Confessions of a banknifty trader

niftytaurus

Hi
As I told you I have stopped trading & got back to do practise..but whenever I feel like , i do some trades..as to keep check about my emotions..
so two small scalp trades today..1 trade in morning...after 11 some guests came..so missed the whole move..but if u see , its BO OF YDAY HIGH.., but missed it!when got back to terminal, its already 1:45..just scalped a contra trend trade..pata nahi sari achhi moves mere pecchey sey hi kyon hoti hai..:)
two trades & target is completed so didnt attempt 2 pm move..
ya! today I tried 2 lot position size..as if I am right, then I should not be in loss..booked some profit on 1 lot & 2 lot on BE or tsl, depends on position..its helpful..as many times, when I used to take 1 lot, I couldnt book small profits &even right trade gives losses..so this 2 lot position size is good
thanks

niftytaurus

Do You Constantly Sabotage Yourself?

Few people are likely to understand self sabotage more than traders. While it’s an innate tendency in almost all of us, traders get to experience it more often and more directly than most others. If you’ve traded for any period of time, you know what I’m talking about. It seems like whenever things start to go well, you find a way to mess it up. It almost feels like you want yourself to fail. But how could that be? Who would want themselves to fail?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. – Marianne Williamson
This quote may be the very thing that helps you understand your tendency to sabotage yourself. Marianne Williamson is an author who has ventured deep into the human psyche in her writings on spirituality. What she’s bringing to our attention here, is that what we often fear most is not failure, but success. Of course this is completely unconscious. No one goes out there and thinks “man, it sure would be scary if I succeeded, made lots of money, and got everything I wanted.” Consciously, most of us want very much to succeed. But it’s not the conscious mind that is in control.

Of course, the natural question that arises at this point is: why do we have this unconscious fear? And the most basic answer provided by psychology and the great spiritualities is that we all carry around unconscious guilt. Deep down, we believe we are lacking in some way and that we don’t deserve to receive abundance in any form. However, the reality is that we indeed are powerful beyond measure and do deserve great success. But it’s hard to accept that because it conflicts with our unconscious beliefs. And nothing is more uncomfortable to a person than having reality conflict with their beliefs. We’ll do anything in our power to alter reality so that it comes back into synch with our beliefs. In the world of trading, this translates into doing those things that cause losses whenever you’re up a lot of money, because succeeding like that is uncomfortable and causes internal resistance.

If you’ve experienced that nagging feeling that something feels wrong when you do very well, that’s the resistance in action. If you suddenly stop doing what made you successful just as you’re really succeeding, that’s the resistance in action. It’s not always obvious. In fact it’s usually quite subtle. But it’s there in most people, and now you have an idea why. It’s just something that is a deep part of the human psyche.

But having said that, what do you do about it? Well, like I’ve mentioned a few times before on this blog, there is great power in awareness. It has a momentum of its own. So next time you experience these signs of self sabotage coming up, instead of fighting them- which is the natural reaction- simply watch them with awareness. Recognize that they’re normal and don’t judge yourself for having them. When you bring what’s unconscious into the realm of conscious awareness without fighting or judging it, it loses its power over you. You’ll now have a means of severing that link between it and the actions you take. And this is the key. You have to realize that you may never get rid of the unconscious fear of succeeding, but that doesn’t mean that it has to keep leading to sabotage. Awareness severs that link between it and automatic action, and then you can use the power of choice to accept the success and not sabotage yourself out of it.

I’m interested to hear your thoughts. Have you experienced self sabotage in trading before? What form did it take? Do you have any techniques that you use to deal with it? Your comments are welcomed.
SOurce:internet

niftytaurus

Is This Subtle Issue Hurting Your Bottom-line?

It’s not always about the big things. We do so many complex and painstaking things to work on our trading, but sometimes it’s the subtle changes that can make a big difference to our bottom-line. And what’s more subtle and seemingly innocent than having expectations?

