Tony Crabel's Opening Range Formula

dryheat, SFO mag had an article this week over a long term backtest and it tested out decently, and respectable when they included a filter that the prior day was up or down. you may wish to use various start time filters, and i assume you have the failed signal or reversal in there - those are important. also, you mentioned fading breakouts during certain conditions, so perhaps combining the two systems will smooth the resultts. another thing you may wish to try are out of balance openings, such as gaps, and other overbought oversold daily conditions. you've put a lot of work in, so don't give up :). keep us posted.

augubhai

I am seeing some strange things in this data. For a period of 9 days from 9/25/09 through 10/8/09 the trading does not stop at 3:30 as usual and instead continues on until 4:15.
Not sure what to make of it. The impact on the results should be minimal but figured I would ask about this just in case.

Also, I think I have things dialed in but before getting to deep into this I wanted to post the initial backtest result from my first run. Please check this over to make sure it is using the correct number of contracts for a start equity of 286,500.00 INR. Also let me know if the profit/loss amounts and percentages are correct given the entry and exit points. Once I get confirmation these values are correct I will start working on the optimization.
I ran out of room to post attachments directly so here's a link to the document:
Link to backtest
Good trading.

Dry :)

I guess you are referring to the sun outage days in 2008. See this link below for details.
http://www.traderji.com/current-affairs/24208-sun-outage-today.html#post224085

augubhai

Could you also test this with the NIFTY_F1 data of the past 2 weeks, maybe from July 22?

I have no idea about AFL, but if you trade as described in the first post of this thread, then there is a serious drawdown. All days of the past 2 weeks are loss making.

Hi to all senior members .. i got a problem of Tony Crabel's Opening Range Formula ..

long Target and short target and break out value are zero

daily pivots works currectly .. i use gdata for getting one minute data.

i use speedmeta'sl perl script for getting intraday tick data

i my database have more then 13 days one minute data. please help me to
solve the problem. i attached image .

Attachments

hi guys,

what exactly are the trading rules? I add code in AFL (as a .txt file) that shows the levels I think that are discussed here. I could add buy and sell signals if I know the rules. Can anyone confirm the levels are about right? See chart also

Last edited:
ankit,
Thanks again for sending the data. There is some setup information I need to place in the information screen on Amibroker for the Nifty_F1 data you sent me. I need to know:
Round Lot Size
Margin Deposit
Tick Size
Point Value

Once I get those values I can run some backtests using the data.

I got my code reworked and it slices through the backtest and optimization process very fast now.

This enabled me to finally run an exhaustive analysis on the S&P 500 E-mini futures contract (ES), only to find the ORB's do not work consistently. In fact I found they fail to work for far greater amount of times then when they are profitable. It will likely blowout your account if you were to trade it mechanically for a period of years.

This was a pretty hard blow given all the work I've put into this. At least on ES, ORB's have been on a winning streak for most of this year. In fact, if you had traded them every single day with no filter whatsoever you would have made a massive profit for the first half of 2009.

In my longer term analysis I used 2 years worth of ES data spanning the years 2006 and 2007. I optimized using just about everything imaginable:
Varied the Average Range Min from 8 to 15 days
Varied the profit target using a multiplier from 0.5 to 1.35
Varied the Stop Amount using a multiplier from 0.25 to 1.2
Varied the BreakOut levels, by applying a multiplier from 0.7 to 1.3
I used filters such as ID, NR4, NR7, 2BarNR, 3BarNR, BullHook, BearHook.... (Including various combinations such as ID/NR4, NR4/NR7).

I even tried taking trades on days where the previous 2-3 days had no patterns whatsoever. (that actually worked from 1/1/06 through 6/30/06, and then it blew up during the rest of the in sample period)

I also tested taking trades on a specific day of the week. Found a great combo on the 1/1/06 through 6/30/06 time period. Trade the NR4 and NR7 combo only on Mondays. Worked great until I expanded it to the rest of my in-sample period.

So, while the ORB trades on ES are presently hitting very well, there is no telling when they stop working again. And how is one to know? How do you tell the difference between a short string of losing trades and the end of the run???

Over the previous 12 months I have coded and tested dozens of different trading methodologies and none have proved to work in the long term. It seems to me the only reliable tool to use is the human mind. One that is highly trained and experienced in the market, that knows instinctively when to switch tactics. Anyone know where I can get one of those? My search for a purely mechanical trading system, one which performs consistently over the long term has so far met with no result.

Once I receive the setup data required to test the ORBs on the Nifty futures data I will run it through the same vigorous analysis and let you know my results. But in my opinion, one years worth of data is not enough to prove that the ORBs are here to stay.

Good trading everyone

Dry :)
Dry, first of all I'd like to thank you for sharing such a great piece of code with us, great work!

I was trying to use the STATS exploraration in your code and I've noticed that the information comes in 1 minute intervals... I was wondering if there's a way to have the same exploration but just showing entries and exits for the day... basically trying to do some stats for Win% ( backtesting )...

also, have you made any backtesting AFL public? if so, could you please share it? Thanks in advance.