Mother of All trading threads!- Stocks, Indices, Commodities and Currencies!

nimish_rulz

Also the commodity currency Aussie dollar has been hammered massively. It is also signalling bear market ahead.

US treasury however is signalling the current leg as just a normal correction witnessed in Jan/Feb, Oct etc because it is still maintaining its up trend line on the yield and is yet to hit the bottom channel.

Dollar Index:
It is about to hit the Lehman Brother collapse high which is very strange as nothing of that sort has happened yet anywhere. I expect Dollar Index to retrace a bit but before that it should hit the resistance present at 89.3. If dollar Index falls from here, as it should as it is highly overbought and significantly above the trendline from nov which is when it started to move up, equities might get a relief rally. Also another reason why Dollar should fall now is that the smart money is moving from dollar to Gold. They are expecting inflation ahead not deflation. If this is found to be true dollar will fall and gold and silver will rise further. Dollar is no more safer than a Euro or any other currency because the estimated debt in US is about to reach $12 trillion for a population of 330 million that amounts to $35,000 of government debt per person in America add to this the 20% people who are in foreclosure which means 1/5 people in America is bankrupt and can't afford to pay their home loan. The average house price is around $150,000 with a per capita income of approximately $40,000 that is 400% of debt in the economy per person. Well I don't think that is called as sound economy neither I would consider their currency safe.
The reason why USD is rallying in my opinion is that there is lot of unwinding taking place from big banks before the Interest rates go up. Last week Canada became the first G-7 nation to increase the IR. The banks with already stressed balance sheets want to unwind the dollar carry trade as soon as possible. A carry trade is basically a trade in which you borrow money from a country where IR is virtually zero and invest in country where you can get maximum return for your investment countries such as Japan, US etc are the countries where IR is close to zero and India, China, Australia etc are the countries where you get good bang for your buck hence the unwinding of the trade in these countries is pushing the good economic growth countries currencies under pressure India and Australia included. For years Japan was the only country with a carry trade hence famously it is also called as Yen Carry trade however, recently other countries have also brought IR Zero. If further explanation is needed on Carry trade please let me knw will explain in detail.
Here is the dollar index chart:

How does all this impact India?
Well honestly Nifty and German Dax have shown a lot of strength in this fall. Part of the reason for this is German index gets a boost by having a weaker euro which means most of the firms in Dax 30 who earn in foreign currencies gets a boost in income and also Germany use to be the biggest exporter in the world up until Jan when China overtook it however, a weaker Euro has allowed germany to boost its export once more putting pressure on China due to China's Dollar peg Euro has fallen 30% against Chinese Yuan(RNB). This has made German exporters more competitive.

Nifty on the other hand has shown strength because India's fiscal deficit has been substantially reduced. Monsoon is expected to be normal. GDP growth has surpassed estimates and inflation is starting to ease. Also while moving up We had underperformed global markets in 2010. However, if things don't improve globally we will be hit hard and next down move can be very aggressive. Nifty bounced off perfectly from the downward slopping trendline's upper channel as I showed a few days back and the 2 down bars have confirmed the down move. However, 4930 seems a good support and we have bounced of it many times recently so shorters can cover their shorts around this level and again go short with the breach of 4900 for the first level at 4750 levels(+-25 points). 23.8% FIB retracement from march 2009 lows.
I still maintain my bullish stance for the year end and expect nifty to touch 5500-5700 by December 2010. (65% probability). Short term in 1 months time I expect more downside unless 5150 is broken convincingly. Downside can be 4900,4700,4500 all depends how bad this crisis gets. However, If nothing happens in 1 months time we will see the risk appetite returning. I am completely out of the market from past 2 weeks. No short position and no Long positions. However, If we break 4900 I will short banking index and a few banks as they have shown significant strength and usually if market goes down financials have to lead it down and this is yet to be witnessed in the Indian market. The reason I am out is that liquidity is completely dry in the market. Most of the funds are sitting on cash. When liquidity is low markets are volatile and up moves on low volumes followed by sudden down moves. Always when the liquidity and participation by smart money is limited markets tend to rise on low volumes followed by massive down bars hence the market remains range bound for long periods. But participation of smart money can take the market in any direction they want. I would still prefer to stay out of the market sit on cash and keep analysing the market and look for good picks for very long term if market falls a lot more from here.
Nifty Chart

Last edited:

praveen taneja

Nice thread bro keep it up but want to know if you dont mind can I change my thread name to Papa of all threads:p:p
I appreciate your hard work but accept too that most of things are not for illiterate person like me:confused: God bless u keep it up at least I can have tgt for my trades:thumb:

scplindia

Nimish,

Nice post, keep up the good work.

