How to get Intraday Quotes using Medved Quotetracker for FREE

Murthymsr, been quite some time -- feels good to hear from you.

I have not used AB/QT in the way you have described; so may not be able to answer your queries or help specifically. However, some notings follow.

1a. It would have been ideal to get historical EOD data from QT itself. A portfolio, with all NSE symbols, could be created in QT and historical data update done for that portfolio at the end of the trading day. But I have not been successful in achieving this and have not asked QT support either.

1b. The downside to using QT's historical EOD, if possible, would have been that one could not split/bonus adjust the data in AB as it may likely get overwritten.

2a. It does not seem possible to delete intraday data that is currently cached in QT. After deletion via the Quote Editor, the data refreshes from QT. This is the case where Local Data Storage is disabled in AB.

2b. If Local Data Storage is enabled, deletion of intraday quotes is possible and they do not get refreshed from QT. You could toggle this on/off and experiment. The recommended way to delete a set of quotes is to mark a start time/end time and use Edit -> Delete Session to delete all quotes for all symbols for this time period -- however, this did not work for me (AB 4.90).

2c. What I used to do was use QT to update for the day. Since QT often misses the open/high/lows, this data could not be a reference, At end-of-day, I would manually delete quotes (all the QT updated symbols were in favourites), and then import 1-min data from investbulls. You would also need some grouping of the QT sourced symbols as the bhavcopy symbols would be a superset.

3a. Getting EOD data in via the GetBhavCopy route appears okay in theory. Since the intention behind mixed mode was possibly aimed at the same data source providing both, the one tripper in practise could be time offsets since EOD data is not time-stamped. You would have to check this out. An alternate is to write a small utility to time-stamp the GetBhavcopy data.

3b. You would have to first delete previous days quotes first (with local storage enabled), then import bhavcopy data. Do not know of any other way to do this.

3c. Are you only going to run indicators/explorations on a daily timeframe only? If not, 5 min indicators would need previous day's intraday values, specially near start of day.

As said at the outset, have not used AB this way. Let us know how your experiment goes.

ksesha

Murali,

Thanks for the excellent writeup. Will you please let me know how to scan/screen for indicators like stoch cross, mscd cross etc from my portfolio.

Regards
Sesha

Dear Baji and friends,

You do not need any separate file to install "QuoteTracker". I have used it a long time ago, when I could get NSE data, but after a break, I got to install it 2 days back. It was not possible for me to get the NSE data. But after a couple of web updates, I could see the intraday data today.

QuoteTracker Installation for NSE India Real-Time (Free) Intraday quotes of your Portfolio.

The data download rate could be every 1 second interval. Default is every 60 seconds. Plotting resolution is every 2 min (Default).

I have used it for "FCharts SE (Free)" and also "FCharts Pro".

Thanks to Simon www.spacejock.com. It is a great "White box" software, not only for trading analysis but also for learning the trade.

1. Dowload and save to your computer, "qtsetup.exe" by providing your valid email id from http://www.quotetracker.com/download.asp. The latest version is QUOTETRACKER 3.9.8 (September 23, 2010).
2. Install the file.
3. After installation, go to "Options" on the top menu and choose "web update", just in case. All the quote sources (paid and free) will be listed and "selected".
4. To start with "Deselect all" and go through carefully to find "NsE India Real-Time (Free)" "NSE login script" Index feeds etc. and other program updates, if any. (Program updates are, any way, notified, sooner or later, if you are online and if available). Complete the task.
5. Select again "Options" at the top and go to "Data Sources/ Quote Sources".
In the menu banner, In the first option "Quotes", in the "Site [--Please select a quote source--]" field below there is a pull down arrow for the sources menu on the right.
Choose "NSE India Real-Time (Free)".
Check the "Active" field to default for Timings and Days.
Other options- Check "Always use System Time for Quotes" and
"Use Prev. Close to calculate Change".
In the second opiton "Level II" is not useable.
In the third option "Indices", in "Index Quote Source site: [--Please select the Index Quote Source--]", select "NSE India (Free)". On the right white panel check "BANK NIFTY (CNXBANK)" and/or "CNX 100 (CNX 100)" and/or "CNX IT (CNXIT)" and/or "CNX MIDCAP (CNXMIDCAP)" and/or "CNX NIFTY JUNIOR (JRNIFTY)" and/or "NIFTY MIDCAP 50 (NIFTYMIDCAP50)" and/or "S&P CNX 500 (CNX500)" and/or "S&P CNX DEFTY (DEFTY)" and/or "S&P CNX NIFTY (NIFTY)".
Check "Display" radio button to "Extended" or "brief".
Check the Time Zone (Which is automatically detected during installation) "TZ: India".
"Active: check "default" (09:00AM to 03:40PM), Mon-Fri. You can "Set the Display Order" on the banner.
Fourth option "News" and fifth option "Backfill" are not usable.
Sixth option "Hist. Backfill" set the site to "NSE India (Free)".
Seventh, "Trading" option may not be useful (I do not know).
Eighth is a matter of your access to internet, if it is through a proxy. In that case check "Use Proxy settings already entered in Microsoft Internet Explorer".
6. In the last "Preferences" banner, you can shift "NSE India Real-Time (Free) and "WalletWatch India Real-Time (Free)" to be excluded in the drop down menu in the main screen, for future choices. More may get added during updates. That is done during version checks during updates.

