Point and figure chart analysis...!

rkkarnani

Many times PnF had been started on Traderji and left as it seems fewer people were interested. After Dan its Linkon. Hope to lern something. Would go through the basics on the Net to easily understand what is written.
Have this Code for Metastock in my Archievs...copied from Metastock Zone:

Point & Figure Indicator by Adam Hefner

ˇ To: "Metastock" <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ˇ Subject: P&F Indicator
ˇ From: "Von Hef" <VonHef@xxxxxxxxxx>
ˇ Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 20:32:16 -0600
ˇ Reply-To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
ˇ Sender: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I know its long....but its the best I can do.
The following indicator will plot the high of the "x" column and the low of the "o" column in a stairstep manner on a barchart. If the high value changes then the low should hold its value until there is a "P&F" reversal, then as the low changes the high should hold. The first two lines are the Box and Reversal values, and I wasn't sure what the best "Input" values should be so please feel free to suggest any changes. My goal is to design a system around this indicator, to test different Point and Reversal amounts, but its nice to examine the P&F support and resistance levels on a bar chart. Also, I am not as experienced as many on this list nor am I above making errors, so test the value of this indicator for yourself.

Here is an update to the P&F Indicator, that corrects a plotting error I found on 1 chart.

Point & Figure Indicator

{ by Adam Hefner }
{Note: this will plot the high of the"x" and low of the "o" on a barchart}

{box value}
BS1:=Input("Box Size ?",.1,100,1);
{reversal amount}
RS1:=Input("Reversal Amount ?",1,10,3)*BS1;
{box high calculation}
BH1:=(Int(H/BS1))*BS1;
{box low calculation}
BL1:=If(((Int(L/BS1))*BS1)=L,
{then}L,
{else}((Int(L/BS1))*BS1)+BS1);
{reversal calculation}
DH1:=If((BL1>=Ref(BL1,-1))AND
((BH1-RS1)>=Ref(BL1,-1)),
{then}1,
{else}0);
DL1:=If((BH1<=Ref(BH1,-1))AND
((BL1+RS1)<=Ref(BH1,-1)),
{then}1,
{else}0);
{Determine market direction}
{NOTE: The value of D1=
1="trend up"
-1="trend down"}
D1:=If(DH1=1 AND DL1=1,
{then}If(BarsSince(Ref(DH1=1,-1))=
BarsSince(Ref(DL1=1,-1)),
{then}If(BarsSince(
ValueWhen(3,DH1=1,DH1))<
BarsSince(
ValueWhen(3,DL1=1,DL1)),
{then}-1,
{else}1),
{else}If(BarsSince(Ref(DH1=1,-1))<
BarsSince(Ref(DL1=1,-1)),
{then}1,
{else}-1)),
{else}If(BarsSince(DH1=1)<BarsSince(DL1=1),
{then}-1,
{else}1));
{time since market reversed}
DH:=BarsSince(D1=1);
DL:=BarsSince(D1=-1);
{ plot high and low }
PH1:=HighestSince(1,DH=1,BH1);
PL1:=LowestSince(1,DL=1,BL1);
PH2:=ValueWhen(1,DH>0,PH1);
PL2:=ValueWhen(1,DL>0,PL1);
PH2;
PL2;

praveen taneja

Bhai ye hi panga hai jo bhi koi kuchh tazurba karta hai NF pe hi are koi Stocks mein kyon panga nahin leta ????????????????

chalo fir bhi all the best like always hope its a not a big deal for you God bless us all:thumb:

linkon7

Many times PnF had been started on Traderji and left as it seems fewer people were interested. After Dan its Linkon. Hope to lern something. Would go through the basics on the Net to easily understand what is written.
Maybe people wanted more information than pnf is capable to provide. Its no magic indicator and most people search for buy - sell arrows from their chart. People like to know rules so that its easier to follow and making it objective will ensure better discipline. It has never worked that way and it never will....

It was there in my archive before but really never gave it much thought. It was only after dan posted his chat of gold with pnf highlighting the strength of a resistance level that got my attention. I watched it live for a week and found it amazing. It fits my style of trading and added value.

Seriously don't know how many will find it interesting and honestly it doesn't matter. Only person who can affect my own trading is me myself. If some people benefit from this, then its great, otherwise no harm done.

Worst case scenario, i'll know one more thing that doesnt work for me...!

linkon7

Bhai ye hi panga hai jo bhi koi kuchh tazurba karta hai NF pe hi are koi Stocks mein kyon panga nahin leta ????????????????

chalo fir bhi all the best like always hope its a not a big deal for you God bless us all:thumb:
PT Bhai, stocks mere bas ki baat nahi hai....! Nf ek lauta girlfriend hai mera and ek hi kafi hai....!

linkon7

Intra day chart of nifty on july 1st

Previous day's chart :

image upload

I can see that the low of the swing high that broke previous high is at 5616. That lvl is marked as A. This lvl need to break for further down side. What followed was a series of complex correction and as 5616 remains intact and so up trend is intact.

The low that takes out previous high of 5658, is marked as B and this 5642 is the new ref level for us. The level to break for further down side.

High of the day remains at 5666.

linkon7

gif upload

Friday started with a high at 5700... and saw heavy supply.

Price found buyers at 5676

At 9.20 :
first X printed was at 5680, which was buy for me since established trend is north. I got my retracement and got my entry at 5680. stop loss at 5674 since thats when I can expect supply to over come demand. If trend remains up, 5674 should not hit.

equivalent 1 min chart :

gif upload

Last edited:

linkon7

png upload

image uploading

9.51 Short at 5678... sl at 5684

5682 provided sufficient supply, 5684 can act as a reversal to long as well.
retest of demand at 5666 can be possible. 6 point risk for a 12 point target. good enough.

linkon7

png upload

upload pngpng

10.15 : Exit 50% at 5668 sl shifted to 5678, (swing high, 5676, + 2 point filter that lead to new range extension.

5666 tested and broken. Looks like a retest of 5642 is on the cards. If demand picks up near 5666 then 5682 needs to be broken for further upside. Better exit 50% and wait and see for tgt of 5642.

Last edited: