Best trading platform for Automated trading

Since you are not familiar with programming, the simplest way is to use sendkeys function from vb macros. Google for sendkeys and trade automation. I'm assuming you have got an exe based trading terminal. I don't think u can automate browser based terminal this way. The things discussed at the start of the thread would require quite a bit of coding.
ya i do have an application based trading platform.. i will try out your suggestions and let you know..

Since you are not familiar with programming, the simplest way is to use sendkeys function from vb macros. Google for sendkeys and trade automation. I'm assuming you have got an exe based trading terminal. I don't think u can automate browser based terminal this way. The things discussed at the start of the thread would require quite a bit of coding.
Actually Automated form filling & web-page scraping (reading data from web-pages) would be easier to program for an experienced Perl, Python or even ASP/VB programmer.

However, due to inherent web-page query system, it is bound to be bit slower even though implementation should not be an issue.

Actually Automated form filling & web-page scraping (reading data from web-pages) would be easier to program for an experienced Perl, Python or even ASP/VB programmer.

However, due to inherent web-page query system, it is bound to be bit slower even though implementation should not be an issue.
You are correct. Automation is much easier with web platform (using grease monkey etc). I was refering to sendkeys method which works well with exe based platforms.

bro.. i dont believe trading in our country can actually be automated.. is it true like we have in developed nations ?
Hmmm..Right AND Wrong :D

Jaatiwaad here too :mad:

Retail Traders cannot use automation legally. On the other hand, anyone big enough to get its software & trading strategy approved for automated trading from the exchange is allowed to do it :confused:

Retail Traders cannot use automation legally. On the other hand, anyone big enough to get its software & trading strategy approved for automated trading from the exchange is allowed to do it :confused:
Also depends on how we interpret the word automation. IMO what sebi meant was algo based automated trading which require no human intervention what so ever. But partial automation of trade like risk management, fast entry should be fine. And what ever trade automation that a retail trader does on his own goes unnoticed :)

Also depends on how we interpret the word automation. IMO what sebi meant was algo based automated trading which require no human intervention what so ever. But partial automation of trade like risk management, fast entry should be fine. And what ever trade automation that a retail trader does on his own goes unnoticed :)
Point is all softwares to be used on the exchange are to be approved from that exchange. What's the need for this bureaucracy?

So, whats wrong with you or me buying an algo based software, if we see it is leading to profits? Again the point is we are not free to choose. And frankly, this aspect of trying to shield the retail trader has put him at a disadvantage.

An approved software vendor who sells software for arbitrage trading told me I can only buy his software if I am a direct exchange member. He was prohibited from selling it to anyone else. And a lot of brokers are using it to earn cash/futures & futures/futures arbitrage, but if we use amibroker or similar software, its illegal. Its nothing but a new apartheid.

Regarding interpretation, no retail trader is going for a writ in the supreme court to test what SEBI meant. Risk management is allright but faster entry would most probably be called automated trading since the bids would not be keyed in by hand, but by some sort of strategy. They want to shield the retail trader ;) of course, from getting any edge against the professional firms. :D

Point is all softwares to be used on the exchange are to be approved from that exchange. What's the need for this bureaucracy?

So, whats wrong with you or me buying an algo based software, if we see it is leading to profits? Again the point is we are not free to choose. And frankly, this aspect of trying to shield the retail trader has put him at a disadvantage.

An approved software vendor who sells software for arbitrage trading told me I can only buy his software if I am a direct exchange member. He was prohibited from selling it to anyone else. And a lot of brokers are using it to earn cash/futures & futures/futures arbitrage, but if we use amibroker or similar software, its illegal. Its nothing but a new apartheid.

Regarding interpretation, no retail trader is going for a writ in the supreme court to test what SEBI meant. Risk management is allright but faster entry would most probably be called automated trading since the bids would not be keyed in by hand, but by some sort of strategy. They want to shield the retail trader ;) of course, from getting any edge against the professional firms. :D
Very true. I keep wondering how on earth does sebi policy of limiting dma (and hence algo trading) to institutions safeguard retail crowd. Nothing but day time robbery :(

Sanjay and terminator,
I am new to stock markets so please pardon my ignorance. How can SEBI, or anyone, even know whether I have automated my trading or not? E.g. if I have a simple greasemonkey script and use ICICI direct which buys whenever mars is in my fourth house :)

Have I misunderstood your point, or is this also one of the immature absolutely unenforceable laws of India?

Also, can you tell me the kind of offence automated trading would be? Is it just against SEBI directives, or a civil offence, or a criminal offence? If I remember correctly, SEBI itself does not have powers to punish, so it can only sue me in a court.

thanks a lot
Amit