General Trading Chat

vivektrader

In persuit of financial independence.
Bajaj finance had steller results, any news on HDFC life results?

Vivek

Got a phone call from Bajaj Finance....asking if I would like to get a presanctioned advance limit sanctioned.....though I dont need any loan and I declined the offer but this call indicates that they have not frozen due to the liquidity crises and they have sufficient liquidity which they want to deploy ...they are not going slow on their operations.

ST

Long process but in short one can say that if the company assets are good assets then some other company can bid for those assets and the lenders get their money...but in most cases, the banks take inordinate delay in going for liquidation and the interest ,salaries cost goes on adding and assets deteriorate due to non use and tech upgradation...so in these cases the lenders have to take haircut depending on how much the money is received by selling the assets..

ST
Do we need to worry if lenders take the company to NCLT? and when lenders approach NCLT does it mean that Bankruptcy proceedings have started and we should book loss and move on?

Do we need to worry if lenders take the company to NCLT? and when lenders approach NCLT does it mean that Bankruptcy proceedings have started and we should book loss and move on?
The company goes to NCLT means they are not able to pay their loans and interest......so there is a problem...

NCLT process sometimes can be very long and if assets are not good then it will be difficult to get a bidder bidding a good offer....equity investor or even FD holders will be the last who will be paid if there is surplus after paying the secured lenders.....

Smart_trade

Hi ST Da
ZERODHA Has started option of buying Govt bonds & T bills..
please share your knowledge about it? Will it be save to put it in Bank FD OR IN THOSE BANDS?m
MY family's all liquid assets is in Govt Bank's FDS ..but now looking at condition of Govt banks, I am worried.As I know in case of worse condition, the deposit insurance will give only 1lac rs per Account.
MY & MY FAMILYs most savings are only in Bank FDS..You can say our life savings & only fincancial security lies in those Bank FDS. I diversified it in 4-5 GOVT BANKS ..But nowadays I am really worried ..Its my only financial security.
What do you suggest..I will not invest it in EQUITY in any form..I mean I want to keep 90% of it in only in secured investment.I keep a part of of liquid asset into trading/investment account..rest is only in FDs..Ya I will invest in Equity What I am earning right now & will earn in future..that I will not put in FD..but as If now, I put all my savings in FDs .Its also important for my mom as Intrest earning is her source of income.Though we never withdrawl intrest from it.
Please suggest
thanks

The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (“IBC”), combines in a single legislation, the processes for resolution or liquidation of corporate persons. Let’s look the various steps involved.

Step 1 – Application to the NCLT

A financial or operational creditor of a company, or the company itself, can apply to the National Company Law Tribunal (“NCLT”) for an order to admit that company (or “Corporate Debtor” as the IBC calls it) into the corporate insolvency resolution process (“CIRP”). The creditor has to show that there has been a default in the payment of its debt exceeding 1 lakh rupees. The NCLT has to pass an order either admitting or denying the application within 14 days (although the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (“NCLAT”) in J.K. Jute Mills Co. v. M/s Surendra Trading Co. has now held that this provision is merely directory).

A financial creditor and an operational creditor need to meet slightly different evidentiary thresholds when making their applications before the NCLT. A financial creditor has to show the record of the default. The IBC has created a new class of record keepers called “Information Utilities” but since these have not yet been set up, the records maintained in statements of accounts, bankers’ book certificates, and credit information bureaus are currently being used.

In Innoventive Industries Limited v ICICI Bank Limited, one of the earliest cases under the IBC, the NCLAT clarified that the scope of the NCLT’s enquiry in such an application was limited to the question of whether or not a default existed, and that it should not enquire further into the circumstances of the default, or whether it was appropriate for the corporate debtor to be admitted into CIRP. The Supreme Court recently endorsed this position.

On the other hand, an operational creditor (more on the distinction between financial and operational creditors in a later article) needs to first make a demand for his unpaid debt and it is open to the corporate debtor to defend the claim on the basis that there is an ongoing dispute.

Step 2 – CRIP starts; Interim Resolution Professional takes over; moratorium sets in

Once a corporate debtor is admitted into the CIRP, its board of directors is suspended and its management is placed under an independent “interim resolution professional”. From this point on and until the end of the CIRP, the erstwhile management ceases to have any control over the affairs of the company.

Simultaneously, a moratorium takes effect which prohibits: (a) the continuation or initiation of any legal proceedings against the corporate debtor, (b) the transfer of its assets, (c) the enforcement of any security interest, (d) the recovery of any property from it by an owner or lessor, and (e) the suspension or termination of the supply of essential goods and services to it. The moratorium lasts till the corporate debtor is in CIRP.

It is important to note here that the moratorium does not extend to key business contracts entered into by the corporate debtor. Many contracts stipulate insolvency, bankruptcy, and analogous proceedings as events that trigger termination and the mere admission of the corporate debtor into CIRP could give rise to the termination of its key business contracts.

Step 3 – Verification and classification of claims, appointment of the resolution professional: The interim resolution professional will then invite and verify claims made by the corporate debtor’s creditors, classify them, and within 30 days of the admission into CIRP, form the Committee of Creditors (“COC”), comprising all the financial creditors of the corporate debtor.

Step 4 – Appointment of the resolution professional

The COC then appoints an independent person to function as the “resolution professional” for the remainder of the CIRP term. The resolution professional may be the same person as the interim resolution professional, or someone else, depending on what the COC wants.