As traders- and human beings for that matter- it’s very hard to not have expectations. Each time we get in a trade it’s natural to fast-forward in our minds and think about the profits we could make. Each time we sit at our trading desk it’s natural to have expectations about results. But what if having such expectations is hurting your bottom-line?

The Problem and Its Consequences

Here’s a quote from the great Golf psychologist Bob Rotella:

I have never worked with a golfer who could play anywhere close to his potential unless he shed his expectations before he walked on to the course. Expectations can hurt you immensely if you are focused on the results of a particular stroke, hole or round. Why? You keep judging how well you are playing against how well you expect to do. You get angry at yourself and tie yourself up in knots. You lose the simple joy of the game. If you must have expectations about results, expect to make mistakes.
This is a great quote. As it says, the problem is that having expectations causes you to become results centered. And being results centered in trading will kill your bottom-line. Let’s assume that you think this day will be a large breakout day that will trend all day long. It’s definitely fine to expect this if the market is showing you signs for its potential. But the problem occurs when you start expecting and looking forward to the great profits you’re going to have. Now you’re no longer process-focused. And so if your first trade happens to be a loss, it’s going to affect you more than usual. Now, not only do you have to deal with the normal emotions of losing, but you have to deal with falling short of expectations. You’ve created a gap between your mind and reality, and you’re naturally going to feel worse because of it. You’ll also feel like you’ve failed and that it’s not acceptable to fall short, and you may become more aggressive and take unwarranted risk. Often, what was just one loss or missed trade becomes your unraveling point because you expected so much better. But what if you didn’t expect?

An Elegant Solution

The problem with expecting is that it’s almost impossible not to expect. If you trade trend days well then it’s natural to expect big profits when you think a trend day is coming. So how do you not do this and stay focused on process instead? The solution is provided by Bob Rotella in the above quote. You can have expectations, but not the same ones you usually do. Rather, by recognizing that trading, like golf, is a game that will naturally contain mistakes and ups and downs, you can expect that. And now if you have a loss, it won’t be something that breaks you down because you were expecting ups and downs. And if you miss a trade, you won’t beat yourself up so much because you were expecting to not be perfect. After all, it’s the nature of the game.

You see it’s all about where we focus our thinking. If we can’t help but to expect something, then instead of trying to get rid of expectations that hurt our bottom-line, we can shift their focus to something that helps it. And what will help your bottom-line is expecting ups and downs and being ready to deal with them from a positive mindset. Now your thoughts aren’t about how much money you’re going to make, but about how well you’re going to deal with the inevitable setbacks during the day. And a funny thing happens when you’re in that state of mind. You make more money. You’re focused on correct trading psychology and correct trading process, and you naturally trade better. And your expectations are now the driving force behind a better bottom-line instead of the thing that is making it worse.

Watch Yourself

Like I’ve said numerous times before, there is a power in self-awareness. Watch your mind and try to catch expectations about results as they arise. Don’t judge yourself about them or try to push them away. That will only make them linger. I know this because I’ve tried this in my own trading. If I try not to expect, or to avoid it, it stays in my mind. In fact that’s the case with anything you want to avoid. The more you resist it the more it persists. So instead just watch it non-judgmentally and then choose to focus on something else. Expect ups and downs and expect to trade great through them. Expect to trade well, and to bounce back well when you don’t. This will keep you focused on the right things.

I faced this issue in my trading when I’d expect the huge profits that are going to be mine when I thought a big trending move would ensue. Thinking about all the profits I was going to have, I would find it hard to change my market view when the move was not materializing. The results expectation would create a mindset that made it hard for me read the market objectively. But eventually I learned to watch these expectations, know they’re natural (i.e. not beat myself up over them), and start expecting myself to trade well or handle adversity well when I don’t. In this way, I would end up either trading well, or bouncing back really well from mistakes which would then end up allowing me to make good trades despite the setback. In this way, I took a subtle weakness that was damaging my bottom-line and turned it into a strength. And whenever you can do that, the money will follow.
source:internet

niftytaurus

My message to traders who want to make it

It’s not meant to be easy to do all of this; in fact it’s meant to be very hard. If it were easy anyone could do it. Almost everyone knows what it takes; few can actually do it consistently. That’s the challenge. When adversity strikes even when you’re doing the right things, it’s not unfortunate because greatness is not just about doing the right things, but about doing them even when they cause pain and discomfort. Weathering the tough times is the inherent prerequisite for being great.

