Mother of All trading threads!- Stocks, Indices, Commodities and Currencies!

SwingKing

Breaking news Central Bank Raises IR

July 2 (Bloomberg) -- Indias central bank raised interest
rates for the third time this year in an unscheduled
announcement as inflation pressures from faster growth outweigh
risks from Europes sovereign-debt crisis.
The Reserve Bank of India increased the reverse repurchase
rate to 4 percent from 3.75 percent and the repurchase rate to
5.5 percent from 5.25 percent, according to a statement from th
central bank in Mumbai.
This is a classical example of why News is not profitable. Now how would someone know what's coming. This is a surprise announcement. Now, any move on Monday will be justified by this News. That's the only value news upholds. It's used as a justification tool for price movements by esteemed analysts. Reason I have written this is because I have seen so many posts in this forum mentioning how we can profit/how the markets moved because of "A, B, C news".

Tc

AW10

I think this news in already discounted. It is no surprise. INR has already gone up in last 1 month.. and if anything that can happen now is that INR will get sold. If people were expecting 50 points but got only 25 points hike, then INR is bound to be sold, i.e. FII pulling out.

I think, RBI has sensed the cooling down of economy and hence change is only by 25 points (minimum possible). It is not aggressive as 50 points.

scplindia

Vijay bank did not crack, it has gone exdivident from yesterday, that all. This was already reflected in the cost of july futures. Yesterday, just spot fell to adjust for the divident.

Cheers,
Prem Kumar

scplindia

Nimish,

Euro is doing pretty well, & showing strength, Europe may go up today on the back of euro, what do you think,

Cheers,
Prem Kumar

nimish_rulz

Nimish,

Euro is doing pretty well, & showing strength, Europe may go up today on the back of euro, what do you think,

Cheers,
Prem Kumar
Sirji US is closed today don't expect any major movements anywhere around the world. Usually when US is closed trading is light in Europe with a positive bias and next day when US opens they shed their gains. This is my recent observation might be wrong. The reason for considerable strength in the euro is Austerity and a bit strong data from Euro zone thanks to a cheaper euro. But when austerity kicks in fully the economic data will start turning sour and that is when Euro will start faltering again.

I still don't think it is time to go long Euro. Apart from Germany every country is weak.

scplindia

agreed most countries are weak. But sometime, there has to be a dead cat bounce. it can happen any time, this is good enough for Indian traders, they will drag the nifty by 150 points to the upside, as they are not allowing nifty to fall.

Last edited:

nimish_rulz

If dow breaks 9850 exit all your shorts. Good opportunity to go short again now. Stop 9800. Short FTSE @ 4950. Stop 4975. Looking for 100 points in total.

PMI number coming out at 10 am it will either fly or fall off the cliff. Also gap should be closed on dow especially after the long weekend. Might take days but will go long if 9850 breaks.

There is no reason for a rally today but a successful bond auction in spain and some positive comments by Aussie Central Bank. Volumes still remain thin.

Gold going down suggests depression than inflation in coming months. Look out for 1170 on Gold massive support. If Gold keeps falling dollar will go up soon as with depression dollar becomes the king.

Look at the world shipping demand which takes into account daily demand of exporting oil, copper, iron etc. The demand for goods we need day to day. It has come down to a year low which means sooner or later companies are going to suffer as the demand seems to be drying up. Blatic Dry Index historically also emulates the stock markets and the global economic health.
Here is the chart:

http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/cbuilder?ticker1=BDIY:IND

BAD PMI in US as expected:

53.8 instead of 55.1 expected and 55.4 last month
below 50 is recession

Nifty go long only above 5330 or previous pivot high. Just my view.

Exited all shorts for now. Dow and FTSE booked a loss will look to enter again if it retraces below 9800 and also on FTSE around 4900.

The Baltic Dry index, a proxy for global bulk commodity demand, fell for the 28th consecutive session today, it’s worst losing streak in more than six years, according to Bloomberg. (Source : FT)

Last edited:

nimish_rulz

Nifty is at the top of the bottom slopping trendline lets see if it breaks it. The horizontal lines are historical resistances from past year and current year where a breach of a level is failed by more than 5 times.
Here is the chart:

nimish_rulz

Nifty is at the top of the bottom slopping trendline lets see if it breaks it. The horizontal lines are historical resistances from past year and current year where a breach of a level is failed by more than 5 times.
Here is the chart:

As expected Nifty never breached the top of the trendline and continued to slip down since open.

How easy it is to create a bubble:

Imagine a stock priced at Rs 100 and having a market cap of Rs 10,000. One day a fund decides to buy 5% of the company at Rs 120 per stock and thus pays Rs 600 towards the purchase. On seeing this transaction, other shareholders would be reluctant to sell their shares below Rs 120. This in effect would now make the new price of the stock as Rs 120 and push up the market cap of the company to Rs 12,000. We hope you have noticed the magic of the modern monetary system. A monetary transaction of Rs 600 has pushed up the wealth of investors by Rs 2,000. Thus, the overall wealth has gone up by 2,000 while the money involved is just Rs 600.

It should be noted that a similar magic was behind the creation of the biggest bubble in history. The US real estate bubble or what is now popularly known as the subprime bubble. All that the US authorities had to do was encourage a few more housing transactions so that prices could be pushed up. Thus, interest rates were lowered and more people were brought into the housing market. It should be noted that if prices for even 5% of the homes went up, the remaining 95% would also witness a similar rise in value and thus, overall wealth was increased.
Source: equitmaster

If dow breaches yesterdays high expect a few days of rally and a close above 10,000 would not be a surprise. The downside target is at 9585 this was the dow future level in Asia on Tuesday early morning before good news from Aussie land came out.

Today's dow levels buy above 9760 for a target of 9850 first and then a close above 9850 will bring 10,000. Sell below 9685 for first target of 9600 and then 9300.

The death cross happened on S&P yesterday Dow is a day away. Lets see if that helps make a significant move. For me Now a move above 50 DMA is a time to go long - long term and not trading wise on the dow. If too many people know about death cross it means nothing hence I wont consider it anything but a technical event.

However, Gold is looking bearish now far too many people coming out and being positive about it, Volumes have picked up in the futures contract and I think 1265 is a major top for a while and may stay here. This is similar to december when Gold made a top at 1200 and then fell to 1050 levels. Similar levels of fall maybe expected here.

Last edited:

nimish_rulz

Trading ideas for next few days. This is based on recent pattern and must be followed at own risk with tight stops. Here is the idea:

For the past 4 earnings seasons the stock whose result is to be announced in a weeks time is seriously bought into only to be dumped after the earnings. This just doesn't happen in India but everywhere around the world. And hence post results we have a correction on the index as well. If this time the scenario looks similar a profitable setup can be established based on investor behaviour.

Observe what happens after the first few results are announced is it being bought into or sold post the results. If it is being sold most likely it will be the same for all the stocks barring the ones that surprise too much on the upside. So last time the results for june ending quarter came in July and end of july we had a correction. Then in october around 21st we had another correction post sept quarter result announcement. Similarly on 22nd Jan we had a correction. Then 24th April. Well you know where I am going with this. But post result if the price is moving up u shud buy it only to dump the stock a day before the result.

This is a very risky strategy and must be executed with caution and proper risk management tools. Any opinions on this or views would be welcomed.