Step 5 – Approval of the “resolution plan” or liquidation

Within 180 days from the start of the CIRP, a resolution plan for the revival of the company needs to be approved by creditors holding 75% of the financial debt. The NCLT can extend this by another 90 days.

Any person, including the erstwhile management, the creditors, or a third party can propose such a plan. As it is the responsibility of the resolution professional to verify that the plan meets the criteria set out in the IBC, it would seem that the Resolution Professional cannot propose this plan, although this is not expressly prohibited under the IBC. I’ll discuss more about the resolution plan in a later article.

If a plan is approved within this period and is sanctioned by the NCLT, it is adopted and becomes binding on all “stakeholders” involved in the CIRP. The term “stakeholders” has not been defined and while the IBC expressly mentions that the resolution plan will bind the creditors, employees, members, and guarantors, it is currently not clear what other stakeholders a resolution plan can bind.

And if no resolution plan is approved in this period, the NCLT is required to order the liquidation of the corporate debtor. If an order of liquidation is passed, a liquidator will be appointed by the COC to sell the assets of the corporate debtor and distribute the assets among the stakeholders. The distribution will be made in accordance with a “priority waterfall” set out in Section 53 of the IBC. This will be addressed in a later article.

Time is of the essence, limited judicial role

The IBC, by providing for various time limits in the process, has introduces a “time” element that was missing from previous legislations. Significantly, liquidation has to be ordered compulsorily if a resolution is not worked out within 180 days (or the extended 270 days). The expectation is that stakeholders will be forced to work together in a constructive manner to avoid liquidation.

Another significant deviation from the previous regime is that financial creditors drive this process, not the courts. Ultimately, any resolution plan has to be approved by the COC members holding 75% of the financial debt. The NCLT needs to look only at some parameters set out in the IBC while approving the resolution plan. This is quite a contrast to the earlier winding up regime, where a court would determine whether a company should be admitted into winding up or not.

Source: http://blog.mylaw.net/5-steps-liquidation-resolution-indias-new-insolvency-law
Thank you soft trader and smart trade. your information really helped me in getting an overall idea. thanks

Hi ST Da
ZERODHA Has started option of buying Govt bonds & T bills..
please share your knowledge about it? Will it be save to put it in Bank FD OR IN THOSE BANDS?m
MY family's all liquid assets is in Govt Bank's FDS ..but now looking at condition of Govt banks, I am worried.As I know in case of worse condition, the deposit insurance will give only 1lac rs per Account.
MY & MY FAMILYs most savings are only in Bank FDS..You can say our life savings & only fincancial security lies in those Bank FDS. I diversified it in 4-5 GOVT BANKS ..But nowadays I am really worried ..Its my only financial security.
What do you suggest..I will not invest it in EQUITY in any form..I mean I want to keep 90% of it in only in secured investment.I keep a part of of liquid asset into trading/investment account..rest is only in FDs..Ya I will invest in Equity What I am earning right now & will earn in future..that I will not put in FD..but as If now, I put all my savings in FDs .Its also important for my mom as Intrest earning is her source of income.Though we never withdrawl intrest from it.
Please suggest
thanks
I would suggest following avenues for investing your family's capital :

1) If there is any senior citizen in the family, go for Senior Citizen Saving Scheme...this is a scheme of Govt of India and the money is secured.This is the best scheme and most secured for your mother who I guess must be a senior citizen ( above 60 years age ) You can put Rs 15 L max in this and it pays 8.7 % as of now.
2) Look for short term liquid funds or bond funds of some good mutual funds...they have no equity risk.The returns after tax are better than bank FDs. Spread the amount in 2-3 funds.
3) Invest small amounts of 2-3 L each in Non Convertible Debentures of some good companies...currently Shriram Transport Finance is having a NCD issue open.
4) Invest in some good companies FDs ...like Bajaj Finance, Shriram Transport Finance etc...put small amount 2-3 L in each , dont put big amount so that the risk is spread....they are safe and they pay 9.25-9.5 % pa
5) Govt bonds are also good but they will have low returns....I have invested only in Capital Gains Tax saving bonds which pay only 6 % pa....other bonds I have never invested.

Smart_trade

Last edited:
I would suggest following avenues for investing your family's capital :

1) If there is any senior citizen in the family, go for Senior Citizen Saving Scheme...this is a scheme of Govt of India and the money is secured.This is the best scheme and most secured for your mother who I guess must be a senior citizen ( above 60 years age ) You can put Rs 15 L max in this and it pays 8.7 % as of now.
2) Look for short term liquid funds or bond funds of some good mutual funds...they have no equity risk.The returns after tax are better than bank FDs. Spread the amount in 2-3 funds.
3) Invest small amounts of 2-3 L each in Non Convertible Debentures of some good companies...currently Shriram Transport Finance is having a NCD issue open.
4) Invest in some good companies FDs ...like Bajaj Finance, Shriram Transport Finance etc...put small amount 2-3 L in each , dont put big amount so that the risk is spread....they are safe and they pay 9.25-9.5 % pa
5) Govt bonds are also good but they will have low returns....I have invested only in Capital Gains Tax saving bonds which pay only 6 % pa....other bonds I have never invested.

Smart_trade
Could you please suggest few fund names for 2)
and I would like to know what benefits do we get in investng in 5)capital gains tax saving bonds over NSC in post office

vivektrader

In persuit of financial independence.