Adversity is built into the game and therefore it’s not an unfortunate set-back that is keeping you from your potential; rather your potential is cut very short without being able to deal well with adversity. So expect great results long-term, but adversity and ups and downs short-term. It’s got to always be about doing the long-term beneficial, not the short-term pleasurable. And we don’t deviate from that, no matter the pressure. And we relish the opportunity to be mentally tough as adversity strikes when so many would wilt and when it feels so unnatural to be optimistic and confident. That is the real goal and priority.

Now keep conditioning. Constantly reprocess and replace any thoughts that aren’t in line with all of this. It will take a great commitment to unlearn old thinking patterns and instill a new way of thinking to the point of habit. And you can do it.

niftytaurus

The One Thing That Will Finally Improve Your Trading Psychology

You’ve read all the books. You know the theory behind great trading psychology. You have dozens of insights and techniques. And yet you struggle. Feeling like the markets are personally out to get you. Feeling like a victim. Feeling like it’s too hard.

I have one sentence for you. It’s supposed to be hard. Read that again. Because not only is it the simple truth, but internalizing that sentence will also do more for your trading psychology than most things you could ever try.

Think about what you’re saying when you tell yourself that it’s supposed to be hard. You’re saying that no matter what you’re going through right now- losing streak, bad stretch of results, missed opportunities- it’s normal. That no matter how bad it feels, it’s all a part of the path. That no matter what happens… you’re not a victim.

And what could be more damaging to your trading psychology than feeling like a victim? You blame the market for your losses. You feel bad and demotivated when you hit a rough stretch. You feel helpless and hopeless. And this feeds all your other bad habits of lack of discipline. It’s a root cause. After all, discipline is a state of mind, and your state of mind is influenced most by how positive and in control you feel.

But you’ll no longer feel like a victim when you finally internalize the fact that it’s supposed to be hard. Adversity won’t feel so much like some unfortunate event that blindsided you anymore. Adversity is part of the process. And because you know it’s supposed to be hard, you’re not so frustrated when adversity inevitably rears its head. Now you’re expecting it. Waiting for it. Ready to use it to push you forward.

Why? Because you now know that handling adversity is what separates the wannabe traders from the pros. It’s what great trading psychology is really all about. And so now you’ll dig deeper when it arises. It’s not an unfortunate incident- this is supposed to be hard. And you’ll revel in the challenge. It’s not an unfair playing field- this is supposed to be hard. And you’ll stop blaming external circumstances. After all, this is supposed to be hard.

And something ironic will happen. You’ll start being grateful that it’s so hard. Because it’ll hit you that if it were easy the rewards would be small. But that’s not why you got into trading. You want the rewards. And so you stop complaining, and you get working. And while all those traders around you curse their luck, and the markets, and the latest stop-out and missed opportunity, you quietly continue working on your craft. Because you know something that they don’t…

So what are you waiting for? It’s supposed to be hard and it’s not going to get any easier. Tell yourself that, and get working. Tell it to yourself the next time you take a loss. And tell it to yourself the when you miss a big trade. And tell it to yourself when it feels impossible to succeed. Because it’s not impossible. And you can make it. And you will make it. It’s just supposed to be hard.

niftytaurus

in BnF, now a days, I take only high probability trades..
problem of early profit booking still exists..as i shorted at 18390 & goes till 215..but I did 3 trades in this period & 1 trades gives loss even trade was right due to fear
I m posting tradings logs also that analysis is not hind sight..if admin wants, I will delete it..as Its only for learning purpose
thanks