Faster Win-XP Boot up and improve PC performance

Dear PK ji;
Many thanks for the article.
It is comprenshive & useful.

Further, I am facing trouble in opening yahoo inbox/mail. Even after succesful login many times the mail won't open or page hangs up. I cleared cookies & temp files many times but no use. (My system-Win Xp SP1/ avg/zone alarm.). Yahoo messenger works fine.
Please advice.

pkjha30

OH what an effort.
Thanx for writing.

Already doing all the things except following.

CPU priority : I don't believe in doing this.

Disk Defrag : I have noticed slower response from system & increased disk activity after doing this. It does exactly opposite of it's intentions. Please check out individually.

Bootvis : I'll definitely try thanx for it.

pagefile.sys : Please share the reason behind it.

Regards

Omkar:)

Last edited:

kkseal

Removing pagefile.sys will remove virtual memory. Be careful of doing this if you have less than 512Mb RAM.

Regards,
Kalyan.

pkjha30

hi OM and kkseal

cpu priority is system setting made available through control panel. It decides whether programmes will be given priority or services.As we are mostly using programmes that priority will improve response of your programmes. Its upto you to use default.

with Windows defrag, this you might have noticed but with advanced programme you can configure as outlined for ultimate defrag and you will notice improvement. But must be performed only after other things listed above it is completed.
(if directories are consolidated, disk thrashing is reduced. and if they are put near MFT access time and seek time is reduced)

kkseal You are right. Less than 1024 i.e. keep your pagefile.sys.

But you may go through the process of deleting it and defrag HDD then recreate it.

The reason behind it is that being a system file, it is locked by windows os. It is virtual memory and gets defragmented and also placed somewhere in the middle. So there will not be proper defragmentation of HDD. If you remove pagefile.sys by the procedure as outlined and then do defrag, consolidation will take place. There after if you again set size of pagefile it will be automatically recreated. here you can set optimum size which is twice the RAM.

There is another setting which helps actual placement of pagefile.sys at the begining of second HDD. But that is for advanced user. The procedure outlined above will give huge improvement.

Above 1024 bm RAM you can safely delete pagefile.sys as all windows and program files will be loaded into RAM and access will be faster. With three or four programmes running I never get my RAM filled more than 800 MB so remaining RAM is available.

If pagefile.sys is present window will shift many files to it if not used, though the programme is open and oodles of RAM is available. If you switch suddenly you will notice delay and disk activity.

You can use cachemem and freeramXp for RAM optimisation and defrag(done transparently). Here also with more RAM you will notice better performance.

If you want to keep pagefile.sys( at least for those having less than 1024 MB RAM) use pagedefrag given by microsoft.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/pagedefrag.mspx
Download here. http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/PageDefrag.zip
It will optimize page file and improve speed. I did not tell about this as it is little more technical.

I hope this clears the doubt.

There is one more thing I would like to tell.
If you are running windows and installing or deleting softwares it will create restore points before these events in addition to scheduled restore creation. Over a period you will notice that windows folder is bloated. That will reduce the speed. i

If you have run the windows smoothly after install of new programme for about a week or so you can safely delete all restore points but the last one.This option can be availed by right clicking C: drive (winxp os drive)
>>properties>>Disk Cleanup>>More Options>>System restore: Clean Up button.

Do this only if you don't want to go back to old state.

Hope all this help you.
Ensure power is uninterrupted during whole procees and at least 20 minutes back up is available to pause and shutdown.

Pankaj:)

pkjha30

Hi pankaj
I tried this but it is not working. I do not know why. It is telling bad command. Can you guide us further. The other softwares which you suggested are very good at their tasks. Thank you for the good suggestions.
gvnarendra
Hi narendra

which command is not working ?

cd C:\ in command prompt should work

attr

del C:\pagefile.sys also should work (Read the previous post first)

check the image below.

Pankaj :)

Last edited:

pkjha30

Dear PK ji;
Many thanks for the article.
It is comprenshive & useful.

Further, I am facing trouble in opening yahoo inbox/mail. Even after succesful login many times the mail won't open or page hangs up. I cleared cookies & temp files many times but no use. (My system-Win Xp SP1/ avg/zone alarm.). Yahoo messenger works fine.
Please advice.
Hi

I notice that you use zone alarm. open its control panel and check if any page related to yahoo is being blocked. There will be big redcrossed circle sign besides the name of page or program. Clear it.

You may use cCleaner and also . enable cookies to login to yahoo sites.

pankaj :)

Last edited:

pkjha30

Dear Pankaj,
Thanx

if you was professor when I studied, I would love to attend your class.:)

I have clarified my first post in "Norton Goback thread". Please have a look.
http://www.traderji.com/117614-post2.html

Dear Kalyan,
Thank you for quick warning.

Regards
Omkar:)
Hi Omkar

lol :)

What I wrote above is the sequence of actions got almost after lot of trial and error in my attempt to tune winxp. Most of the ideas are on the internet and many users don't try for the fear of it.I chose to tell only those ideas which resulted in surprising improvements.

Utility of norton go back or such other software can not be denied.XP has such features built in if used properly does exactly same. Vista has still more advanced functions on system restore.

XP firewall and Windows defender serves common user well.

But of course specialized softwares have its own advantage.

http://www.traderji.com/images/editor/color.gif
http://www.traderji.com/images/editor/color.gif

Hi

I notice that you use zone alarm. open its control panel and check if any page related to yahoo is being blocked. There will be big redcrossed circle sign besides the name of page or program. Clear it.

You may use cCleaner and also . enable cookies to login to yahoo sites.

pankaj :)
Dear sir;
Zone alarm is already configured to allow yahoo. cookies enabled, i used Regcleaner,Startup inspector & CcCleaner as u mentioned in ur previuos posts BUT no use. There is no help from yahoo also.
regards..

pkjha30

Dear sir;
Zone alarm is already configured to allow yahoo. cookies enabled, i used Regcleaner,Startup inspector & CcCleaner as u mentioned in ur previuos posts BUT no use. There is no help from yahoo also.
regards..
Hi

try to login from some other computer to rule out problem in your computer.

Pankaj :)