Options Basics

tvrssvk

I would like to learn the strategy stated by AW10 as follows:

What are Spreads ?Spreads are Limited Risk / Limited Reward strategies. They can be constructed using either PUT or CALL options.
They are directional strategy - Bullish or Bearish
It involves 2 options trades - Buying Option at 1 strike and at the same time selling another option at different strike price.
(note if you are shocked that it involves selling option and I am newbee. Everybody tells that stay away from selling options.. Then you got to read further. Soon u will start seeing the advantage of
spreads over naked long strategy)
Cost of the trade = Difference of premium that u pay for buying first leg minus the premium u collect for selling other leg.
Maximum Risk = LIMITED. Cost of trade that is calculated above. (Isn't it less risky then buying naked call where whole of your premium is at risk)
Maximum Reward = LIMITED. Difference of the two strike prices minus the money that u have paid to open this trade i.e. cost of trade. (Naked option buying, theoretically, has Unlimited reward..but in reality
there is nothing called Unlimited. There is a limit to which stock can rise during the life of the option. Similarly it can't go below Zero. That means it has some limit. )
Break-even point - price level of underlying that must be reached for this trade to be profitable for us. Below that price level, we are in loss because we have paid money to market to take this trade.
This level is = strike price of long leg - Cost of trade (for bearish trade) or Strike price of long leg +cost of trade (for bullish trade)
Effect of time decay = Almost Nil.. When Long leg of your strategy is loosing value due to time decay, the Short leg is gaining approximately same advantage of time decay.
(Another advantage over Naked call strategy, where time decay hurts u everyday)
Effect of Volatility = Almost Nil ..During volatile time when u pay more to buy an option, but at the same time when u are selling other options, and collecting more money for same volatility.
Effect of price movement of NIFTY - Any move of NIFTY will have +ive impact on one leg of this position whereas other leg will be -ive impacted. This impact will not be same on both legs depending on
at what level NIFTY is compared to our strike price of 3900/ 4000..

tvrssvk

Would like to concentrate on only this strategy under the guidance of AW10/Seniors........

However, would like to inform all that I am very much new to option with no knowledge of the subject and learning from very basics ...ABC

I would like to inform AW10/Seniors to pitch in to help as and when time permits since the thread might be really slow moving.....

tvrssvk

First we need to analyse the direction of the market

Bullish
Bearish

We will take the help of the seniors in analysing the direction of the market as we move.....

Next option trading has:

Buy Call option
Sell Call option

Buy Put option
Sell Put option

and option trading would be the mixture of all these......however, we will learn all the four individually with the help of Seniors....

I request AW10/Seniors to pitch in and explain Buy call option as simple as possible.......

tvrssvk

Buy Call Option:

Let us assume for an example that trend is bullish

Present value of nifty----5282 as on 26/03
assumption----nifty would move to 5400
expiry date----29/04
Premium----54.55

So I pay 54.55 and buy 1 nifty call option @ strike price 5400 april expiry

Seniors/AW10 help me in the breakeven and different outcomes of this example

I guess I have messed up in my understanding....

prasham

Buy Call Option:

Let us assume for an example that trend is bullish
IMO this is the most important thing. Before you start studying various strategies about Option Trading I suggest you checkout how to predict short term trend so that you would have minimum losses. Even best of strategies tend to fail when you are trying to swim against the current.

And btw I am also a novice learner who have done only a few paper trades in option trading but from what I've learned so far is that the best way is to earn profit is to swim with current. Hence first learn basics of TA.

Dont assume anything when u trade in FnO. Dont take postitions in a hurry,
the next week is very crucial for Nifty. We need to watch how Nifty deals with the 5300 barrier. U could buy a straddle at 5300 (buy 5300CE and 5300PE )if u r in a hurry on Monday. Since IVs have been low for quite some time, it could only increase from hereon.

prasham

Dont assume anything when u trade in FnO. Dont take postitions in a hurry,
the next week is very crucial for Nifty. We need to watch how Nifty deals with the 5300 barrier. U could buy a straddle at 5300 (buy 5300CE and 5300PE )if u r in a hurry on Monday. Since IVs have been low for quite some time, it could only increase from hereon.
Total premium to be paid for 5300 call & put is 207 x 50 = 10350
Misc. Charges = 150

Total charges paid = 10,500.

At what level would one have break even in this trade? Is that kind of move anticipated?

tvrssvk

the assumptions are all for learning purpose.........paper trading.....will not trade live......

I agree analysing the market direction is important. Will try to figure this out via support and resistance as I progress. Selecting AW10's low risk option strategy wherein the risk is minimum as well as the reward is minimum.

Morover can learn as I move following the strategy, just for learning pupose...paper trading only. Am not trading live......

AW10

First we need to analyse the direction of the market

Bullish
Bearish

We will take the help of the seniors in analysing the direction of the market as we move.....

Next option trading has:

Buy Call option
Sell Call option

Buy Put option
Sell Put option

and option trading would be the mixture of all these......however, we will learn all the four individually with the help of Seniors....

I request AW10/Seniors to pitch in and explain Buy call option as simple as possible.......
tvrssvk ,
For beginners, I would not recommend to use Buy CALL / Buy PUT strategy to trade cause right from beginning there are 66% chance that u will lose money.
For these positions to work, Market has to move in your direction. But if market goes sideway, or in opposite direction, you are going to loose. That is 2 out of 3 conditions, you are going to loose.

That is my view from trading perspective. But if you intention is to build the foundation of options trading, understanding them is must.
Please refer to the post on trade planning my thread - "low risk strategy..." and plan the trade correctly and post the plan here.
I will try to come back here and share my views..

Hope that is OK.
Happy Learning