nifty straddle : Target :- the whole premium....!

what'll be the profit / loss i'll make by this strategy on 30th April ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Based on the closing as on Friday 27th' March i had planned to do the following :

sell 2 lots of 3100 call april at 145
and
sell 2 lots of 3100 put april at 117

total premium collected = 262

our lower break even point is 2838
and
our upper break even point is 3362

strategy :
buy 2 lot of nifty futures above 3100 and keep it till nifty falls below 3100, where i intend to reverse my position. i.e. I hold on to 2 lots of nifty long above 3100 and 2 lots of nifty shorts below 3100.

whichever direction nifty closes above or below 3100 till the expiry.... i get to keep the net premium collected.

total investment :
1,25,000 /- assuming 16% margin is charged the broker for holding nifty positions

target profit : 26,000 /-

time frame : till end of expiry of April series.

how it works :
on expiry above 3100, the profit i make by going long on nifty will be nullified by the loss i make on selling the 3100 call.
on expiry below 3100, the profit i make on going short on nifty will be nullified by the loss i make on selling the 3100 put.

Shortcomings of this strategy :
1. if the nifty becomes directionless at 3100 and continues to trade plus minus 20 or 30 points pivoting 3100.

then,
we just let the premium decay and watch out for a break down or break out.... above or below 3100.

2. if there is a massive gap down or gap up around 3100.

then we have to cut some amount of net targeted profit we intend to collect. and continue to hold nifty position in the desired direction.

3. worst case scenario : nifty gaps down or up 200 points from above 3100 to below 3100
then,
we order a pizza and curse the dilevery boy for our misfortunes. :

happy trading...
linkon7
I just came across this post.
Blaming the Pizzza boy for the misfortune of 26K is too much to handle for the poor delivery guy.. I guess, a lot many pizza delivery guys would had taken the beatings... due to the Nfty crash last week... below 4900 mark :)

On the serious note.... is it worth taking that kinda risk... or rather have a limited gain... with limited risk... by creating spreads. or sumthing..???

A learning trader..

linkon7

I just came across this post.
Blaming the Pizzza boy for the misfortune of 26K is too much to handle for the poor delivery guy.. I guess, a lot many pizza delivery guys would had taken the beatings... due to the Nfty crash last week... below 4900 mark :)

On the serious note.... is it worth taking that kinda risk... or rather have a limited gain... with limited risk... by creating spreads. or sumthing..???

A learning trader..
Misfortune of 26K..?:confused:

A learning trader has to read the thread and assimilate the information before forming an opinion....:lol: