my last thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilman5

Raunak bro Want to share a problem that dont know why I feel sometime mkt is going to correct and then I take no time in exiting all my portfolio either in profit or Loss want to get rid of this habit ?? all saying High coming and me thinking 5555 what to do IF it start falling mind again say buy or it can bounce from here and I buy around 5900 Really in aterrible mind frame

PT Bro,

Everyone feels the same. In the end, I will only tell you to trust your own instincts and your view. You'll always be more comfortable with that. For example, I think markets are robust and hence I am buying. No matter who says what, I will do what my analysis asks me to do. In the end, if I am wrong, I am wrong and I am ready to bear the consequences.

Markets know no one, no matter who that person is. And if someone thinks that markets know this and that particular analyst, they are so wrong. If ever I go broke, I want to do it with my analysis and not from anyone else's opinion. You are an experienced investor and hence trust yourself. There is no one out there who is more brighter than you and hence you are right in your opinion. Stick to it, execute it and live with it. This is the attitude that I adopt while Trading.

Remember, life is a lot like chess, accept that after check mate, it still continues to move forward.
Okay, suppose that a swing trader may take 1% risk on each trade. What should be the initial target to book profit? 1%, 2-5%, 6-10% or 10-15% or more??
I understand that exit points can be trailed as per the price movement on the chart. However, what should be the mental objective for a swing trader?

Itsmemad,

Profits in between 4-6% with a risk of 1% should be extremely good. Basically your target should be a 5% move. .
Everything is paper profit now. Hence why to worry. If profits have to go, they'll go. I have taken these stocks from trend kind of perspective. Lets say a 10-15% kind of move. As of now, let it run. This is what I am doing. You need to see your risk profile and decide accordingly. I cant make these decisions for you dear.

Unfortunately I don't pay too much attention to patterns and waves. My strength is in identifying price structure. Hence I trade based on that. But thanks for informing about a probable H&S. Its always good to weigh all the probabilities.

don't know what others were saying. I had mentioned at 6300 that I expect markets to go to 5700 at the max. From there on, we would move ahead. Till now this opinion holds good. Who knows what levels lurk within the system. 5900,5800,5700 or Xxxx is anybody's guess. We can trade on our analysis and that's what I do. I was bullish and have been repeatedly saying so. Hence I was buying. If markets indeed have to go to 5400, we'll be out of our long positions much before it causes some serious damage to the portfolio.

In a nutshell, have a opinion and stick to it. Don't be bothered about who says what.
................You are very much correct........ that was not the right way to do it.

I was very much sure when you said it....... because it is Raunak Sir who is saying something. So what I did is.... I started checking with my last two years trades to find out any mistakes (It took more than 10 days for me to do that). Interestingly I found, even though I have made profit in my trades.... most of the time it was with hedging. And I also found that more than 75 percent of time I entered in trades or averaged was on a wrong time and price. I could have done it in a better way with the help of simple trend lines and retrace levels.

Yes ........ average is possible even on down trend but only if the script shows some strength on some support levels. simply working on percentage levels is foolishness.

I was holding SBIN and my average price was some where around 3108 levels. According to my old strategy I would have been holding it even now. But Now I have exited from it at at 3160 levels and will be entering it at 2875-80 levels.......(See chart). In the same way I have exited from Balramchini also.

Thank You Raunak Sir, for opening my eyes.

oilman5

Raunak bro Want to share a problem that dont know why I feel sometime mkt is going to correct and then I take no time in exiting all my portfolio either in profit or Loss want to get rid of this habit ?? all saying High coming and me thinking 5555 what to do IF it start falling mind again say buy or it can bounce from here and I buy around 5900 Really in aterrible mind frame

PT Bro,

Everyone feels the same. In the end, I will only tell you to trust your own instincts and your view. You'll always be more comfortable with that. For example, I think markets are robust and hence I am buying. No matter who says what, I will do what my analysis asks me to do. In the end, if I am wrong, I am wrong and I am ready to bear the consequences.

Markets know no one, no matter who that person is. And if someone thinks that markets know this and that particular analyst, they are so wrong. If ever I go broke, I want to do it with my analysis and not from anyone else's opinion. You are an experienced investor and hence trust yourself. There is no one out there who is more brighter than you and hence you are right in your opinion. Stick to it, execute it and live with it. This is the attitude that I adopt while Trading.

Remember, life is a lot like chess, accept that after check mate, it still continues to move forward.
Okay, suppose that a swing trader may take 1% risk on each trade. What should be the initial target to book profit? 1%, 2-5%, 6-10% or 10-15% or more??
I understand that exit points can be trailed as per the price movement on the chart. However, what should be the mental objective for a swing trader?

Itsmemad,

Profits in between 4-6% with a risk of 1% should be extremely good. Basically your target should be a 5% move. .
Everything is paper profit now. Hence why to worry. If profits have to go, they'll go. I have taken these stocks from trend kind of perspective. Lets say a 10-15% kind of move. As of now, let it run. This is what I am doing. You need to see your risk profile and decide accordingly. I cant make these decisions for you dear.

Unfortunately I don't pay too much attention to patterns and waves. My strength is in identifying price structure. Hence I trade based on that. But thanks for informing about a probable H&S. Its always good to weigh all the probabilities.

don't know what others were saying. I had mentioned at 6300 that I expect markets to go to 5700 at the max. From there on, we would move ahead. Till now this opinion holds good. Who knows what levels lurk within the system. 5900,5800,5700 or Xxxx is anybody's guess. We can trade on our analysis and that's what I do. I was bullish and have been repeatedly saying so. Hence I was buying. If markets indeed have to go to 5400, we'll be out of our long positions much before it causes some serious damage to the portfolio.

In a nutshell, have a opinion and stick to it. Don't be bothered about who says what.
................You are very much correct........ that was not the right way to do it.

I was very much sure when you said it....... because it is Raunak Sir who is saying something. So what I did is.... I started checking with my last two years trades to find out any mistakes (It took more than 10 days for me to do that). Interestingly I found, even though I have made profit in my trades.... most of the time it was with hedging. And I also found that more than 75 percent of time I entered in trades or averaged was on a wrong time and price. I could have done it in a better way with the help of simple trend lines and retrace levels.

Yes ........ average is possible even on down trend but only if the script shows some strength on some support levels. simply working on percentage levels is foolishness.

I was holding SBIN and my average price was some where around 3108 levels. According to my old strategy I would have been holding it even now. But Now I have exited from it at at 3160 levels and will be entering it at 2875-80 levels.......(See chart). In the same way I have exited from Balramchini also.

Thank You Raunak Sir, for opening my eyes.It is your hard work which is paying off.

To understand one's mistake and correct it, is in itself a big achievement.

It shows you are mature, eager to learn and willing to improve.

In my view you are already a winner
.........oilman

oilman5

Resistance,support, retracements are just one of the factors one needs to watch. There is much more to how one should bottom fish. I'll write one of the ways to do it on the weekend.As of now I am staying away from Midcaps and Smallcaps.

Stick to large caps till markets move away from consolidation.

High beta positive sectors related to commodities will do well. 07.12.10

oilman5

Resistance,support, retracements are just one of the factors one needs to watch. There is much more to how one should bottom fish. I'll write one of the ways to do it on the weekend.As of now I am staying away from Midcaps and Smallcaps.

Stick to large caps till markets move away from consolidation.

High beta positive sectors related to commodities will do well. 07.12.10
There is no secret to what I do. I rely on price structure and visualization to narrow my stocks down. If in a sector I see bunch of stocks with a positive structure, I place them on my large LCD screen and view them from a distance of atleast 10 feet. The one which looks the best is the one I select to trade.

Look at Hindalco, Tata Steel, Sail, Sterlite etc. All have descent short term price structure. But when I saw Hindalco from a distance, I just knew that was the stock to bet on. Similarly, probably all auto stocks have good price structure, but the best one's from a 10 feet distance are Bajaj Auto and Tata Motors.

About 10-12 days back, when I had written to avoid Banks, I did the same. I am not completely bearish on banks. It is just that now I see gains coming from other sectors. Even if you look at Sugar stocks, the best price structure and visualization is in Renuka sugars. Hence, I am vested in the same.

One more important factor in determining where to invest is the awareness of market fundamentals and sector valuations. If you see, the simple reason why banks did not appeal much to me were because the valuations (short term) were simply exorbitant. It had to correct and I am glad it is correcting. Eventually when banks are ready for upmove again, they will contribute immensely to the broader market. I have positions now in commodity related sectors as I feel that markets will largely rally due to this sector doing well.

In conclusion, if I have to sum it up, I combine Price structure and Visualization with Fundamentals and Economic analysis to determine what will probably happen next. Once the initial view is structured, positions are taken. In this thread I can teach price structure but I cannot teach how to build Economic insight. This is something which will come naturally after observing markets and understanding structure of our economy.

Hope you understand that there is no holy grail.

oilman5

Markets have so many factors playing underneath that it is almost impossible to gauge what will happen next. What appeals bearish today may change and appear Bullish tomorrow. Hence, whatever view you have on markets should be based on broader term observations. A session, a day and a week contribute towards the price movement. Each on their own cannot be used to base a judgement.

The way I look at it, Nifty still remains positive. We are just witnessing some volatility which is natural. Market dynamics keep changing by the second and hence we'll review Nifty time and again to check our opinion.

None of the indicators are leading. Everything lags. This is precisely why I use indicators very rarely. The only "In - Present" indicator is Price. Even Price is not Leading if you look at it purely based on what it does in the present.

Anyway now coming back to your query. MACD and RSI need to be used carefully. MACD is a combination of (26 day EMA - 12 day EMA) and 9 day EMA of the (26 day EMA - 12 day EMA). Hence when you use RSI with it, a default 14 day RSI may not give you a clearer picture. See, MACD is a trending indicator. It indicates long term trend and RSI is relatively short term when you use the default settings. Hence, either shorten the settings of MACD or increase the setting of RSI for it to give you the real picture.

Also remember, indicators like RSI and Stoch can stay in Overbought and Oversold range for a long time. It does not indicate change of trend necessarily. Infact if RSI is above overbought levels for more than 3-4 days, then that's Bullish for the stock. Just read more on such indicators in Tom Demark's book. It will broaden your insight into how to use short term indicators.

Whatever your trades are, adhere to your stop losses in this market. Whether this is a shake out or otherwise will only be clear with time. Protection of capital is utmost important. Series of small losses can be made back by one trade. Hence, adhere to your stop losses.

Apart from Fundamental and Technical Factors, something I rely a lot on is Intuition. I think in this thread I have written a post regarding this, just try and find it.

I am not an expert in understanding a distribution or accumulation pattern. And one more thing is to be noted is that.......... any type of charts have its limitation in understanding the conditions of accumulation and distribution because both conditions looks as good as same in the charts.. Hence the parameter I use to observe it is the play of volume and mainly the understanding of the market conditions and in which part of that are we at present..(i.e. after a fast bull run NIFTY corrected around 500 points last month... Ok.. So the next chance is of a side way market where shorts are covered and further positions are built up according to the sentiments. We have already seen short covering till 6050 levels and then the chance is to test it 5750 or even 5550. levels... In conclusion.. I believe Niftry will trade inbetween 5550 and 6100 this month.)

Volume spread analysis is a new way of looking at the market. It more like the candlestick analysis taking into consideration the volume. However not all the candle stick rules apply here.

The basic premise behind the volume spread analysis is that the market is basically moved by the “Smart Money”. The smart money accumulates the stocks at low prices. Then begins process of marking up the price. Then the “Dumb Money” starts entering the smart slowly. The smart money starts passing the ownership of the stocks to the dumb money. This process is called Distribution. Soon more and more dumb money starts rushing into the market not wanting to be left out of the big rally. Unfortunately the retail traders are the last to get in. Once the process of distribution is complete the smart money starts rapidly marking down the prices and the dumb money are left holding the stock which was bought at high prices. At the end the smart money is much richer and they can again start accumulating the stock at lower prices. The cycle continues.

This one way explains why the move moves are slow and the down moves are very rapid. The process of marking up the prices and distribution is a slow process. It takes some effort to get the dumb money interested in buying into the rally. The mark down process is very rapid as the smart money’s intention is to trap the dumb money. They have to give very little chances to dumb money which is generally slow in reacting to exit.

VSA attempts to read the moves of the smart money by looking at the price, volume and the spread of prices.
..................Traditional approach if Price increases along with higher volume then (+)ve or Price decreases along with higher volume then (-)ve.

It was the era of OBV,in the sixties.(On Balance Volume)
Joseph Granville, creator of the On Balance Volume indicator, insisted on the importance of volume analysis. He exclaims that volume precedes price, and he even goes so far as to argue that volume is cause and price is effect.

Then traders made few more observations on Volume :=
a)Traders must always look at price patterns in conjunction with their associated volume pattern, never alone. A stock may appear to be in a head and shoulders pattern, but the volume pattern must confirm that analysis.

b)Careful analysis of the volume of selling that occurred above current resistance will help you estimate how long a stock will stall at that level.

c)Well-above-normal volume is essential when separating a true from a false breakout above resistance.

d)Well-above-normal volume on the break of a key support level is likely to keep the swing trader from making the mistake of shorting into a deceptive "spring" formation.

e)Climactic volume can occur after a sustained downtrend. The retest of the support level of the selling climax can provide a good trading opportunity if it is accompanied by low volume (as compared to the selling climax).

Like these enters VSA = Volume Spread Analysis (Though the person behind this Tom Williams has taken the concept from a Richard Wykoff of 18th century & built upon it.)
Which Karthik has taken a Gr8 effort to explain to us.(I am personally keen to know)

There is also another New Approach "Profile".
Just a slight clarification for newbies. Market Profile plots Time per Price, while the commonly available Volume Profile plots Volume per Price. Distinction is for conceptual clarity only. after that you can use VP properly to get readings "similar" to MP and use VPOC too.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The foundations for volume spread analysis were laid by R.Wyckoff way back in the early 1930s. Wyckoff was supposed to have made fortunes with his principles. Wyckoff stared with a premise that price / volume / Time could provide a picture of the demand and supply from smart money (he called the smart money ‘composite man’). We will come back Wyckoff later in the thread. It would be nice to look at Wyckoff methods time to time as his work is the basic one and others have built on it.

Wyckoff had three basic principles or..say.. laws

Supply and Demand
Cause and Effect
Effort and Result

The current day VSA available in the market still relate to these tenets.

Much later in the 70s Tom Williams who worked with a syndicate (read… Smart money) for 15 years, developed on the Wyckoff’s work and came up with Volume Spread Analysis and later commercialized it. (The critic would say ..why commercialize it, he could have made money himself.. ). Now many more companies offer their own concoction of VSA, hawkeye traders and genie software to name a few.

Tom William’s VSA basically ignores the open of a bar and uses high, Low and Close. This is where it basically differs from classical candlestick analysis. Most commercial vendors claim to use more than 300 indicators to analyze each bar. I have seen that some of the VSA vendors use other indicators though not explicitly.

One thing is certain that the availability of basic information on VSA is scarce. I have come across much discussion on other forums on VSA. However most revolve around commercially available packages. Our intention in this thread will be to explore the basics so that each one of us can arrive at our own convenient VSA analysis.

I know most of you are eager to get straight into the core of VSA. But let us lay some foundations before building the blocks of VSA. First thing is of course to understand a little more about working of Smart Money (hereafter we will just use the term SM to indicate Smart money).

The SM basically moves the market in four phases as follows

1. Accumulation
2. Markup
3. Distribution
4. Mark Down

Most of you may be fully aware of these. Still we will look at these phases more in details as this would help us to understand the SM operation better which in turn would give a better perspective to VSA.

There will not be any demand for something when there is plenty of it available and nobody wants it. As the availability decreases and more people want it then the demand increases. So the first thing the SM does is find something that is available a plenty and cheap. The next step is to create a scarcity of the same and get people interested in it which in turn generates the demand. This is first phase which is Accumulation.

