Naked Puts and Covered Calls

AW10

Writing a put is nothing but "selling a put" your loss is profit limited to the premium you receive and profits are unlimited, provided you do not have spreads.
Gsalvadi, part of your post is bit confusing. If I am not wrong then you meant to write,
"your profit is limited to the premium you receive and LOSSES are unlimited".

Correct my post, if I am passing the wrong message.

Ofcourse, option writer can limit their losses by creating a spread.

Happy Trading

NOMINDTR

Gsalvadi, part of your post is bit confusing. If I am not wrong then you meant to write,
"your profit is limited to the premium you receive and LOSSES are unlimited".

Correct my post, if I am passing the wrong message.

Ofcourse, option writer can limit their losses by creating a spread.

Happy Trading
Thanks friend,
I have edited and I will take care of typo errors from this point :)

NOMINDTR

sorry ...my mistake
all I wanted to ask is if i write a put , will I not be having the freedom to COVER at any time i want ..
In contrary to my friend AW10, buying a put back, I would call it as hedging instead of calling it a "Cover". May be I am wrong.

Arvind, writing a put is nothing but entering into a contract that you promise to sell a scrip or underlying for the strike price on expiry date.

You can never "cover" your promise. it is your obligation as AW10 said. Instead, you can get promise from somebody else by buying a put. If you think you can make your own put option which you wrote could be squared off, it is wrong.

NOMINDTR

Say if you buy NIFTY futures, you have position in the market. A Long position.
buy selling futures, you can cover or square-off your long position, that is you unwind you long position. This means after covering, you have no open position.

If you write a put or call option, you enter into a contract with the buyer. You can not take your promise back. So technically there is no way you can cover or square-off your position.

But, buying a put (if you wrote a put) you get offsetting position in market. Your unlimited loss would be limited by the put you bought. You can consider this hedging or spread according to your logic and strike rates.

Whatever the profit or loss you get, one who write an option can not unwind the position as in case of futures. The options you write remains in force and somebody is going to exercise on expiry. To safeguard your position, you can buy a put so that you can exercise it.

In any sense, there is no unwinding of position happens to an option writer only an option buyer who sells it can unwind his or her position.

Hope I am clear now.

Thanks

Capricorn

With out adding to the confusion , if you have written a put you can square off your position by buying the same contract back at any time. you will have no open position or obligation to anyone.

NOMINDTR

thanks gsalvadi .
an example would be of much help to me.
I wrote 3300 ce @3.6 ...now if i leave it untouched till expiry what will happen.
By writing the option at 3.60 you get 3.60 X Lotsize. This is your profit.

You have to leave it untouched because, you can not touch it :p

The option buyer can leave it untouched. You said CE, it means call option European type. European type options are options that can not be exercised before expiry.

Though the option you wrote changes hands, it would automatically exercised at the time of expiry.

On expiry, in case of a call option, your obligation is to pay the buyer (3300-Spot Close on expiry) * Lot Size, if the spot is close at 3500 then you are obliged to pay (3500-3300)* 50 (lot size) = 1,00,000/-

In case of put option you need not pay anything as the Spot closed above the strike rate.

Say one is bullish, he writes put options or buy call options
If one is bearish, he writes call options or buy put options

So both bulls and bears can write / buy options at appropriate strike prices as per their prediction.

Option gives option to the buyer not to the writer
What is that option the buyer gets?

If a bull buys a call option, strike 3300 Nifty on expiry, if Nifty closes above 3300, he gets the difference multiplied by lot size as his profit.

If a bear buys a put option, strike 3300 Nifty on expiry, if Nifty closes below 3300, he gets the difference multiplied by lot size as his profit.

In both cases, the buyer's loss is limited to the premium he paid.

For the writer, the profit is the premium he receives on writing an option and potential loss is based of Spot close and could be any sum.

So, it is not advisable to write naked options. If you write, you have to buy options that would offset your loss. That is what people here say a "covering"

An option survives till the expiry. Why we call one an option writer instead of option seller. Because, an option writer is one who initiates the option. If the buyer of the option who bought the option @ 3.60 may decide to sell it for 5.40, a higher premium. In this case this person is a seller.

Options are used for hedging and speculation.

Hedging: If you have bought some equities and you fear your portfolio value may go down if the market goes down. So you buy put options.
If the market closes below your strike price, you get profit from options which would compensate the loss in your portfolio.

Speculation: If you are bullish, buy calls or write puts, if you are bearish buy puts and write calls

Simple example of Bull Spread: Buy a call and write another call at different strike prices. Buy a call with strike price below the current index level. Write a call with a strike price above the current index level. This bull spread limits both upside profit and downside risk.

Try yourself working out a Bear Spread

I hope this would help.

Never understand options with some simple, arbitrary logic. Complex spreads could boil ones head. And naked options are not safe.

NOMINDTR

With out adding to the confusion , if you have written a put you can square off your position by buying the same contract back at any time. you will have no open position or obligation to anyone.
That's true friend. If one buys and sells at same strikes. IMO a good understanding would help one to play smart with options.

Happy Trading

NOMINDTR

gsalvadi
thanks a ton .though I normally deal with futures ,it is only at end days of expiry i write options for a few easy bucks:D
Then consider hedging your futures by options, if you have overnight positions.
In this case an option can serve as an insurance at nominal price :)

Happy Trading