Is it good to leave a job for full time trading in India on the US market? What is th

onlinegtrash

Re: Is it good to leave a job for full time trading in India on the US market? What i

So what you are saying is the time and money you put from the Age of 3 to 23 is a waste. You spent nearly 18 years to become an Engineer and you think you are not good at being a Software engineer. How can you now think that you will be a Good trader?
I don't think that's waste at all..
Instead of seeing trading, engineering, medicine, quants as different subject I see them all as different version of same subject (but slightly different ones) of decision making.

For instance

Statistics + computing + trading = quants
statistics + computing = big data/analytic
statistics + medicine = quantified medicine
stats + computing + medicine = drug discovery/ cancer research/ DNA studies etc.

statistical mechanics (physics)+ risk management = risk modelling in trading.
cloud computing + accounting + shipping = amazon
computing + computer networks + social networks = facebook and online marketing.

solid risk management principles (from trading) + architecture = safe nuclear reactors

computing + philosophy = futurists (Ray kurzweil for eg) + think tanks

as matter of fact the more the person becomes interdisciplinary more awesome things get!

So certainly you should try it if you have enough fire left in your heart!

As usual trading profitably takes atleast 2-3 years, the trick is NOT technical challenges
but developing the skills to 'unconscious competency' stage and mastering the psychology. If your personal life situation allows it (eg. can you forgo monthly income for 2 years?), does your temperament fits the trading (its a boring and loner sports and 90% lose) ? If you think you can do it... then go ahead.

laotze

Re: Is it good to leave a job for full time trading in India on the US market? What i

Hi,

I have been trading in US from past 2 years but could not dedicate time as I have another full time job. I'm planning on quitting the job and becoming a full time day trader now now that I have some capital that I can invest and would be able to give 100% of my time to learn trading. My job is in software line where I make decent salary, even after moving back to India I'm sure I can make a good salary. But I'm quite tired of office politics and ass kissing that needs to be done in corporate world to get up the ladder and would like do my own business to make same decent salary. This is quite a risky and daring step for me as I would be losing my job skill set if i'm focusing on something else. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, have anyone heard of Dollar bird trading platform in India through which we can trade US stock market? How good is this platform?

I really appreciate your time on any suggestions. Thank you.
This is going to disaster.

Quitting a job at this age is going to be big crime.

Your activity level will go down.

Your confidence level will go down.

Now...somebody is investing on you (offered job to you) and they are giving salary taking risk on you..

If you quit the job, you have to take direct risk with your capital and your ability.

Trading is good Business...no doubt..but, not at this age..be in the service and make your self financially healthy...

onlinegtrash

Now...somebody is investing on you (offered job to you) and they are giving salary taking risk on you..

If you quit the job, you have to take direct risk with your capital and your ability.

Trading is good Business...no doubt..but, not at this age..be in the service and make your self financially healthy...
trades.mymail...

ha ha :)

what are you going to do? you expected some direction now people are teaming up in two camps further confusing you!

Both camps are in a sense right. Only your personal situation and gut feelings can resolve things for you! If you are married with heavy commitments and zero support, decision is risky, if you are single (like me) absolutely this is the time! I don't think trading will tarnish your resume but will add a valuable entry among millions of "copy cat no skin in the game hide behind credentials with no practical risk taking type people"! I don't think your technical skills will be wasted in trading instead trading will completely absorb all your technical competencies (eg: try building a tick database of streaming quotes. you need to know realtime event handling + Database, or simply statistical book keeping of all your trading records, or scanning system that detects correlation among various stocks/indices, how about using machine learning in quant trading, how about exploring 'complex adaptive systems' with simulation? ... if you think these are not technical or ambitious enough, how about bitcoin+trading and try a little bit of disrupting the entire damn finance industry world wide? only your imagination and sky is the limit)

Interesting thread!
By the way if you have not read 'alchemist' a nice novel, forget all this confusion, read it and come back again!
You are the shepherd boy in the story! you will recognize multiple personalities from the novel speaking to you now in this thread!
You will see 'the baker' who never followed his heart but settled for social status, 'the shopkeeper' who never traveled for fear of risking,
'the english man' over analytical guy who never listened to his guts etc. great novel!

Last edited:

How do you know for sure its going to be a disaster. He could be success as well.

How do you his confidence will go down? his confidence could go up also.

They are paying him minimum wage and extracting maximum work from him. He is trying to escape from that. is he wrong?

Its never too late to start , time will pass anyways. It all matters to you. It is his decision to take this risk and assess if its worth it to him or not. Age or time doesn't matter.

I can't believe how people think they are so right and confident in giving advice to someone without understanding them or their background entirely.