Accumulation is a process through which the SM acquires a large quantity of the stock at the lowest possible price. Accumulation is a subtle, sophisticated and sly process of cornering a huge quantity of the stock that makes the following phases possible and worthwhile. Once a large quantity has been absorbed the number of floating stock reduces and the demand increases. This makes possible the next phase Markup.

Accumulation normally takes place in congestion areas. Congestion area are mostly sideways range bound movements where the stock appears to have no interest to either move up or move down. The SM ensures that the stock is contained below a certain upper level which is the supply area. At the same time the SM also supports the prices above a certain lower line which is the support area. The stock moves within an upper resistance or supply area and a lower support area.

The congestion areas are characterized by Indecision. One of the most important characters of congestion areas is the Low Volume. When most traders are bullish or bearish the volume is high. Low volumes indicate indecision among the traders on bullishness and bearishness.

Ah.. Sounds easy…….. Well the problem is that congestion areas are seen in both accumulation areas as well as Distribution areas ……… oh , Well that is not the only problem………. There will be periods where no one seems to be interested in the stock… the pattern of price movement most of time very similar to the congestion pattern…..

So the naturally the question is how one would ascertain if the pattern is really accumulation in progress……. A little later on this and other congestion patterns…..
So the question was …How one checks if the congestion area is really an accumulation area.

There are a few things to lookout for..

First, the indecision should be quite visible. In other words the volume should be low and quite. No huge volume upsurges. Even if the volume is relatively higher the range between up day volumes and down day volume should be narrow.

Second, the spread of the bars (High – Low) should be narrow.

Third, the volume should shrink near the support line and expand near the resistance line.

Fourth, the stock should be trading in a range for some weeks if not months.

Also you may see some shakeouts in the trading range. The SM would temporarily drive down the prices below the support line in order to takeout the stop losses and panic the weak hands into selling. You will see the stock bounces back above the support line immediately. By this process the SM is shaking out the weak money from the stock. For most of us it is just a failed breakout. Sometime the stock instead of bouncing back would continue to drop if there was too much supply. So trading these breakouts could be tricky.

Also it would a good sign if the stocks trading range is much above the support line.

Normally we would see some of the above signs if not all in the acuumulation area.

There are many other patterns which signify accumulation. Some of them are rounding bottoms, reverse head and shoulder and double bottoms (or “W”) patterns. Each could be explained in terms of SM activity. However we would go into the details now. One thing to keep in mind when evaluating patterns is that it is very important to check the volume pattern as well.

For an example we will look at the chart of HCC where a clear accumulation indication was seen June 2007...

The Following 50 Users Say Thank You to karthikmarar For This Useful Post:
aad (30th July 2008), adilsaleem (30th July 2008), alroyraj (18th May 2010), anchoi9 (1st September 2010), ARMHM (20th August 2008), avijit_das (30th July 2008), balraj167 (9th November 2008), Boreas (30th July 2008), casoni (30th July 2008), Czar (29th July 2008), deb99891 (30th July 2008), gangadharan (16th November 2010), GauravC (1st September 2008), giteshnayya (17th July 2010), gvnarendra (15th August 2008), hendrix (23rd September 2009), hills_5000 (29th August 2009), joy.edakad (2nd August 2008), kaaran (13th October 2010), karizmax (25th October 2009), KULUKKO (28th September 2010), kunaljs99 (15th November 2009), milind857 (28th December 2009), mohhnow (1st June 2010), Niks (27th August 2008), Obosh (3rd August 2008), Phani333 (1st March 2010), Piuvbn (20th August 2010), pkjha30 (31st July 2008), Prabhjeet (15th August 2008), Reji (12th August 2008), rkripal (30th July 2008), rost (23rd May 2010), Saint (29th July 2008), sanjay_arora (20th November 2010), SavantGarde (30th July 2008), sdebu_2000 (19th August 2008), segul (24th August 2008), SGM (31st July 2008), sikandar (30th July 2008), SR_TA (2nd November 2009), strade (13th September 2008), Sunny1 (24th September 2009), uasish (1st August 2008), URLUCKY (31st August 2008), vats (30th July 2008), veekay304 (27th August 2009), Visualize (11th October 2010), VJAY (16th August 2008), yesheswin (3rd December 2010)

karthikmarar
View Public Profile
Send a private message to karthikmarar
Visit karthikmarar's homepage!
Find all posts by karthikmarar
Add karthikmarar to Your Contacts

#10 30th July 2008, 08:49 PM - Add Post To Favorites
karthikmarar
Member Join Date: Jul 2005
Thanked 1,083 Times in 185 Posts

Re: Volume Spread Analysis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few points about the congestion zone we are looking at for signs of accumulation. It is important to look at the history of the stock prior to the congestion area.

A few things to look out for….

Has the stock gone through a cycle of accumulation, markup, distribution and markdown previously? Were there signs of a selling climax just prior to the congestion? If so, the SM are really looking out for making another round.

Or the stock has been languishing aimlessly prior to the congestion zone you are looking at. If so, this area you are looking at is not accumulation at all.

Was the stock enjoying an uptrend prior to the congestion? If so, this could be a re-accumulation going on here.

Was the stock undergoing a minor down trend (after an up move) prior to the congestion? Was there a downtrend without selling climax? Then this could mean there is re-distribution in progress and it may be advisable to look out for sign of distribution.

(If you are wondering what is selling climax.. don’t worry.. we will take it up in detail later.)

Now we come to the next phase in the game plan of SM, namely “Mark Up”.

Once the smart money has a cornered a huge chunk of the stocks they are ready for the next move. The idea is to jack up the prices so the SM can fill their pockets. Typically you will see the low are getting higher. The closes are slowly getting nearer to the high. The prices are getting higher on lower volumes as there is very less supply. The reactions happen much higher than the support line.

Then ..the stock shoots through the resistance or supply line with higher volume. For that matter the stock need not exhibit the characteristics mentioned above. Suddenly it can just pop out of the congestion zone.

It is better to take note on the volume at this juncture. The volume need not be very high at all. Since there is no supply (SM have the majority of the floating stock). If the volume is moderate we should see it coming in strongly soon. Otherwise the move will collapse and stock would return to the base. We should see a large swift increase in the volume in case of a genuine breakout. The stock should be closing near the top. Also too much volume is not good. It would mean too much supply is coming in. Heavy volume with the stock closing in lower half would definitely mean supply coming in. Typically an 150% increase in volume with the close near the top would indicate a successful breakout.

The breakout is just the beginning. Then the stock moves up in stages. Each stage would be an advance at higher volumes and a retracement at lower volumes. The retracement is mainly due to short term traders booking their profits. The SM also starts the distribution during the retracement. The point at which the retracement stops become important. These should be above the previous retracement stops. In simple terms as Saint would put it the stock is making higher high pivots and higher low points.

We will also see sideways movement during the up move which would be congestion areas. We need to pay lot of attention to these congestion areas for this could be final distribution areas before the mark down begins. Also it pays to give attention to volume during retracement and congestion areas. Increasing volumes near support line and low pivots indicate problem. If the increase is dramatic then it is time to re-evaluate your position.

Finally the stock could make a climax run where the price and volume explode. The shorts run for cover and the green horns rush in not to be left out... like cattle rushing into a abattoir. Soon rapid markdown starts leaving the weak money holding the bag and he SM their cash.

Please do note that here we are talking about more of an idealistic picture. In reality it could be more complex and many a time difficult to decipher. But then practice makes one perfect.

Just enclosing a chart with similar conditions mentioned above.

Now let us come to the third phase in the SM game plan which is “Distribution”. Distribution is the process where the SM is offloading their accumulated stock at a much higher price.

It is not very easy to spot distribution. Many a times you will not see any congestion areas. The UP move may slowly deteriorate and start rapidly deciding after a furl of heightened activity. The Wyckoff puritans may disagree here.

In mark up phase after the stock has run up for some time you will the volume diminishing and the spreads narrowing. The angle of ascent becomes lesser and lesser. The stock trend may even flatten. This would mean that the demand is drying up. The buyers are not willing to pay a higher price for the stock. Also sellers are reluctant to offload their positions hoping and waiting for a better price. It is here the SM slowly start offloading their stock. Much care is taken not to make it visible. Volume is never too high. Prices are support at certain levels so that there is no panic. Here it is important to take note of the volume price pattern and angle of ascent. Too steep an ascent is also a problem. Suddenly you will see the stock dropping down like stone from its high perch.

It is at the top you will see patterns like H&S and double Tops which are distribution patterns.

Many times it is hard to maintain any semblance of the uptrend continuing and so a sideways congestion move ensues. The congestion zone will be quite similar to the zone we discussed earlier for accumulation. You will see the price being supported at some support level and being contained within a resistance level. The points to take note are the same ones we talked about in the accumulation zone. Just like in the shake outs in the accumulation zone you will see a shakeout in terms of up thrust bars. One has to be very careful trading the breakout from the distribution zone. If it turns out to be the final climax move you will be left holding the bag. But then the stock may goes for another up move. Here looking for uptrusts and other weak indication becomes necessary. We will be talking about these indications later.

In the final climax run the stock explodes in terms of volume and price. Like I said before the breakout traders , greenhorns rush in and the shorts will run for cover. Then you will see many Uptrust Bars where distribution takes place with maximum prices. There could be a series of Uptrusts and then…….BANG….. the stock drops down like a stone.

The chart posted earlier shows an example distribution zone and the climax run. The upthrust bars are identified with square on Top of the bar.
We now come to final step in the SM game plan, the “Mark Down”. When the SM has disposed off most of the accumulated stock they start the most dramatic move of crashing down the prices. Suddenly supply comes in plenty overwhelming the demand. The price starts tumbling. The spreads dramatically widen. There is panic selling from investors. But the prices drop so rapidly and most of the investors and green horns that entered late never get a chance to off load there holdings.

Like the markup phase we will see some rallies in the downtrend. These are more off reactions. Either the SM themselves try to shore up the price for their last bit of holding. Day traders, “Value Investors” trying to bottom pick and the green horns trying to “Average” contribute to these rallies. Our friend Saints calls averaging “Catching a dropping knife”. I cannot find a better description for “Averaging”. It is better to note the volume during the rallies. You will find the volume is more on down days and less on up days. When the rally fails the average investor panic and start selling and that accelerates the fall.

It may take weeks for the down trend to reach the bottom. The end is generally indicated by a stopping volume or an absorption volume. The SM may be absorbing the stocks to start the game again. You would find a High volume bar with long spread and closing near the top.

It is during the mark down phase you will see rallies like the “Dead Cat Bounce”. Pay attention to the volume pattern during these rallies.

The mark down phase is the most depressing and cruel part of the SM game plan. By the end of it the SM would be taking delivery of his brand new E class Benz while the average investor is scouting for a buyer for his run down maruti.
Of course the Markdown phase does offer good opportunities to smart investors who are adept in short side trades.

But the mark down phase has a silver lining… towards the end it offers the smart investors many opportunity to enter into some really profitable trades. We will discuss all these later
High Volume happens during the early stage of the Mark Up as well. Also SM use High volume to cross high supply zones. So it is important to see if the high volume move is supported by SM and the market in general. How we can infer this? We can do this by looking at the spread and the close. This is just what VSA is about.
Now that we have a general idea about the SM operation we can step into the world of VSA.

VSA involves analyzing each bar with respect volume, spread and close. We will ignore the open. Also while analyzing the bar action we will also keep in mind the general background of the market.

As a first step let us make some definitions. These are elementary and most of you understand this. But for the sake of synchronizing our thought I will repeat these here.

Some Basic Bar definitions.

Upbar - A bar would be called a up bar if the close of the bar is above the close of the previous bar.

Downbar – A bar would be called a Downbar if the close of the bar is below the close of previous bar.

Spread – Spread is the difference between High and Low.

A wide spread Bar – If the spread of the bar is above 1.8 times the average spread then we will term it as a wide spread bar. The factor of 1.8 is a tentative one.

A narrow spread bar – if the spread of the bar is 0.8 times the average spread then we will term in a narrow bar. The factor 0.8 is again tentative.

Note:

The problem of calculating the average spread is that during volatile period the average spread is high and in non volatile period the average spread is lower. So a bar which could be termed as a wide spread bar (WRB) in non volatile times could become a average or even a Narrow spread bar (NRB) in volatile times. For simplicity sake and to take the discussion forward we will keep the above factors common. At a later stage we can discuss about methods to arrive at better methods of defining the average which works at all times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next we come to topic of volume. CV had raised a valid question on this. How high is high and how low is low? For this we should have a reference volume which can used to compare with the daily/bar volume. The simplest way is to have 30 day/bar moving average of the volume. From the very little experience I have in VSA I feel that the 30 day/Bar simple moving average of volume serves the purpose quite well. We will take it as the stating point. Mike had pointed out another method. We can discuss these further in the thread later as points of refinement after we establish the basic indicators of VSA. Again as a starting point we will define any volume above 1.8 times the average as “High volume”. Volume above 3 times the average would be termed “Ultra High” volumes. Volume below 0.7 times the average volume will be “low volume”.

With these basic definitions we are ready to look at some of frequent Indicators (do not confuse with the normal TA indicators, here we are talking about the various type of Bars related to VSA analysis)

Some members felt that the thread looked too elementary in a Advanced Strategy section. Maybe it is true. I wanted the thread in this way since it should be easily understandable even for the newbee. Also, even more experienced people are not reluctant to look at the market in this way. The indicator trader would definitely find a Bar by Bar analysis a hard pill to swallow.

A note of caution, before we proceed into the real VSA study. Please note that it will be difficult to build a mechanical trading system from VSA though not impossible. However knowledge of VSA will greatly help one to understand the market better and will be a great support tool complimenting their trading systems. Also VSA on its own provides some excellent entry and early exit points resulting is good profitable trades
Finally…. we will step in the actual VSA. VSA measures the weakness and strength of individual bars. In addition it looks at the background strength/Weakness. So we have to always look out for Weakness in a uptrend and for strength in a down Trend.

Each bar could be characterized to indicate Strength or Weakness based on the Spread and volume.

We will start with looking out for weakness. First we will look into one of the most easily identifiable and strong indication of weakness which is commonly called the UPTHRUST Bar. And what a day to talk about Upthrust… The charts are full of them today…Even the nifty is showing a Upthrust…of course not a one of the ideal one. But distinct weakness shown on the nifty.

What is an UPTHRUST BAR ?

An Upthrust Bar is a wide range bar, with a high volume and closing down. It indicates that the prices were marked up during the day (for simplicity we use day, it is equally applicable on all time frames), the Trading activity was High as indicated by the High volume and the prices dropped to near the low (or to the low) towards the closing hours.

Looking the SM perspective what happened was that the SM marked up the prices in early trading hours indicating strong bullishness. Enticed by this bullish move the weak money also rushed to acquire the stock. Shorts if any would also have rushed for cover. Meanwhile the SM is quietly distributing their holding to the weak money. In the later part of the day the SM drastically marks the price down trapping the weak money holding stocks at much higher prices.

In order to make this ideal, the Upthrust normally appears after a wide range upbar with high volume. This makes it easy for the SM to markup the price and entice the weak money. Most of the time the Upthrust will be moving into new higher territory. The High of this bar will be much higher than the previous high.. High volume should be an important consideration.

What are the Things to Look for in a Uptrust?

1. High Volume and How high?
2. Wide Spread?
3. Close, near or on the Low?
4. What was the previous bar action?
5. Did the bar into new territory?
6. Is the stock in an up trend?
...........................................What are the Things to Looks for in a Uptrust?

1. High Volume and How high?
2. Wide Spread?
3. Close, near or on the Low?
4. What was the previous bar action?
5. Did the bar into new territory?
6. Is the stock in an up trend?

The Answers for the above would decide how potent the Upthrust is.

