My fatal affair with the market

rajhc

Hi,

Well I am knew to this forum and really find the threads on this site extremely useful. My affair with the Indian Market started late 2007. I had some money, put it in a mutual fund and saw a return of 40 % in 2 months!!! So i thought to myself i should get in, in a big way, and that was the beginning of my end... So i started doing alot of research based solely on fundamentals (i am a business major so i understand a balance sheet pretty well) and invested all my savings in stocks. And in Jan 2008 (not even 3months into my investing) the market tanks!!! So i think this is a good thing like what happened in 2006 and i invested more...It tanked again!! i kept on investing....Then i just stayed out of the market for all of 2008...

Then one fine day my broker calls me around nov. 2008 and says I should do some futures trading using my existing folio as margin...I said no I dont want anything to do with futures and intraday, i have heard enuff horror stories regarding the two...But he was persuasive and started giving me some sample recommendations after one week he showed that if i would have followed his recommendations i would have made a nice profit...So the next week i let him loose and he started trading for me with my consent on every intra-day entry and exit...Low and behold i made a nice little profit by the end of the week...I was impressed but i did not like the idea of just executing someone else's recommendations like some zombie, and i realized he must be using some sophisticated form of Technical Analysis. So I thought why not do what he is doing but using my own analysis. And in two months i made a HUGE HUGE HUGE Profit (using simple moving average divergence)...This is where i got screwed. i made such a huge profit that i upped my stakes from 100-500 lots of nifty at any given time to straight 1000-1500 lots...Guess what i lost everything and a whole lot more!!!! My worst mistake was that even though i placed stop losses, when the price would near it i took it out.

The market was trading sideways for a while, and i thought what's the use of the stop loss when the price will comeback if not today then by tomorrow and if not by tomorrow then by next week...But as fate would have it the market made its biggest rally in history!!! I got *&#@ed big time.

I have decided to really sharpen my TA skills which is what led me to this site. I hope with the knowledge on this site i can become a more disciplined and profitable trader...

Thanks to whoever had the patience to read my post

Raj

ag_fx

Hi,

Well I am knew to this forum and really find the threads on this site extremely useful. My affair with the Indian Market started late 2007. I had some money, put it in a mutual fund and saw a return of 40 % in 2 months!!! So i thought to myself i should get in, in a big way, and that was the beginning of my end... So i started doing alot of research based solely on fundamentals (i am a business major so i understand a balance sheet pretty well) and invested all my savings in stocks. And in Jan 2008 (not even 3months into my investing) the market tanks!!! So i think this is a good thing like what happened in 2006 and i invested more...It tanked again!! i kept on investing....Then i just stayed out of the market for all of 2008...

Then one fine day my broker calls me around nov. 2008 and says I should do some futures trading using my existing folio as margin...I said no I dont want anything to do with futures and intraday, i have heard enuff horror stories regarding the two...But he was persuasive and started giving me some sample recommendations after one week he showed that if i would have followed his recommendations i would have made a nice profit...So the next week i let him loose and he started trading for me with my consent on every intra-day entry and exit...Low and behold i made a nice little profit by the end of the week...I was impressed but i did not like the idea of just executing someone else's recommendations like some zombie, and i realized he must be using some sophisticated form of Technical Analysis. So I thought why not do what he is doing but using my own analysis. And in two months i made a HUGE HUGE HUGE Profit (using simple moving average divergence)...This is where i got screwed. i made such a huge profit that i upped my stakes from 100-500 lots of nifty at any given time to straight 1000-1500 lots...Guess what i lost everything and a whole lot more!!!! My worst mistake was that even though i placed stop losses, when the price would near it i took it out.

The market was trading sideways for a while, and i thought what's the use of the stop loss when the price will comeback if not today then by tomorrow and if not by tomorrow then by next week...But as fate would have it the market made its biggest rally in history!!! I got *&#@ed big time.

I have decided to really sharpen my TA skills which is what led me to this site. I hope with the knowledge on this site i can become a more disciplined and profitable trader...

Thanks to whoever had the patience to read my post

Raj

Welcome to the forum Raj. You story is a lot similar like stories of many newbies who started here and have helped themselves in becoming a better trader.
I wish you luck with all the learning and Trading

Happy Trading

Dear Rajhc,

I dont know what is your present financial position, after loosing a huge qty of amount in market. If you want to continue in the market for long time and still having sufficient funds, I sujjest you forget the market sometime and study some good technical analysis books. Only studying some threads is not suuficient. I think most of the members are having some knowledge before joining in the thread. I am giving some very good book names for your reference
01. Come in to my trading room
02. 7 habits trader
03. richard smitthen - trade like jesse livermore
04. Stan Weinstein - Secrets For Profiting In Bull And Bear Markets
05. technical analysis explained
06. Technical Analysis for short term traders - Martin Pring
07. Trading eBook - Trade Your Way To Financial Freedom
- With Comments - Van K Tharp
08. thomas n. bulkowski - encyclopedia of chart patterns
09. steve nison - japanese candlestick charting techniques
10. Elder Alexander - Entries And Exits
11. Technical Analysis of the Finacial Markets

I know i have given a big list, but i have selected top 10 trading books for you. It is essential to study. It will give 10 years knowledge in two to three months. So afterwards you should come to know how to prepare your own system and how to trade without emotional and with money management principles.

rajhc

@vijaykishorebabu and @engineman...

Thanks fellas, i will look into the books. Wow i did not expect anyone to respond, this really seems like it will be a helpful forum...