Tata Indicom - Rs. 2,000/- static IP charge

Reggie

I am using Tata Indicom broadband 512 kbps plan which has a monthly tarrif of Rs. 661/-

Today I received a mailer stating 'Broadband ipv4 is a scarce resorce, and tarrif is increased by Rs. 2,000/- p.a w.e.f 15th Jun. if you are using static I.P to access broadband, this charge will apply.'

Not sure what this charge is about, nor what is static I.P?

Also, I am using this connection since over a year and have at times occassional problems which are promptly resolved. So over all no issues. However, as am on the subject would like to know from forum members especially from Mumbai what service provider they are using and share their experience.

Thanks for any response.

Reggie

Thanks for your input.

Will follow up with Tata Indicom as to what this is about.

Would appreciate any feedback from forum members especially in Mumbai of their experiences with other internet access providers.

Reggie,
Until you plan on hosting a website or remotely controlling your comp. you really don't need a static IP

Sunny1

Thanks for your input.

Will follow up with Tata Indicom as to what this is about.

Would appreciate any feedback from forum members especially in Mumbai of their experiences with other internet access providers.
Static IP is fixed IP allotted for connection (who opted for it) . Use full for hosting website or remote operation. Typically it comes with extra fee.

Usually casual user are given dynamic IP. for 661 pm...you are unlikely will be given static IP.

So whoever opted for static IP will have to pay 2k pa. as per notice you have got.

Dont worry it will not affect you.

Reggie

Thanks Sunny for the clarification. I also called up Tata Indicom and they too clarified that this charge is not applicable to me and the mailer sent was to all customers of Tata Indicom. Somebody took a shortcut and did'nt bother to check which all customer the mailer applied.

Static IP is fixed IP allotted for connection (who opted for it) . Use full for hosting website or remote operation. Typically it comes with extra fee.

Usually casual user are given dynamic IP. for 661 pm...you are unlikely will be given static IP.

So whoever opted for static IP will have to pay 2k pa. as per notice you have got.

Dont worry it will not affect you.