SHORT CALENDAR SPREAD : target - 10 to 20% Return On Investment

linkon7

bought 3400 CE at 86

linkon7

SL at 87 got triggered...

linkon7

options can be best traded with tick charts.... only problem is R-trade. really dont know when they'll log me off... otherwise, it can be traded almost like nifty futures....

linkon7

placed a buy at 168 for may...if it gets triggered... i wont carry any position for the weekend. this strategy is good.... need to work out the finer details... will initiate again on tuesday...

linkon7

covered it at 171.... too volatile.... too risky....

linkon7

profit made 10,000.
could have easily gone the other way. really need to work out on how to best play this....

linkon7

You are champ anyways.....in this volatile day you made gud sum.......
yaa... by fluke.... i chickened out b'cos may 3400 call was all over the place. the bid prices fluctuate as much as 5 to 10 points. :annoyed: really had no idea what to do or how to play this one....

Hi,

did you try this stratergy other way round, i mean buying far month option and selling closer month with closing the position near the closer month expiry and intitiate trade for ATM calls and puts both.

I'll explain with example :- nifty april series first monday let say nifty at 3000

selling april 3000 CE buying may 3000 PE

selling april 3000 PE buying may 3000 PE

or may be doing only one depending where you think nifty is heading and closing the position by april expiry ( i mean on that day or that week).

Looking for your suggestions.

Thanks,
Harmeet

linkon7

Hi,

did you try this stratergy other way round, i mean buying far month option and selling closer month with closing the position near the closer month expiry and intitiate trade for ATM calls and puts both.

I'll explain with example :- nifty april series first monday let say nifty at 3000

selling april 3000 CE buying may 3000 PE

selling april 3000 PE buying may 3000 PE

or may be doing only one depending where you think nifty is heading and closing the position by april expiry ( i mean on that day or that week).

Looking for your suggestions.

Thanks,
Harmeet
There is never a perfect way of playing a strategy. should i buy or sell the next month's ATM option and buy / sell the current months ATM, depends on the three scenario,

Scene 1 : market rallies further

next months ATM would gain more rapidly then current month's ATM, since time decay would be more effective on current month.
i can expect a better return here if i buy ATM of the next month and sell the ATM of current month....

scene 2 : markets falls
next months ATM would loose value very quickly as most bears / bulls would like to play covered puts or covered calls and effectively creating more selling pressure.

scene 3 : markets takes a breather stays plus minus 50 points around the ATM level.

next moths ATM would loose value far more rapidly than current months ATM again thanks to time decay.

under scene 2 & 3, selling ATM next month makes more sense.

but, the volume traded in the next month's options is very low and the ask / bid prices fluctuates too wildly. there are big gaps in prices and you wont be able to exit profitably unless luck plays a hand and Luck never supports a trader