SH's 315 Strategy - how to use if effectively

Hi all,

Nifty finally gave a buy signal before closing as per 315 and I am long now.

This is an excellent example to show how a 'effective' exit at 3930 and delaying 'Add' until previous days lows are breached can help in protecting capital.

DLF, SAIL and Aban moved nicely today. The rest of the scrips which are bullish now are ICICI, Unitech, Axis Bank & JP Associate.

RIL, RCOM, IFCI and Relinfra are still bearish.

Cheers
SH

bandlab2

Hi all,

Nifty finally gave a buy signal before closing as per 315 and I am long now.

This is an excellent example to show how a 'effective' exit at 3930 and delaying 'Add' until previous days lows are breached can help in protecting capital.

DLF, SAIL and Aban moved nicely today. The rest of the scrips which are bullish now are ICICI, Unitech, Axis Bank & JP Associate.

RIL, RCOM, IFCI and Relinfra are still bearish.

Cheers
SH
Hi Tradewithhunter,

can you post the loss/profit of each trade as it closes? this helps us to understan the system bette

after exit at 3930, did we enter again on bar touching 3 EMA. I am not talking about ADD.

all those stocks, you are trading ? watching? which one is good ? with less whips

nifty

Hi Tradewithhunter,

can you post the loss/profit of each trade as it closes? this helps us to understan the system bette

after exit at 3930, did we enter again on bar touching 3 EMA. I am not talking about ADD.

all those stocks, you are trading ? watching? which one is good ? with less whips
Yes we will appreciate if post entry and exist levels for nifty you have traded using 315.

Happy Trading.

Hi Friends,

I will start sharing the P&L etc once I complete my entire description of certain rules to make it more effective.

We have talked about the basics & 'effective adds'. The second bit i want to explain under 'protecting capital' is 'effective SLs'.

Learning to use effective SLs is the simplest yet the most powerful piece in 'Protecting Capital'.

The way I use my SLs under this strategy is that once my initial position has moved in more than 100 points profit, I use my entry point as my SL.

Though this sounds very naive to do that but it serves two very important functions:

1. First of all it avoids whipsaws. Ideally, in a good trade, when we make an entry based on 315, I would expect our ADD to happen once my initial position is in good profit. This means that after the initial entry, the market has trended in the direction of our position, corrected to touch 15 EMA and gave us an 'ADD' without touching our initial entry point. THIS IS A STRONG SIGN OF A TRENDING MARKET HENCE MAKES OUR TRADE MORE POWERFUL.

2. It also means that we dont let a winning position become a losing one, a basic fundamental of a successful swing trader.

Please remember : If our initial entry point (or SL) is hit, we enter again based on 'effective ADD' rules i.e previous day highs/lows breached and 3 EMA still in favour. This might mean we end up shorting below our earlier entry point but thats fine.

Please take the current example now, I shorted at 4190, booked at 3930, re-entered shorts at 4040. Now when 4190 was hit again on 15/07/2009 I exited my shorts and waitied for a 'ADD' signal to get generated. 315 stayed bearish even when markets went upto 4236 close on 15/07 & 16/7 (hence no longs) but it didnt generate any 'ADD short' signal by breaching previous days lows.

Hence I couldnt short again once my 4190 SL was hit. so basically made 110 points in short on one lot.

And then on 17th July closing at around 4392 when the 315 bullish signal was confirmed I entered fresh longs. Market has closed at 4510 today however till day end 3 EMA was not touched hence i booked profits at 4508 levels. I am waiting for 3 EMA to be touched again to jump into longs again with SL 4392 (my initial entry point since it has swung up more than 100 points now).

I have now explained all my rules making 315 more effective, please use them as per your money management rules and hopefully you all will make money. to summarise the rules:

1. Build up on winning positions gradually by following 'ADD' rules.
2. Exit on candles where 3 EMA is not touching the candle body using 'effective profit booking' rule.
3. Never let a winning position become a losing one... use 'effective SL' rule.

Cheers
SH

Hello

I am still trying to learn to code. However, I would like to backtest this strategy in different timeframes and on different scrips and learn more about it.

Has someone posted an AFL of this strategy that can be used for this purpose? If not, can someone please post the same?

Sanjay.

Hi Tradewithhunter,

Hi bandlab,

Hope my previous post has answered your questions. I have written a lot in this thread now, please can i now request someone to carry this forward by posting trades based on EOD 315 in Nifty and their P&L results under this thread... I will be watching for any queries, watching the trades and clarifying if something is done incorrectly against the rules. This will help all to understand the system.

For stocks, I prefer DLF, Reliance & ICICI Bank. Someone can start tracking these stocks here as well based on 315.

For starters, NF Trade 1 closed with 1 lot x 110 points profit = total 110 points plus.

NF Trade 2 exited with 1 lot 116 points = total 116 points plus. Now waiting to get back into longs with 3 EMA touch.

Cheers
SH

bandlab2

Thanks SH for the rules.

Pl see this chart.

entered short on close of bar 2

next day, at some point it was in profit and at some point it touched prev close which is SL. So shall we stop here? or wait for another day? how do we define, 'once we are in profit'? is it on EOD basis or intraday? if its EOD we might make a bigger hole in the pocket. If its intraday, then we might be stopping out unnecessarily, market may reverse. for every trade, we will be touching entry point even same day or next day. so what should be done?

ok, assuming we give it another day. then we would have stopped out at bar 5.

Last edited:

bandlab2

Thanks SH for the rules.

Pl see this chart.

entered short on close of bar 2

next day, at some point it was in profit and at some point it touched prev close which is SL. So shall we stop here? or wait for another day? how do we define, 'once we are in profit'? is it on EOD basis or intraday? if its EOD we might make a bigger hole in the pocket. If its intraday, then we might be stopping out unnecessarily, market may reverse. for every trade, we will be touching entry point even same day or next day. so what should be done?

ok, assuming we give it another day. then we would have stopped out at bar 5. if we had not followed this SL, then we ould have made a loss at close of bar 14. there was no chance to exit in between

is this correct?