So from where should I start ?

well I have 1 lakh spare in my bank which I am not using and feels can invest in the market. I have zero knowledge about stock trading and people told me to invest in SIP.

Now I have some questions -
1. what kind of monthly return can I expect from them ?
2. Is there any locking period on them ?
3. are SIP the best option for me or is there other better way too ?

Ideally I am looking to learn something about stocks and investing other then making some money from this 1 lakh cash.

Any advices ? :)

Nice forum btw

rohangawale

Welcome to Traderji,
Here you will find a lot of learning stuff.
for beginners u can read saints teach a man to fish....... thread.
you will get basics.
dont enter with real money unless ur comfortable.
do paper trade. read some basic material. and then trade.
Trading is not very easy business. so follow rules, discipline and u will succeed.

Welcome to Traderji,
Here you will find a lot of learning stuff.
for beginners u can read saints teach a man to fish....... thread.
you will get basics.
dont enter with real money unless ur comfortable.
do paper trade. read some basic material. and then trade.
Trading is not very easy business. so follow rules, discipline and u will succeed.
Thanks Rohan, well I am honestly not looking for trading stocks as there is risk in losing money, but I am looking to invest money as its just lying around. I can start with 50k and can invest it somewhere, you have any suggestion where ? so I get decent return with minimum risk

Regards

NOMINDTR

Thanks Rohan, well I am honestly not looking for trading stocks as there is risk in losing money, but I am looking to invest money as its just lying around. I can start with 50k and can invest it somewhere, you have any suggestion where ? so I get decent return with minimum risk

Regards
Investment is a habit wheres trading is/should not. There is no investment capital wheres we have trading capital.

Investment is a habit wheres trading is/should not. There is no investment capital wheres we have trading capital.
I had used the word invesstment fairly losely here salvadi, ok I have money for trading only, now tell me what can I do with it, given I have no knowledge and I am looking for minimum risks ? :)

AW10

Hawkeye (liked your id- that's exactly what u need in the market). here are my suggestions

Spend time in identifying your requirements
1) Decide on what type of trader you are - day trader, swing trader, position trader, investor (plz google and find more about them)
2) What is the average time of your trade will be i.e. how long your trade will remain open ? This will help you decide on which chart timeframe you shd be looking at.
Most of the traders are confused about it. They keep jumping from one mode to another, one timeframe to another,..without really knowing what they are doing
3) Spend time in drawing your strategies to survive in the market - i.e. how much money u are going to risk on each trade / how big will be each trade/ etc.
4) Find out proper trading system that meets your requirement of above points..
5) Read about "mistakes novice traders make " so that u don't repeat them
6) Read about trading psychology / successful traders and do what successful traders do

Ofcourse, this will require you to read /learn/ doubt/ ask question etc.. But that is worth it. Otherwise, u will jump in the mkt, have few wins and more loosing trades, keep throwing
yr capital in the market and one fine day u will realise that you are doing something wrong.

Even if you are buy-and-hold investor.. spending time on above will put u far ahead of all other buy-and-hold investor there (including 90% of loosing mutual funds out there)

Only one person that can make of break your trading result and that is YOU ..

Trading is a profession.. (like engg, computers, CA, medicine etc).. and all professional spend sufficient time in learning the profession first and then they think about returns.

Happy Trading.

NOMINDTR

I had used the word invesstment fairly losely here salvadi, ok I have money for trading only, now tell me what can I do with it, given I have no knowledge and I am looking for minimum risks ? :)
There is no specific trade which is of minimum risk. Trading with minimum risk is a habit, as a matter of fact.

I suggest you to spend time in learning trading. Learn Technical Analysis, money management and managing your psychology.

Trading is a profession and there can be only one rational reason for trading is making money, as Dr.Elder says.

Welcome to the world of trading and you will understand things little by little while you learn.

Happy Learning

Last edited:
Hawkeye, you should learn the basics of the market and trading. Trading without proper knowledge can reduce your capital to a fraction of the original amount. There are some members here who have lost quite a large sum.
Read Saint's excellent post that has been turned into a sticky here.
There are several excellent sites that explain the basics. Try these for starters
http://www.fool.com
http://www.investopedia.com

Best of all, ask questions here. Traderji's expert members will answer questions no matter how silly they sound.

NOMINDTR

Best of all, ask questions here. Traderji's expert members will answer questions no matter how silly they sound.

There could not be a silly question; only silly reasons to ask. :)