Long time back even MCX India used to provide data. It is not seen any longer. Any information for MCX real time data or for that matter EoD in usable form for "FCharts Pro", which I am using.

Note: I am not an active trader. Just latched on to get the hang of things.

All the very best for great money making. Take care.

Regards
drmurli

murthymsr

Murthymsr, been quite some time -- feels good to hear from you.
Thanks. My visits to TJ have come down recently as I was busy otherwise.

I have not used AB/QT in the way you have described; so may not be able to answer your queries or help specifically. However, some notings follow.

1a. It would have been ideal to get historical EOD data from QT itself. A portfolio, with all NSE symbols, could be created in QT and historical data update done for that portfolio at the end of the trading day. But I have not been successful in achieving this and have not asked QT support either.

1b. The downside to using QT's historical EOD, if possible, would have been that one could not split/bonus adjust the data in AB as it may likely get overwritten.
I was not successful in getting NSE EOD data into QT. Though I got them from yahoo, I do not prefer yahoo EOD data. My QT version is a free one. In my opinion, as splits cannot be adjusted in QT, viewing EOD charts in QT is of very limited use.

2a. It does not seem possible to delete intraday data that is currently cached in QT. After deletion via the Quote Editor, the data refreshes from QT. This is the case where Local Data Storage is disabled in AB.

2b. If Local Data Storage is enabled, deletion of intraday quotes is possible and they do not get refreshed from QT. You could toggle this on/off and experiment. The recommended way to delete a set of quotes is to mark a start time/end time and use Edit -> Delete Session to delete all quotes for all symbols for this time period -- however, this did not work for me (AB 4.90).

2c. What I used to do was use QT to update for the day. Since QT often misses the open/high/lows, this data could not be a reference, At end-of-day, I would manually delete quotes (all the QT updated symbols were in favourites), and then import 1-min data from investbulls. You would also need some grouping of the QT sourced symbols as the bhavcopy symbols would be a superset.
This is the area where I have to do some trials, some thing like:

Every evening to do:
1) Disable local data storage.
2) Flush intraday data.
3)Import EOD data for that day.
4) Re-enable local data storage.

3a. Getting EOD data in via the GetBhavCopy route appears okay in theory. Since the intention behind mixed mode was possibly aimed at the same data source providing both, the one tripper in practise could be time offsets since EOD data is not time-stamped. You would have to check this out. An alternate is to write a small utility to time-stamp the GetBhavcopy data.

3b. You would have to first delete previous days quotes first (with local storage enabled), then import bhavcopy data. Do not know of any other way to do this.
The EOD data of GBC and other EOD data downloaders is only data stamped (like YYYYMMDD) and not time stamped, where as intraday data from QT is time stamped. I have to look into whether AB, in daily mode, will generate the last bar (current day's bar) with OHLCV data for the entire day upto 'that minute'. The last bar will be changing every minute based on intraday data. This is what was indicated in the first link given by me in my earlier post.

3c. Are you only going to run indicators/explorations on a daily timeframe only? If not, 5 min indicators would need previous day's intraday values, specially near start of day.
Yes in daily time frame only by selecting the daily mode. But I think, I can run other AFL's coded for intraday 1 Min mode also, as the database is a common one. Of course, intraday mode AFL's work with only the current days data as the previous day's intraday data is deleted.

As said at the outset, have not used AB this way. Let us know how your experiment goes.
I must thank you again for your thought provoking response for my query and in such a short time.

I will experiment with my concept and will revert when some thing useful comes out.

Regards.
murthymsr

Last edited:
QuoteTracker not updating NSE Data from 30-May-2011

Hi All,

Today, my QT setup failed to update data from NSE. I have tried connecting on different setups. I have mailed QT Support for help...Just wondering if anybody else is facing this issue?

Thanks and with regards,
Raghu