56 yrs female want to invest

Hi
I am 56 yrs f ,hv no liabilities want to make 1800000/- 18 lakh balanceFOR children .My annual income is 60000 .How can i make this amount in 10 yrs.Where to invest insurance/mf/equity?

krishna23

well if u could invest 5000 every month for the next 10 years...to get 1800000 it would take abt 20% returns annually!

I am afraid Mr.Krishna your solution of asking the lady to invest 5000 every month, which amounts to 60000 a year at an assumed return of 20% also will not help her reach the target figure of 18 lacs. On the contrary, she will be way short of achieving her financial goal at that rate of saving. Please see the attached Excel file showing the calcuation. I have further assumed that at the end of each year the amount earned as interest is plouged back for investment next year and so on.

However, if she were to consistently set aside 25000 every month, that will be 3 lacs every year & earn consistently the assumed return of 20% on it she will be past the mark of 18 lacs at the end of 10 years.

In the attached excel file you will have to change the figure of 60000, which will be her annual saving at 5000 every month as suggested by you, to 3 lacs to get 18 lacs at the end of 10 years. However, if she is only able to save 60000 every year and yet wants to reach her target of 18 lacs then i am afraid she will have to earn a whopping 40%+ return every year on a consistent basis. In the excel sheet just type 40 in place of 20 against the Assumed return to see the result.

krishna23

although u have calculated well but u have calculated compounded return of only the first 60000 what abt the following 9 years of 60k annually...just add up the total column in ur own excel file to get the compounded value...

ps:25k a month would compound to abt 75lakhs in the 10 yrs at 20%...and at 40% would be 2crores...

Last edited:
I am afraid Mr.Krishna your solution of asking the lady to invest 5000 every month, which amounts to 60000 a year at an assumed return of 20% also will not help her reach the target figure of 18 lacs. On the contrary, she will be way short of achieving her financial goal at that rate of saving. Please see the attached Excel file showing the calcuation. I have further assumed that at the end of each year the amount earned as interest is plouged back for investment next year and so on.

However, if she were to consistently set aside 25000 every month, that will be 3 lacs every year & earn consistently the assumed return of 20% on it she will be past the mark of 18 lacs at the end of 10 years.

In the attached excel file you will have to change the figure of 60000, which will be her annual saving at 5000 every month as suggested by you, to 3 lacs to get 18 lacs at the end of 10 years. However, if she is only able to save 60000 every year and yet wants to reach her target of 18 lacs then i am afraid she will have to earn a whopping 40%+ return every year on a consistent basis. In the excel sheet just type 40 in place of 20 against the Assumed return to see the result.

You have missed out the every year new inflow 60000 in your calculation

simple calcualtion when ur money is going to be doubled ( for single payment only not for series of payment and compounding )

years = 72/ interest

ex.. assume u get 12% returns/annum for your investment then it will doubled in

72/12 = 6 years

S S

Hi!

Nothing personal. But if I were the person to have asked this question, I would NOT have been satisfied with the answers appearing above. Therefore, here is my attempt to reply :

First and foremost, one needs to follow certain important guidelines, such as :

1. Above 50 years of age, one should NOT invest fresh into any of insurance policies [other than mediclaim on continued basis]

2. One should NOT invest a lumpsum amount of few lac rupees in a single one installment investment.

3. One should keep the amounts scatterd... some in Gold, some in Real Estate, some in insurance for kids [educational and others], some in bank FDs, some in savings account for sudden requirements, and most important, some in Stock markets- Directly and indirectly.

In a way, you are lucky that you have asked this question in almost a right time. Six months ago, any fresh investment would have got corroded as the markets have fallen by 40% or more in certain cases.

For direct investment, you need to study the markets yourself. Do NOT depend on others. Do NOT use any tips from anyone, including your brokers and/or friends. It is your own hard earned money, and you should invest it wisely by choosing correct stocks. This you can do in your leisure time in the evening also. What you should watch is the running strip of various scrips traded on NSE.

Take one good company from each sector. Let's say - Reliance, Infosys, SBI, TISCO, Tata Motors or Maruti or Mahinrda-Mahindra, Bujaj Hindustan or Balrampur Chini, Bharti Airtel or Reliance communications, ...... make you own list.

Markets are expected to fall a little more. My target for Nifty is around 3235-3300, but I could be wrong. I am no expert. One can watch these companies' individual stock prices and start buying in small lots when Nifty goes to say, 3400-3500 levels. Like for example, Reliance is expected to go back to 1800-1850 level or even below it once again. If you wish to buy 100 shares, buy 10 when price is 1850. If it goes below and is at 1800, buy another 10.... and continue.

Then suddenly, the market may turn upwards and Reliance may jump from 1790 to say 1900.... buy all the balance quantity because then the markets are expected to remain range bound at a level little higher than the lowest, and your average purchase price shall be lesser than the traded price. This is the consolidation period, after which the markets are expected to have an upward leap.

I could be wrong in the Nifty targets, so watch and decide for yourself. Then Just relax.

The Indirect method is through Mutual Funds. Choose different Fund houses and sectors. The "valuresearchonline dot com" site gives you all the details for various mutual funds. Choose wisely.

Again do not go for lumpsum investing. Choose SIP-Systematic Investment Plan, which every fund house offers. Till then keep the money in FDs of lesser duration.

Watch Gold. With US elections round the corner, Gold is expected to fall, even in India, inspite of the festival season. I expect it to go below 11000 again, but I could be wrong. Buy the 1 ounce or 50g gold biscuits that are for investment purposes, so that when they are required to be sold, there is no deduction, and the market rates are applicable for the weight to decide the price of the biscuit.

And whatever you do, keep a very good record of it in your computer, and also get a print-out as ready reconner. Share this info with your kids, so that they are aware, what their mother is doing for their well being.

Sorry for the delay in posting this reply. Saw this message late :(

Act wisely. Good Luck! :)
SS