High volume Upthrust are a sure indication of weakness, higher the Volume the stronger the indication. It may be even wise to get out of the stock if the Upthrust has ultra high volume.

Wider the spread more potent the Upthrust

Lower the closer the stronger the indication of weakness. Ideally it should close should be the Low. If the close is towards the middle it would mean than the SM was not successful in marking the price down. There was too much demand.

An ideal Upthrust will move into new territory. The High will be very much higher than the high of the previous bar. This means the SM was really successful in marking the price up and many traders get trapped into bad positions in the end of the day.

Upthrusts are effective when the trend has been in force for some time. Sometime you would find weak up thrusts in early trends.

Many times you will Upthrusts with low volume. I call them Pseudo Upthrusts. These are not effective as the Upthrust. But are still signs of weakness..

............this view r from Kartik...............
There is no secret to what I do. I rely on price structure and visualization to narrow my stocks down. If in a sector I see bunch of stocks with a positive structure, I place them on my large LCD screen and view them from a distance of atleast 10 feet. The one which looks the best is the one I select to trade.

Look at Hindalco, Tata Steel, Sail, Sterlite etc. All have descent short term price structure. But when I saw Hindalco from a distance, I just knew that was the stock to bet on. Similarly, probably all auto stocks have good price structure, but the best one's from a 10 feet distance are Bajaj Auto and Tata Motors.

About 10-12 days back, when I had written to avoid Banks, I did the same. I am not completely bearish on banks. It is just that now I see gains coming from other sectors. Even if you look at Sugar stocks, the best price structure and visualization is in Renuka sugars. Hence, I am vested in the same.

One more important factor in determining where to invest is the awareness of market fundamentals and sector valuations. If you see, the simple reason why banks did not appeal much to me were because the valuations (short term) were simply exorbitant. It had to correct and I am glad it is correcting. Eventually when banks are ready for upmove again, they will contribute immensely to the broader market. I have positions now in commodity related sectors as I feel that markets will largely rally due to this sector doing well.

In conclusion, if I have to sum it up, I combine Price structure and Visualization with Fundamentals and Economic analysis to determine what will probably happen next. Once the initial view is structured, positions are taken. In this thread I can teach price structure but I cannot teach how to build Economic insight. This is something which will come naturally after observing markets and understanding structure of our economy.

Hope you understand that there is no holy grail.

oilman5

Thank you for the comment.

System Never makes any mistakes.. It is our mind and attitude makes mistakes and that depends on our greed fullness and worries. I have noticed and practiced it very well... And I have created my attitude like...... (LET THE MARKET GO ANY WHERE ...... I DON'T CARE....... I AM AN INVESTOR AND I TRADE TO FEED MY INVESTMENTS).....In my first year of trading I use to be revengeful to the market because of my loosing money. I use to think in a wishful way and I was also encouraged by the brokers. But the entire result was against me. There I decided not to sell any thing below my purchase rate..... The result for some time was I use to buy scripts and it goes down and I use to wait till it come up to my purchase rate and exited but I never earned but the broker earned.

Then I made a decision that I will not sell any thing with out earning 10% on that.... and here is the place I started earning bit by bit...... TA.... SL... every thing came to me recently only. So....... sir..... It is well said by Raunak Sir, "It is all that you need a winning attitude"

You see, In this month I started to practice writing options I sold 5400 put option around Rs. 35 and 6000 call option around 77. call option went up to 119.... I received calls from my brokers saying that market is going up and better you square off positions because there are unlimited risk in selling options. But I decided to keep the positions till the expiry no matter what ever may happen. It is just because I want to learn things.

Shorting an Index is never easy. If you look carefully, you will find atleast 100 trades based on what you are suggesting which fail more often than they succeed. We tend to focus on trades which work and hence see only that aspect. We often fail to see where the trades actually failed. This is very common.

Also, If you see, I rarely short stocks/index. In this entire correction, I have shorted only three stocks; Tata Steel, DLF and Praj. Tata steel gave me small profit, in DLF I captured more than 80-90 Rs and today in Praj I captured 2 rs per lot. Most of my trades in this correction have been on the long side and have resulted in small losses. The reason behind this is very simple. In bull markets, I never go short. In Bear market, I never go long. In other words, buying in Bull markets is very easy and shorting in Bear markets is very easy. Hope you get my point.

Currently, as of 15.30 P.m., we are still in a Bull market. Hence, my aim is to search for trades on the long side till we enter a Bear market. If you intend to be a good buyer and a good short seller, then never Short in a bull market and never Buy in a Bear market. Once you think this way, the techniques will automatically show up.
.................There is no harm in Bottom Fishing based on Technical Patterns.

But, do that for the strong stocks. In the current market that would be stocks like Titan, Bajaj, Cummins, Tata Motors etc. .There's more chance that such stocks will bounce more faster.

Technically your chart looks good. But had this chart been of the above stocks, I would have been more convinced about the trades. Just keep this in mind.

Thanks bro always learning from you. One more thing wanted to ask you was which sector to you is looking most bullish in this correction that is it has not fallen or runs up earlier than anything else. For me it seems Auto sector is holding pretty well. I am asking this because usually when a sector shows strength or refuses to go down that sector runs up faster than any other. Your view on this would help me. Will give you an example in May when we were correcting the banks refused to sell off in the correction and when the markets resumed the rally they went up and gave the best gain in the rally so far.

So identifying the sector is my mission in this correction.
I personally still believe that we are in a Bull market. I review my position every evening and hence I can still say that we remain firmly intact in a Bull market. The way I am seeing, our markets will remain volatile between 5800-6000. That would be the broad based channel. Even if the channel is violated on the downside, I would review again before declaring the Bull dead.

As far as extremely short term trade goes, one can go long in Nifty tomorrow if it makes a high above 5940 with SL of 5880. Target would be around 6000-6010. RR of 1:1.

Traders and Investors always have a lot of time to position themselves for the next upcoming move. It is just that majority of them fail to realize this. Hence be patient. Even if bear markets are coming, we will trade it just as well as we have traded the Bull market.

Identifying Sectors/Stocks is secondary in nature. Try and understand what I am writing.

Hence, let me again reiterate to you.

Before getting in the Buy or Short mode on respective sectors and stocks, you need to get into broad based market definition mode. For example,

If (Markets are in a Bull phase)

a) How do I define Bull phase
b) What is the current Economic cycle
C) What about market data (inflation, valuations etc)
d) What about the strategy I will use (Long or short or Long/Short)
e) Will that strategy be for low/high volatile market
f) Which instrument will I use
g) If its highly volatile, will I hedge
h) Which stocks have done well in these phases
i) What is my backup plan
j) How do I give this plan a feedback

This is just one of the scenarios I have explained to you for varied market conditions. You need to have scenarios like these prepared for different market conditions. Hope you get my point
it is only a winning attitude you need"

And what is a winning attitude?.... It is well described by Krishna to Arjuna

"YOGASTHA KURU KARMANI
SANGHAM THYAKTHUA DHANANJAYA
SIDHYA SIDHYOHO SAMO BHUTHUA
SAMATHUAM YOGA UCHIYATHE".

"Hey Arjuna.... don't be attached to your personal feelings when you are performing your duties....and be even minded about the results...evenness of mind will always lead you to success."

Now my dear friend, Investing and trading is a business for me and no business is a success with out proper planing. So I will do it in every possible way.

As you said... shorter time frame... I trade intraday in a shorter time frame with the support of longer time frames and till date I am winning on 80 percent trades.
hope you guys had your stop losses in place. I have always told that there is no stock which can be bought and forgotten and hence everything must have a SL. I had warned that in this market stop losses need to be adhered to. Anyway, if some of you have not done so, take out your trading diaries and note what market has taught you today. If some of you have also lost money, then take it as a small battle lost in the War of survival.

As of Exit plans and market direction all I can say is that we are still positive. I might look like a fool to say this, but in my opinion, we remain as Bullish as ever. I have shared my positions with you guys and I can tell you that I am taking small losses as stop losses are being triggered. At this stage, I can say that in December - January - February, hopefully we should be able to capture 400-600 points on the Nifty in Swing trade. Just be patient and keep stop losses tight. Be prepared for more volatility and be level headed. 09.12.10
...............Markets needs a reason to correct.

Correction - most of the time it happens un expected.
That day could be any day even tomorrow no body knows so please be prepared.So we have to be cautious on every day.

This is not induce fear but caution.

With my limited knowledge of TA.My few points strictly technical.

As on date on the weekly candles we have a bearish engulfing pattern
though we have one more day for completion.
Nifty has entered again the bearish channel.

Hope and assumptions have killed several traders and investors.
Strict SL only way to safe guard.

5700 is a crucial support.
If taken out then panic selling can take the markets easily to 5636 and 5500 levels.

On the other side market's could take 5700 support as a double bottom and reverse again taking Christmas,New Year sentiments,Budget as a reason.

In either case I will be long only if Nifty on a closing basis closes above 5880.

Firstly, I like the way you have researched Nifty. What you have mentioned is Mean reversion of prices. This is one technique which works well but is very difficult to time. Anyway good going on that front. Now coming to your query.

The kind of screen we are seeing is bound to shake the confidence of many traders and personally I won't blame any of you if you call me crazy behind being so Bullish. Out of my experience in the market, there is one thing I know and that is that the inherent nature of markets never change. By this, I mean that a long term trend needs to counter itself with "Greater" amount of negative factors for it to reverse and change its course. Let me explain this to you guys.

As human beings, we are always destined to grow into someone who makes significant impact on our lives or on the society in general. The trend is always up as far as our growth is concerned. However, some still fail to reach the heights they are destined to. This is because, they fill themselves up with Negativity and remorse and this counters the god gifted positivity and enthusiasm to do things. Its a fact of life that negativity is far more dominating than positivity and hence this limits the growth of the individual. This is precisely why I say that if one has genuine winning attitude, rest of things automatically fall in place.

Now coming to markets. All the markets in the world exist to grow and rise. History is witness to this and no matter what market you look at, it always has an inclination to grow and rise. Have you ever thought that why do Bull markets last for several years and Bear markets last for relatively fewer years? Again, this is only because markets are always looking for reasons to rise. When they cant find any, they fall. But eventually it will again find reasons to rise.

Having said this, there are certain times when markets go out of favor and some other market begins to rise. This is a cycle which has always existed and will never cease to exist. When a market is in favor, it takes a whole lot of negativity to turn it around. Usually such turns are accompanied by some asset bubble or some serious fundamental issue. As of now, there is nothing of the sort which suggests that we are into some kind of bubble. The next decade or more belongs to Emerging markets and for this to go out of favor, there is something catastrophic which needs to happen. Hence, rather than getting into any technical or fundamental factor, the only thing at this juncture which would sum up my bullishness is the fact that I see Indian markets in favor at the moment. Now whether the rise begins from 5500, 5200 or 4800, I don't care. Even if markets have to enter bearish phase, the transition has to take time. If bear markets are the name of the game in future, there is just one thing I am going to say and that is "Bring it On"!!

Trading Psychology - IF Lose Discussion

* consecutive losers in short time - becomes thinking that you don't know how to trade

* method trades BUT losing - the method doesn't work

Trading Method - IF Lose Discussion

* were the trades really method trades? IF yes - retain confidence and stay with the method based on your experience and consistency of repetition over the larger number of trades.
IF no - be sure that you are only 'base' method trading - it is fine if these trades lose AND there is no way to limit those times that they may be consecutive.

Self Awareness AND Realization

* transition - normal trading emotion to anxious/start spiral to out of control

* be aware - what do you most want to remember/think about to 'stop' the spiraling

Some comments from me and Raunak will give his comments. Being able to laugh at what you 'feel' was a 'dumb' trade and go on to the next setup - instead of going ballistic on yourself for being the most stupid moronic brain-dead trader alive, which is just about going to guarantee you are going to spiral if that next trade is also a loser - may be more beneficial than your 'favorite' trade setup.

IF there is a transition where the trader goes from acceptable emotion to tradingpsych spiraling THEN there is a crossover point where IF you are aware of the situation, you have an opportunity to 'stop' this transition from completing, what makes this difficult to do, BUT also makes it all the more necessary to be able to do, is that this is happening internally and chances are you typically would not be aware of it until it was too late AND may not even consciously realize it until the spiraling has taken over and you give into it.

In light of this, traders can for example take there key issues and write them on an index card AND stick them on there personal monitors. The objective is realization and making this available to your conscious as a reminder, instead of only available to your subconscious as a problem.

Thus, when you do this, BE SURE that you are writing short non-judgmental notes - DON'T let the 'solution' make the 'problem' worse.

For instance, consider the combination of a build of emotions coming from consecutive losses which are also occurring during congestion - write notes similar to these on your card:

* a build in emotions may come from a series of quick consecutive losses

* quick consecutive losses often come from trading inside of congestion

* are your losses 'base' congestion method trades OR are you overtrading

* there is nothing wrong with 'base' method trade loses

* your trading results are fine when you 'base' method trade

Now consider the same situation BUT different notes:

* don't be a stupid idiot and overtrade congestion like you always do

* you are going to lose your ass and end up with another losing day like usual

* you do this same crap every day and the same thing happens

* you have no reason to even trade if this is all that you are going to do

Does this seem far fetched, does common sense indicate that no one would ever write notes like these? Absolutely some people would write these note AND worse [been there - done that], as they take the attitude that this kind of emphasis on what the problem leads to is an emphatic warning that will keep it from occurring. But instead this backfires, as most derisive self-talk of any kind tends to do. Now not only are the emotions stemming from this kind of self-talk in your subconscious where we know their potential to become debilitating, you have also put them into your conscious. AND since you have them in writing - right in front of you on your monitor next to your trading charts AND SINCE what you have written is a very prevalent tpsych problem - WHERE do you think your focus in going to be? Do you think you will continue to focus on those charts and trading method OR do you think you will keep 'seeing' your notes and intensify the problem and thus the speed of your tpsych spiral? The solution makes the problem worse.

Remain Neutral
The Answer helped me not only to understand the movement of markets but also to understand your view in a whole.

I have checked with the whole nifty chart from 2000 s where it started fro 890 levels and found that only once it corrected more than 50% and all other corrections were some where 15% to 30 %..... so this could not be counted as bear market...... and this should be used as opportunities to grab positions.

My passion is accumulation of fundamentally strong scripts. I use trading and hedging to prevent my investments from lose. A very good lesson learned from your answer.

Your answer made me remembering a story told to me by my dad when I was very young.

Once Hrishi Baradwaja (in his you age) was learning vedas from Brihispathi's(Father of Bharadwaja) class.

Brihispathi was describing that all creation is made by god and Bharadwaja asked........ How did God made all this. The answer was........ God made all these from himself.

Bharadwaja was a very smart student and was very good in mathematics.

He asked......If god made everything from himself....... the god might either become very small or finished now.

Brishispathi answered.

OM PURNA MATHA...... POORNA MITHAM
POORNAAD..... POORNAM... UDHACHIYATHE
POORNASYA POORNAM ADHAYAA.
POORNAM... EVA... AVSHISHYATHE.

Meaning......... 0 + 0 = 0...&...0 - 0 = 0........ (here starts the vedic Mathematics)
Infinity + infinity = infinity
infinity - infinity = infinity.
infinity always remain........ so.. god is = infinity.

Here market is our god ........ and infinity.

(interestingly Hrishi Bharadwaja was the founder of vaimanika shastra..he made pushpaka viman.

Swing Trade Focus

DLF, Tata Steel & Nifty

Signals will be updated in Real time........10.12.10

oilman5

Extreme short term trend is still towards the short side.

Hence don't get complacent. Every trade should have a SL. 10.12.10
Fibonnacci Numbers and sequence has been explored and proved in various facets of life. I am a huge believer of such sequences and symmetries. Having said that, I also believe that Fib sequence and its association with Financial markets is similar to the association of various other concepts to the financial domain. In other words, if looked at with bias, it seems to work almost every time. However, practically speaking, any round figure retracement would work just as fine as the Fib levels. Market seems non random so as to make one feel that tools & techniques seem to work. By saying this I do not mean that markets are deceptive, but I mean that it is in us to know when and how to use those tools.

Try and explore this more and see how you can incorporate the usage of Fib levels in the larger market framework. Tools which are not correlated always add value. Keep them limited and use them to gather more and more insight.
Now is the time to Act !!

Dear All,

Do not get perturbed with the market action.

We remain strongly footed in Bull market. There is a saying in the market that the one who takes maximum risk, is the one who gets maximum returns. I think, we should add the word "Maximum calculated Risk" to the above statement. Going by the underlying, now is the correct time to deploy some cash in the market. The amount of inherent risk remains as the volatility is high, but the proportionate returns also stand to be made in this time.

As far as I am reading the market, I remain very comfortable as far as Nifty remains above 5600. Even if Nifty closes below this level, I would be looking for a sustainable close below this level for a period of 15-20 days before even beginning to doubt the underlying trend. There are some excellent stocks available at attractive valuations currently. Many of them stand at a juncture from where they could see significant amount of appreciation. Hence, take some risk and invest in good companies.

As Bullish as always...............The long term trend of Tata steel is just in its infancy. It will take some time to develop. Till then it will keep rising and falling and hence will be an excellent candidate for Swing trades. Hindalco on the other hand is in a mature uptrend. Hence, anyone looking to grab this stock should do it below 200. If it does not go there, then at some point in future there will come a stage when the stock will offer good risk to reward. At that time we will try and grab it.

The way I am reading Tata steel at the moment, I feel the stock is forming an excellent base around 530-600 for a long term move ahead. Hence, stick with it for Swing trades and wait for the price to indicate the shift in trend. 11.12.10
List of Stocks to Pick along with Sector

Voltas - Consumption Theme
Vijaya Bank - Public Sector Bank
Uco Bank - Public Sector Bank
TVS Motor - Automobile (2&3 Wheeler)
Syndicate Bank - Public Sector Bank
State Bank of India - Public Sector Bank
Srei Infrastructure - Finance Leasing
Skumars - Textiles - Synthetic Silk
Sintex - Industrial
Siemens - Telecom
Sriram Transp - Finance Leasing
Punjab National Bank - Public Sector Bank
Oriental Bank - Public Sector Bank
Opto Cirui - Hospital & Medical
L&T - Engineering Heavy
Kotak Mahindra - Private Sector Bank
Kingfisher Airline - Aviation
Indraprastha Gas - Oil drilling & Exploration
IOB - Public Sector Bank
IDBI - Public Sector Bank
HDFC Ltd - Finance Housing
HDFC Bank - Private Sector Bank
Havells India - Electric Equipment
Glaxosmithkline Pharma - Pharmaceuticals
Dish Tv - Media & Entertainment
Development Credit Bank - Private sector Bank
Dena Bank - Public Sector Bank
Chambal Fertilizers - Fertilizers
Biocon - Pharmaceuticals
Bhushan Steel - Steel
Bharat Forge - Casting & Forging
Bank of Baroda - Public Sector Bank
Bajaj Holding & Investments - Finance Investments
Asian Paints - Paint & Varnishes
Ashok Leyland - Auto LCV/HCV
Ambuja Cements - Cement
Adani Enterprises - Trading
ABG Shipyard - Shipping

Based on Fundamentals that I look for and the Price structure of the stocks, I have short listed stocks from F&O segment which are worth looking at. You will need to analyze the stocks according to your own portfolio and will also have to look for suitable entry/exit and the SL.

One more thing which I'd like to say is that stock market is 'Dynamic' in nature. Hence, any stock can change its structure. Follow strict SL's and keep tracking your investments on a regular basis........11.12.10
MFI

Basics - This is basically a Momentum Indicator which indicates the Money flowing in and money flowing out. Typical way to use this is to look for divergence between Money flowing in and price and by seeing when markets are reaching top and bottom (80 & 30 levels). Very similar to how you would use the RSI.

Calculation - There are basically three stages of calculation done to determine the MFI

a) First we calculate the Typical price which is equivalent to (High + Close + low)/3
b) Second we calculate the Money flow, which is equivalent to Typical Price*Volume. In this case if today's Typical price is greater than yesterdays typical price, then it is considered as Positive Money flow. Else vice versa.
c) We typically get two Variables in this. The positive money flow and the negative money flow. If we take the ratio of both, we then get the Money Ratio.
d) Finally we calculate the MFI which is equivalent to 100/(1+Money Ratio).

PVT

Basics - PVT essentially is a cumulative total of volume which mainly depends on the "%change" of the closing price. This is not a momentum indicator, but it is more like "price" which essentially has no limitations on the upside and downside. Though many consider it to be similar to OBV, mathematically they differ a lot. While OBV adds all volume of the day if price close up and subtracts all volume of day when prices close down, PVT only adds and subtracts portion of volume depending on the extend of movement.

Lets say volume yesterday was 100. Today prices closed up by 10% with volume of 20. Obv would add the volume of 20 to yesterday's volume of 100. SO total volume would be 120. Whereas PVT would add (0.01*20) 2 to yesterday's volume of 100. Basically it is weighing the magnitude of price move. This is precisely why PVT is more accurate and important.

Calculation - PVT is essentially calculated by multiplying day's volume with the price change and finally adding this to cumulative.

(%Change in Price*Volume) + Yesterday's PVT

PVT & MFI

a) MFI is more a momentum indicator and hence has its inherent draw backs like any other momentum indicator. That is, can remain in oversold and overbought regions for many days and hence cannot aid in proper analysis. PVT is more like a price indicator. Visual inspection and inference is more easier and accurate.

b) MFI also does not take into account the price weightage. This is a serious draw back. A day with 5% move with volumes is more significant than a day with 1% movement with volumes. PVT corrects this.

c) In terms of value addition, PVT adds far more value as it is easy to analyze and more meaningful when it comes to market analysis. It does not contain the calculation bias which usual momentum indicator do. That is, on slight change of volume, the reading on MFI can jump from 40-60 without any meaningful interpretation. Similar to the problem faced by RSI.

Hence overall, amongst all PVT stands out the most.
Hi Ruanak Bhai your list of stocks is very very good but I also believe its a contrarian bet on sugar and realty. I think we will see massive gains in real estate stock prices in next year. The profit margins of these companies have started to move up again and companies such as HDIL, Orbit Corp, DLF I believe are very sound. DLF especially has launched 7 New Projects in last 2 months and the rates are very very good the cash flow is generated today although the projects would be finished 2-3 years from now hence the cash flow will be realised in the balance sheet today. I agree with you technically and looking at the price structure it is in pathetic shape. But if we hear the financial news channel and every tom dick harry who buys stock is asking to stay away from this sector.
I would also go as far as to say if Indian economy does well in the long run these would be the stock where you will see maximum appreciation in 2-3 years time as almost every other sector is valued almost perfectly. I believe this sector is undervalued and to get Real estate stocks at P/E of around 12-15 is insanely cheap. This sector in my view has the potential to show outrageous gain if we are in a long term bull market which we will be if we breach 6380. These stocks can zoom 10-15 times from current valuation. I might look like a fool who is advising on buying realty sector when everyone else is ubber bearish on it but I believe the prices are undervalued a book value of 170 for HDIL which means if the company becomes insolvent even today the stock is worth Rs170. A Reliance industry with a limited future growth due to huge amount of cash sitting on balance sheet and not being put to use is valued at 6 times more than the book value.

Now coming back to sugar sector the price of stocks last time sugar was at 29 Cent per pound was around 40-50% higher from current level. In the last quarter the margins of sugar company would have significantly improved because in May when these stocks fell like there is no tomorrow the sugar dropped a whopping 60-65% in the international market thanks mainly to the excessive estimated sugar cane production in India and Brasil. No one counted Pakistan, Pakistan has the best quality of sugar in the world although the production is not very high but still it is a significant sugar producer and in my state in Rajasthan there are huge quantity of sugar being imported from there. However, with floods in Pakistan the sugar production fell and it natually came under control hence the sugar price in the international market rallied back 120% and is back to 28 cent/ lb from 12-14 cent in May-June. .........13.12.10
Contrarian bets involve less of fundamentals and more of intuition. Hence if you see the fundamentals improving and the sectors doing well, you must invest in them. Intuition is very important in Investing and Trading and hence bet with it. Keep SL's though.

I am Bullish about Sugar sector especially on few stocks like Renuka. But realty as of now is something I will avoid.

oilman5

May be on extreme short term, trades would be range bound. But if you take a weekly perspective, we are heading higher. Have been screaming ever since markets were at 5700 that we are not going down. Hence take little longer term call and trade. Since commodities are inching up, expect the rally to be volatile...........14.12.10

First of all good to see someone analyzing companies on these grounds. Keep up with it. Now, the reason I am Bullish on Dish is due to the price structure of stock, increase in FII holding and Business model of the company.

Dish Tv has a business model similar to that of Virgin (UK). The kind of Business that Dish is into, usually has Balance sheets like what you have described. Hence, I am not too much worried about that. So, in case the stock has to collapse to 40 or much lower, it has to go through our stop loss price and hence it will be exited. We were long in Dish since levels of 41 and at our SL of 55, we would still pocket a decent return. Untill then, this stock will continue to head higher.

Here some answers to your questions from outside. Raunak surely will do his part.

If the stock is very volatile, you must give more room to your stop loss.

ATR indicator can be changed.

An inside look how hedge fund manager work. I say it like this : They can see the stop loss levels of the retail traders. So what to do, to bring them out of the market ? This levels are tested as long until the retail traders become afraid and move out of the market. So what next ? As soon as the retail traders are cached, means the funds have hedged all there positions on this levels, they can go long or on the upside, they can go short. Just to give a simple idea, how such levels are traded from the bigger money.

You may ask the big hedge system creator in this forum. He surely can you explain in exactly details, how this fund manager do that in real .

Word on Markets

Everyone at this stage needs to be cautious. Personally, this is the first time in many months that I am looking at the markets with extreme caution. There are certain broad based indicators which are pointing towards this. The way I am trading the market now, I am eagerly watching for the band of 5840-5860. The breach of this band will definitely invite shorts from my end. As of now, I am holding on to my longs. From a traders perspective we also have to be prepared for some whipsaws and false trades. Hence, psychologically close above this band would make me cover my shorts and go long.

Be watchful and trade your plan.
Markets are dynamic. Hence views are always dynamic. I am still Bullish and retaining my longs, but certain indicators like (Leading sector like Bank,Auto doing poorly, defensive sectors like consumption and IT doing better) do make me jittery. This in itself indicates that markets are defensive currently. Hence, I have turned a bit cautious. Not Bearish.

One cannot have a single opinion and stick with it. Adaptability is absolutely critical.
1) For Swing trading, you are selecting the right kind of stocks. You need stocks which are volatile and you certainly don't need stocks like NTPC,HUL etc.

2) From the look of it, you are struggling to keep up with Volatility. If that's the case, then you need to get your psychological make up correct for Swing trading. There is no getting away with Volatility when you need to Swing Trade. Hence ask yourself if you are a Swing trader. Don't just do it because I am successful with it. Swing trading is difficult.

3) ATR is not for short term trades. Atleast not for me. Hence, your stop's need to be according to what you see on charts. Look at Pivot points, other uncommon support and resistances. ATR in swing trades can be looked for Targets. But certainly not for stops. For short term targets you can look at a stock moving 2 or 3 times the ATR.

I won't be on TJ for sometime now. Our yearly target was achieved today and hence will be closing the accounts on Monday - Tuesday for this year. I am going for a vacation and will be back sometime in January. I'll try and devote time here, but the fact is that during the last one month, I have hardly been able to devote any time to TJ. Anyway, for all those who have done well this year, congratulations to you guys. For all those willing to do well next year, be resolute and make it a point to learn.

Self inspection in life is very important. Hence, before you go to sleep, close your eyes and ask yourself whether you know how to make money. In my opinion, there are two kind of market players; one who earn on 'Will' of themselves and others who earn on the 'Will' of others. If you fall in the latter category, you will never succeed in the long run. Trust me on that. The problem is, many of you don't want to read this. You'll be happy as far as your account is getting filled. This is precisely why self inspection is so important. The answer lies within you, if you search for it.

The reality of trading industry is that very few people actually reveal how to make money. Most of the experts either evade the questions or reveal only limited information in seminars/training etc. This in my opinion is not wrong. What is wrong is that unsuccessful traders expect the successful one's to reveal their method. Successful traders do reveal limited information which is enough for smart traders to latch upon and build something substantial. And I feel this is how it should be. And this is something which I have always done.

The correct way to approach the market is not to ask someone to show you the way. But it is for you to find what your mind leads you to. If I were to be believed, then making money in markets is only a state of mind. Nothing more and nothing less.

Many of you (Apurv, Rahul,VJAY, Gangadharan, Alroyraj, Amin, Jagan, Crown, Gauhar, Nimish and others) are already nearing success. I hope some of you are realizing that. You need to push forward and trust your instincts. Take the leap forward and see what happens next.

@Alroyraj - You have very good grasping power. And you have the ability to read in between the lines to get the actual crux. I don't know whether you have become a self sustaining trader by now. If yes, then please pardon me for posting this. Else, let me tell you that you are not far away.

@VJAY & Rahul - You guys have been learning for sometime now. I don't see why you should not be able to make it on your own. Try and give it a shot. Trading on your OWN.

@Gauhar - You have the eagerness to learn. But more than that you have the eagerness to make lot of quick money. I have told you before, and I will repeat it, you need a plan and you need to stick to it. Be patient my dear.

@Nimish - You are one trader here who knows how to integrate macro economic stuff into trading action. Problem with you is that you don't fully believe in yourself. You have the basics in place and you need to trust your instincts now.

@Jagan & Gangadharan - Jagan, you are patient and are working towards a plan. This is the right approach. The good thing about you is that you think logically. Keep working towards your plan and soon you should be where you want to be. Gangadharan, I have no doubt that you will succeed. Your attitude towards trading is the one every trader should have. Keep up with it.

@Amin and Apurv - I have interacted with you guys the most. Both on & off the forum. Hence, I have already told you what you guys need to do. Amin, you in particular have been very patient and have chosen the right track to get educated first. You will succeed. Just keep up with the good work. Apurv dear, what should I tell you. You and your MDP will simply rock going forward.

@Crown - I like that you have an approach of following your own trades. I simply adore that. The power of one's mind is simply unbelievable and I think you are trying to explore that. Good luck with it.

Just my observation on some of you guys here. Hope I have not hurt any sentiments. Its all in good spirit.
.........................................................Your way of analyzing is different than most of the members on TJ. Hence always seek to you for advice or understand answer to the question in my mind. Most important thing learned with you to creat mindset for trader which need to be strenghten further.

Plan for next year is....
1. Take out good points from various system which I have tried.
2. Develop OWN system which will suit my personality.
3. Start documentation of every trade. (This was missing... but started from Dec) & Review it weekly/monthly basis. Clearly mention lesson learnt during week/month to fine tune system.

oilman5

This work of Raunak is copy pasted...........to hold its essence...of the best discreationary trader available in traderji.............sometimes dt r given to correlate with chart.........most analysis r of exceptionally high callibre with adaptabilty in volatile market condition.
Kudos to Raunak...........and other boarders of traderji.

CASPER

And i have made a book of it .....

Did very little of formatting i.e removing more than 1 blank line, extra spaces at some pages, Font, AND ......( Apologies for the same ), Yet the book runs to 463 pages .

Have managed to read 180+ pages and now .....:fatigue:...:fatigue:..,..... But Will continue..,

Hope this would be useful to those who visit TJ .

Below is the link ,

"http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/xxxxxxx/sharing.html?rnd=65"

Those who wish to access please replace "xxxxxxx" with YK9MAV61,

Best Wishes,
Nithin

Status
Not open for further replies.