EMA Crossover system -- huge earning potential

Re: EMA Crossover system -- Simple yet very effective

Hello Friends,

I'm working on three EMA cross over system & my initial testing (back testing as well live testing) yielded me some fantastic returns. This makes me think why this can't be used be MFs or big institutes as it can easily multiply your wealth manifold.

To me it looks like that it is almost risk free (with sufficient capital & proper position sizing) and earning is way beyond my expectations. Yes this system can be improved in big way. I need comments/inputs & most importantly ideas to improve for everybody's benefit.

Primary consideration
1. Need very few trades
2. No less than 30 minutes period.. higher time frame is preferred
3. Strict stop loss but remain in trade for long (I initally started with 100 points trailing)
4. Trade primarily in Nifty only

Basic rules about the system
1. Three EMAs I call them FastAvg (FA), SlowAvg (SA) & StopAvg (ST)
2. Buy when FA crosses SA from below
3. Sell when FA crosses ST from above or at SL
4. Short when FA crosses SA from above
5. Cover when FA crosses ST from below or at SL
All actions are to be taken at the close of candle (30-min) only.

Risk management:
Initial stop loss of 20 points only.
Trailing stop loss 50 points

Money Management:
I suggest starting with 1 Lac & trading strictly 2 lots of Nifty.

Results:
See results attached.

Please understand that these results are achieved by trading 2 lots of nifty all the time. Period is from 16-Aug to 15-Apr (8 months). Also add 40K in profits as Amibroker sometimes takes lot size as one (don't know why -- may be my programming mistake -- I need help here -- see last para)

Also, I've purposefully not mentioned EMA values. As to me they are not important. With little testing & understanding your trading profile, you can optimize numbers. I actually can generate these results with lot of different combinations. Key here is to remain in trade for long & cut the losses if trade is going wrong.

Scope for improvements
1. This system is taking long & short trade alternatively. Thus we miss quite a few entries. For example we entered in a long trade but hit SL in this case now our next trade is short trade only & if market is trending upwards than we may miss entire move. Solution here could be another entry signal may be?
2. Also while using this system, you may notice that few trades are such where trades are reversed (from short to long or otherwise) in 3-4 candles only. I thought of using delayed entry (after 20 points or so) or angle of crossover (for example if angle is more than 30 degree than only go for trade).

I think if above two can be achieved than it would be very effective system.

Need help for better AFL programming
I also need help to program following points in better way
1. Visual signal for entry & exits
2. Info box to show details such as entry price, current profit, current sl etc.
3. Position sizing logic Ive taken this from some other AFL however AmiBroker arbitrarily takes one or two lots or I could not understand logic

Currently my syntax is as below...
SetOption("MaxOpenPositions",1);
RoundLotSize = 50;
SetOption("MinShares",RoundLotSize);
PositionSize = C*50*2;

I appreciate discussion on improving this system & also other aspects of AFL coding.

Request to Seniors/AFL experts : your help/comments needed & will be highly appreciated.

Request to other members: Please engage seniors/AFL experts to this discussion & let's have a meaningful discussion.

Thank you all.
Dear sir,

tell me which S/w is best for developing the strategies, experts and DLLs

I was just backtesting myamit's this system on 30min chart of Nifty,the result are as follows:
Period:16 Dec 2010 to 08 Jun 11
Total 39 signals generated
14 profitable trades gave 2001 points
25 loss trades took away 974 points
Total profit of 1027 points
No brokerage or rollover is considered.Last leg of this strategy is also not considered.(Which is almost 200 points gain)
---Sanjay

hyi,
i dont have amibroker or any other software. i use icharts for EMA crossovers & i am a bit confused with the rules. because i dont use any software these codes are of no use for me.

can anyone of you please put in all the rules, the EMA's used and stop loss and target in one thread in simple words??!!?? :confused::)

this would realy help me................

regards,

varun.

prst

I was just backtesting myamit's this system on 30min chart of Nifty,the result are as follows:
No brokerage or rollover is considered.Last leg of this strategy is also not considered.(Which is almost 200 points gain)
---Sanjay
even the large number of loss trades, resulted in a small loss..
this happens only if the SL is followed strictly and religiously, which rarely happens in real trading.

myamit

Dear Amit,

when we copied the above into afl it shows the error
Action type not initialized
Triggered at not initialized
Current price not initialized
Stop loss at not initialized
Proffit/Loss not initialized

So, whatever avilable afl in back pages not containing the above lines. please look into it.
Guys,

Please do not just copy & paste AFL code. To me, purpose of posts here are to share info & enhance knowledge. However I'm not sure just copy/paste will help anybody. Please understand that this AFL is not a goldmine. It is simply a moving average crossover system that seems to be a good trading guideline.

As I've mentioned in my earlier posts, you have to substitute above variable with suitable variable in your AFL.

myamit

---Sanjay
@Sanjay: Thank you for testing this system. As I do not want people to be biased with my settings & optimization, I'm not sharing precise numbers (and frankly they are not really important).

Basic concept here is to follow the trend & remain in trend till it lasts. This though has been complemented with effective SL system to ensure reward is in multiple of risk taken.

Should you wish, I'll be happy to share more info/test results. I'll also appreciate your findings to make this system more effective by adding logic such as reentry, position addition/reduction etc.

myamit

even the large number of loss trades, resulted in a small loss..
this happens only if the SL is followed strictly and religiously, which rarely happens in real trading.
@prst:
I agree that stop loss needs to be followed strictly & religiously. But in my opinion any system can be profitable only if SL is being followed strictly.

Again I've not seen any good system that generates more than 40-50% success ratio over a longer term. However to me, system plays only 10% role in any trader's success. His discipline approach and mindset is the most important ingredient for success.

I'll appreciate your views in this context.

myamit

hyi,
can anyone of you please put in all the rules, the EMA's used and stop loss and target in one thread in simple words??!!?? :confused::)

regards,
varun.
Dear Varun,

This has been already mentioned in first post itself. Plesae review & do let me know if you have any specific query.

prst

@prst:
I agree that stop loss needs to be followed strictly & religiously. But in my opinion any system can be profitable only if SL is being followed strictly.

Again I've not seen any good system that generates more than 40-50% success ratio over a longer term. However to me, system plays only 10% role in any trader's success. His discipline approach and mindset is the most important ingredient for success.

I'll appreciate your views in this context.
i completely agree with u in this aspect.
i feel system is 20% and rest depends on the person doing the trade.
i am always overcome by human emotions, and not able to exit a trade at right time. so many instances when i was sitting on a good profit, only to waste it away in greed of getting more profits :(