Help needed to solve range bar problem

jlmalhotra

4 shared dot com/office/wB-DvFKL/COPPER_G2-MCX_1_Tick_Bar.html

Approx 1 month of tick data OF COPPER 29 FEB

YOU WILL NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE ONLY IN TICK CHARTS. TIME BARS MIGHT NOT SHOW MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE

4 shared dot com/office/wB-DvFKL/COPPER_G2-MCX_1_Tick_Bar.html

Approx 1 month of tick data OF COPPER 29 FEB

YOU WILL NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE ONLY IN TICK CHARTS. TIME BARS MIGHT NOT SHOW MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE
thanks a lot for the data

--what is the difference u are talking here?
--what is the source of this data??

pls do reply for my other queries

jlmalhotra

thanks a lot for the data

--what is the difference u are talking here?
--what is the source of this data??

pls do reply for my other queries
There wont me much difference, if you plot 1min of 5 Min bars from ODIN Excel Sheet and the data I have uploaded.

You will notice the difference only if you plot Tick Bars or Volume Range Bars from both sources and compare.

I will be deleting the uploaded file once you have downloaded

Hello sir,
The image you have posted does not show valid range bars.
Because in range bar, The opening of next bar should always be outside the
range of previous bar. But in image you have posted, many bars have opened in range of previous bar.
May be these are N-tick bars only.
I am thinking of buying amibroker only if it can provide proper range bar. But it seems I have to look at other options.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello sir,
The image you have posted does not show valid range bars.
Because in range bar, The opening of next bar should always be outside the
range of previous bar. But in image you have posted, many bars have opened in range of previous bar.
May be these are N-tick bars only.
I am thinking of buying amibroker only if it can provide proper range bar. But it seems I have to look at other options.
For proper range I am attaching an image of Trade Navigator software.
Thanks
Your image is black and doesn't show anything. So TN does show invisible range bars? lol. Amibroker shows correct range bars. Simply open your eyes and see here http://www.traderji.com/amibroker/64519-help-needed-solve-range-bar-problem-4.html#post624202 and http://www.traderji.com/amibroker/64519-help-needed-solve-range-bar-problem-4.html#post624203

Last edited:
Your image is black and doesn't show anything. So TN does show invisible range bars? lol. Amibroker shows correct range bars. Simply open your eyes and see here http://www.traderji.com/amibroker/64519-help-needed-solve-range-bar-problem-4.html#post624202 and http://www.traderji.com/amibroker/64519-help-needed-solve-range-bar-problem-4.html#post624203
Sorry I didn't see your later posts. Thanks for your useful posts in this thread. :thumb:
I was really thinking of other options like NinjaTrader. .. I still have some doubts regarding Amibroker.
1. Is it possible to open range bar graph using csv data on hardisk.
2. Can I save the range bar chart on graph back to csv file on harddisk.
Can I try range bar feature in trial mode of amibroker 5.5

Thanks in advance

1. Is it possible to open range bar graph using csv data on hardisk.
2. Can I save the range bar chart on graph back to csv file on harddisk.
Can I try range bar feature in trial mode of amibroker 5.5
regarding 1. Yes it can. But don't forget that your csv file's data has to be tick data (of course you can import and use 1-minute data or any other time frame too but then range bars won't be 100% correct because of obvious reasons). Tell me the format of the csv file's data and I will prepare an import format file. Also you probably need to activate TICKMODE to import quotes that have duplicate time stamps. http://www.amibroker.com/guide/d_ascii.html
regarding 2. Yes of course you can.
regarding 3. During the 30 days trial period all options should be available, AFAIK.

Last edited:
Thanks For the immediate reply.
Yes I have already tried importing the 1min csv file of crude oil to amibroker
It is working fine. Even range bars are good except for occasional jumps due to
obvious reasons... yes
But it is working even without configuring any data in ticksize
It looks like its a steep learning curve in understanding the amibroker and its
configurations.
Appreciate your concern for helping me :)

Yes I have already tried importing the 1min csv file of crude oil to amibroker
It is working fine. Even range bars are good except for occasional jumps due to
obvious reasons... yes
But it is working even without configuring any data in ticksize
Well as you rightly expected 1-minute data shouldn't be used so take care. I'm just repeating it for other users by quoting

Range Bars are price-driven bars, with each bar having a required minimum high-low range. Source data are consolidated into one bar until the range requirement is reached, then a new bar is started. It works best with tick data that have only one price per data point. You can use it with other base time intervals as well, but please note that if single source bar H-L range exceeds desired range, the output will be single bar that has range higher than requested. In other words source bars exceeding desired range won't be split into several range bars.
In Amibroker you can make customized range bars either going to Tools->Preferences->Intraday or in AFL code using TimeFrameMode() function

Example:

TimeFrameMode( 3 ); // turn on range bars
TimeFrameSet( 1.5 ); // set compression to 1.5$ range bar

Read the help for more info