Monthly income for Widowed lady

umeshmandal

What about if she gets married again and find a man who supports here? Many widows do this and so this is no joke.
Hmmm, I nice suggestion but in India this does not work out usually ! As a general trend, widows at this age themsleves do not wish to remarry and I have known families going against it if some old widows suggested this ! Most of the families who do not agree have but one argument : What will the people say!?
Though remarriage of widows is no longer a pariah or unacceptable , remarriage of a widow is socially accepted now in majority of the society but the age seems to be a deterrent! :eek:

Hmmm, I nice suggestion but in India this does not work out usually ! As a general trend, widows at this age themsleves do not wish to remarry and I have known families going against it if some old widows suggested this ! Most of the families who do not agree have but one argument : What will the people say!?
Though remarriage of widows is no longer a pariah or unacceptable , remarriage of a widow is socially accepted now in majority of the society but the age seems to be a deterrent! :eek:
Ok, I see. Still: 57 is no age and there are woman's around with 57 they even look WOW and are as nice and lovely as many younger woman's. But as you say: Different cultures do the limit in many cases just because of the rules all the different cultures dictate there people in different ways.

Wish the widow only the best for her future. Dan

TracerBullet

Understand inflation. Expense will not be 10-15k in future. As much as possible, only withdraw the approx real interest rate that you are getting ( interest - inflation). Otherwise, it will be a losing battle in the long run. 22L may not be enough. If possible, try to find her some sort of hobby job that could supplement her income. Perhaps a paying guest?

There are some Debt MFs that you can also consider. You can pick accrual based ones that dont take High duration risks. There are funds with portfolio yields of 9-12% that will also give some extra returns when interest rate falls. Yields will change with time ofc but hopefully we will remain in a positive real interest rate scenario as RBI has indicated.

For money that is not needed for 5-10 years - Atleast put some signification portion in diversified Equity / balanced Funds. That is the best bet to beat inflation. Invest using SIP only and invest using Direct funds and for Equity only choose funds with long record of good performance.

I am also all for fixed deposits and mutual funds for the rest, that way is not playable things to work with anyway for whatever reason out there, I assume we really can test it out if anything really being done. Her age is not something to play with anyway.