock quoted above also box size was 2. That is a wrong method of charting. Got the point? That is what I was pointing. Go to the basics of PnF charting. You will surely get the point I am referring.

I got the point. This can be done in AFL. But will need some hardwork again.

But personally I dont want that kind of dynamic boxing. I have some reservations on your thought! I disgaree that it is incorrect!

The link and traditional boxing shown is a general guidline.

Forget all these complexities. DO you remember plotting graphs on Pink and Green Graph paper when we were kids? I remember that! There you cannot have that kind of dynamic scale.......

Have you read the book Definitive guide of Point and figure charting?

I use single scale. Finally the box is just the graph paper not the actual signal.

RSI

I got the point. This can be done in AFL. But will need some hardwork again.

But personally I dont want that kind of dynamic boxing. I have some reservations on your thought! I disgaree that it is incorrect!

The link and traditional boxing shown is a general guidline.

Forget all these complexities. DO you remember plotting graphs on Pink and Green Graph paper when we were kids? I remember that! There you cannot have that kind of dynamic scale.......

Have you read the book Definitive guide of Point and figure charting?

I use single scale. Finally the box is just the graph paper not the actual signal.
Well. Which one is the correct method is a debatable point depending upon one's style of trading. As some one pointed out, even the box sized mentioned in your earlier post may not be suitable for day trading. We need not bother about it right now.

I have not read the book definitive guide to point and figure charting. I am interested. Do you have a copy? Or can you post the link to that book from where I can download? I shall be greatful to you for that.
Thanks and regards
R. S. Iyer

man4urheart

The book is not avaliable in PDF. It is hardcopy! You can but it from amazon!

I tried doing the coding for the step Scaling!

But I am unable to do it. It is too complex for me....

Amibroker India should take this up. Those guys are just intersted in selling the product I guess!

RSI

The book is not avaliable in PDF. It is hardcopy! You can but it from amazon!

I tried doing the coding for the step Scaling!

But I am unable to do it. It is too complex for me....

Amibroker India should take this up. Those guys are just intersted in selling the product I guess!
Mandeep,

First of all, thanks for the huge effort put by you or coding it to Amibroker.

As far as the book is conncerned, it is alright. I shall buy it from amazon.