Simply unbelievable...well that's internet for you...

laotze

How do you know for sure its going to be a disaster. He could be success as well.

How do you his confidence will go down? his confidence could go up also.

They are paying him minimum wage and extracting maximum work from him. He is trying to escape from that. is he wrong?

Its never too late to start , time will pass anyways. It all matters to you. It is his decision to take this risk and assess if its worth it to him or not. Age or time doesn't matter.

I can't believe how people think they are so right and confident in giving advice to someone without understanding them or their background entirely.

Simply unbelievable...well that's internet for you...
It is not the question of I am right or wrong....practically to generate revenue from market takes time...till that time one should have financial back and mental strength to meet the goal...otherwise it will disaster in general...make a try...

It is not the question of I am right or wrong....practically to generate revenue from market takes time...till that time one should have financial back and mental strength to meet the goal...otherwise it will disaster in general...make a try...
So you think the poster doesn't know that.
you think he will just take a huge risk without having a backup plan for his finances.

looks like you seem to know more about posters financial health and his risk appetite than the poster himself.

This is what amazes me...

:)

laotze

So you think the poster doesn't know that.
you think he will just take a huge risk without having a backup plan for his finances.

looks like you seem to know more about posters financial health and his risk appetite than the poster himself.

This is what amazes me...

:)
Even child can knows the risk, why not the poster himself...my views are my perception not giving any direction to any one..it may be right or it may wrong....that is individuals discretion...

lemondew

Alchemist sounds intresting. I ll give it a read.

trades.mymail...

ha ha :)

what are you going to do? you expected some direction now people are teaming up in two camps further confusing you!

Both camps are in a sense right. Only your personal situation and gut feelings can resolve things for you! If you are married with heavy commitments and zero support, decision is risky, if you are single (like me) absolutely this is the time! I don't think trading will tarnish your resume but will add a valuable entry among millions of "copy cat no skin in the game hide behind credentials with no practical risk taking type people"! I don't think your technical skills will be wasted in trading instead trading will completely absorb all your technical competencies (eg: try building a tick database of streaming quotes. you need to know realtime event handling + Database, or simply statistical book keeping of all your trading records, or scanning system that detects correlation among various stocks/indices, how about using machine learning in quant trading, how about exploring 'complex adaptive systems' with simulation? ... if you think these are not technical or ambitious enough, how about bitcoin+trading and try a little bit of disrupting the entire damn finance industry world wide? only your imagination and sky is the limit)

Interesting thread!
By the way if you have not read 'alchemist' a nice novel, forget all this confusion, read it and come back again!
You are the shepherd boy in the story! you will recognize multiple personalities from the novel speaking to you now in this thread!
You will see 'the baker' who never followed his heart but settled for social status, 'the shopkeeper' who never traveled for fear of risking,
'the english man' over analytical guy who never listened to his guts etc. great novel!

u sud not leave ur job untill u find a system giving consistent results. try to find a suitable system while on job test it on real time as well trade on leave from office i see no point leaving the job and finding a system. from heading of the thread i think u have got one. traders are not respected in society but if u are a winner u can manage it but after leaving ur job if u are a loosers people will punish u.:thumb::thumb:

Sultaan

So what you are saying is the time and money you put from the Age of 3 to 23 is a waste. You spent nearly 18 years to become an Engineer and you think you are not good at being a Software engineer. How can you now think that you will be a Good trader?

If you listen closely to your heart and if you have family commitments, I am sure you will not quit your job. The reason that you have started this thread itself shows that you are not sure to quit your job. So if you are not sure do not do it.

Do not quit your job. Instead modify your system to do some cool trading spending max 30 minutes to one hour in a day and make some 20% on top of your current salary in a month. So that way you have your salary and may be you make 2 times or 3 times your salary using trading in a Year.

Quitting a Job to do full time trading is a BRAVE Idea but not a WISE idea. Unless you are born to some millionaire and have a load of cash and assets that you can sit and enjoy your father's or ancestral wealth.
I completely agree with Raj...

Little food for thought... as whatever is gonna be your decision & am sure you wont consider the negatives of trading life till you completely leave your job:

1. You say you have been dabbling in US stocks since 2 years.... the period in which all has been smooth sailing one way bull market... typically every bull market I find many start making money (albeit in the later stage & think of taking trading full time & leave their secure jobs... have seen 3 bull markets & same mindsets I see everytime...

2. I have been trading in Indian markets since 15 years & following it since 1990... I am a full time trader, full time as in , trading income is now my main income... IMHO, Medium to long term trades will always be the most profitable... I have settled to the level that I do 5/7 trades a month & see charts once or twice a week... so If you do some research & find method which suits you best I am sure you will not need to give up your job & earn well in mkts too...

All the best which ever way you go...:thumb: