How to put Stop loss? Please guide me

Hello,

I am a kind of investor who buys some stocks in cash market and forgets it in my busy life, then when I have time I watch my stock movement, if in profit then I sell it.

I know putting stop loss is important, but I could not do it in ICICIdirect and Geojit accounts. Couple of times I manage to put the stop loss, immediatate it was sold at the market price. I am totally confused, since then I stopped it.

1) My question is Do we have to put the stop loss while we buy the stock, or we can put stop loss any time after we purchase a stock?

2) If we can put a stop loss for a stock in Portfolio anytime, how do I do it in Geojit and ICICIdirect? Please guide me.

Thanks.

rajeabc

Hello,

I am a kind of investor who buys some stocks in cash market and forgets it in my busy life, then when I have time I watch my stock movement, if in profit then I sell it.

I know putting stop loss is important, but I could not do it in ICICIdirect and Geojit accounts. Couple of times I manage to put the stop loss, immediatate it was sold at the market price. I am totally confused, since then I stopped it.

1) My question is Do we have to put the stop loss while we buy the stock, or we can put stop loss any time after we purchase a stock?

2) If we can put a stop loss for a stock in Portfolio anytime, how do I do it in Geojit and ICICIdirect? Please guide me.

Thanks.
Below is how it works on ICICIDIRECT. I have not used it for deliverybased but used it for Intraday. Try with few Qnty.
You will have to do it daily , I guess , as order only valid for the day.

Below is how it works on ICICIDIRECT. I have not used it for deliverybased but used it for Intraday. Try with few Qnty.

rajeabc,

Thanks for your reply and snapshot.

Are you sure it is daily basis? I don't think the investors can visit their trading account and put a stoploss every day. My understand is it is a standing instruction till it triggers or you sell it.

For delivery based I don't think the validity is one day. It doesn't make any sense.

My question is while buying I should put stop loss?

Can I put a stop loss any time after purchase?

columbus

For putting stoploss order ,CMP(current market price) plays an important role.
After buying at 100/- an sell order like Target=105 & stoploss=98 is valid.
Say after time CMP moves to 104/-.Then order like Target=105 Stoploss=103
is valid.But in the begining we can not have a order like Target=105
Stoploss=103.(In that case both Target & Stoploss are on same side of CMP)
This guarantee you a profit of 103-100=3 ,even in worst case.

If my understanding of SL is wrong ,please correct me.

murthymsr

Hello,

It is not clear whether you want to sell the stock same day, next day & in later days. For next day and later days, the procedure is more or less the same.

Others have already covered the aspect of selling on the same day. So I touch upon the other option(s).

SEBI permits only GTD (Good Till Day) orders. Any order placed on a day is canceled at the end of trading, if not executed.

So you have to place the sell order again and again every day till execution. However, you can place 'After Market Orders' for execution at your leisure time for the next trading session. Again these orders will be canceled if not executed on the trading day.

ICICI and many brokers facilitate trading on mobile and you may have some alert facility to remind you on achieving the price targets for the stocks you are in or to alert you on an opposite move resulting in a loss.

Hope this info is useful.
murthymsr