Have you noticed today, FTSE, CAC, DAX all broke the H&S Neckline quite decisively, when India was trading. Now have pulled back and are trading just above the neckline. What does this indicate. More weakness if close below, or rebound if close above the neckline ?

Cheers,
Prem Kumar

nimish_rulz

Nimish,

Nice post, keep up the good work.

Have you noticed today, FTSE, CAC, DAX all broke the H&S Neckline quite decisively, when India was trading. Now have pulled back and are trading just above the neckline. What does this indicate. More weakness if close below, or rebound if close above the neckline ?

Cheers,
Prem Kumar
I am not too sure about it. Today dow is at a very crucial juncture. It falls below 50 today and we might see carnage. A massive one! If it goes up we might close above 10,000. Not sure what is going to happen but a very interesting day of trading awaits.

nimish_rulz

Rumour, BP found a possible second leak. Stock down 5% and tanking. FTSE will keep going lower if BP drags!

Corrected:
NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Transocean Ltd. (RIG 44.84, -4.33, -8.81%) fell 10% to $44.42 after Goldman Sachs downgraded oil drilling firms to neutral from buy and issued bearish comments on the effects of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. "We believe that the Macondo oil spill is likely to have a long lasting impact on the industry and most negatively impact the deep water drillers," Goldman Sachs said in a note to clients. "We think that the current six month moratorium on deep water drilling in the U.S. could be extended and now assume that it lasts 12 months with limited activity until 2012; deep water dayrates are likely to face pressure."

Last edited:

nimish_rulz

The reason for Dow rally today besides Bernanke's comments:
"The banks may have found some reassurance following announcements from Europe’s finance ministers, who said the details of the euro rescue fund are near completion. The European Financial Stability Facility will be backed by €440 billion in national guaranteed bonds that will be sold as required in order to raise funds to assist embattled eurozone countries."
source: IG Research

nimish_rulz

It is not wrong but most of the world markets are at massive support levels. FTSE below 5,000 has bounced out everytime this year. Dow 9800, Nifty 4930, etc. So fresh shorts might be risky. However if you hold short 5020 should be used as stop and keep on holding them.

I am expecting dow to close above 10,000 in todays trade and tomorrows trade. It should open high and keep going up. If it doesnt first target is 9630 on the dow this is what was seen yesterday when the futures market opened when dow closed. However the entire dip was bought into suggests something fishy. Also Asia showing strength today combined signals up move on dow. This happened a few days back and dow rallied from 9900 levels to 10,300. Lets see what happens now.

First hour of dow will tell the direction.
The high of the day was only 50 points short of my expected level not bad wish had bought the option for the Dow. I was expecting to hit 10,000 by tomorrow's session thinking it was Wednesday today however, realised that it is only Tuesday. We might see 2 more days of rally Wednesday and Thursday. Friday will give a signal as to where we are going. Earning season is only 4 weeks from now the stock price movement would be very interesting. Well a few interesting days ahead of us. If selling pressure doesn't intensify soon markets will move up.

For some reason FTSE and Dow are not letting go of the 5,000 and 10,000 level respectively. Tomorrow retail sales number are out in US. Please hedge your longs and short at the close of market tomorrow on Nifty. If numbers are good we might see a rally. If numbers are bad we might break the 9757 low made today. Interestingly this is not the lowest low we have made on the dow this year. Lowest low was 9756 made on 25th May. Todays low was 1 point higher than that low and market rallied to 10,300 from that low. Today's closing was solid. The entire day it just couldn't sit below 9800 level. When that happened short sellers covered their shorts and hence I guess the rally in the close.

Last edited:

nimish_rulz

Be very careful with Bharti Airtel Stock has been downgraded from BBB- to BB+ 1 step downgrade due to excessive leverage on the company. The downgrade has been by S&P. It looks like a doggy up move of 4.5%

China Rocketing might take the other markets up with it. 2% up already.