Collar strategy for Nifty future

Hi
For the first trade i booked the profit of 100 points. After that I was in hesitation to take short position so I bought Jan800 CE & PE @ 248.95 & 121.65 respectively.Till now I am in profit I don't know what you call this strategy in technical terms. Rather I would like to ask you that what is the better way to take the position in this kind of situation, where market may go on any side? Is there is any kind of collar strategy for this?
Thanks & regards.
Hi

Well, it is a long Nifty 8000 Jan Straddle. Long Straddle as you are long put and call from the same strike level with the same expiry. What was the deeper reason for the 8000 strike level (Any chart tool or any option tool or both)?

Regarding to your question:

Part one: A long straddle implemented on the right level (It is not needed to do them as told in the book atm) does the job very well, as you see by your self. Margin is non, as you are long both legs. There are quit many option strategies you can implement to play both sides. But handling one of those option strategies to its best with good MM and knowing the BE on each side, is good enough to make money constantly over time.

Now if you want to take a bit more risk, then you can leg into the straddle. So first you would be directional and later you add the other leg with the same strike level and expiry. Not recommended for beginners nor unexperienced option traders as good TA or PA skills are needed plus adjustment strategies in case market goes against us.

Part two: If you want to play both sides, there is no such "Collar", not even modified, as you are always only on one side can have any limited profit. So you must act with leg in and out like the link I sent you. That collar was converted into more or less a pure long leg (Very simple spoken). PP around 50/50 and absolute directional.

Hope that serves your question to a certain level for the moment. Dan / :)

Hi
For the first trade i booked the profit of 100 points. After that I was in hesitation to take short position so I bought Jan800 CE & PE @ 248.95 & 121.65 respectively.Till now I am in profit I don't know what you call this strategy in technical terms.Rather I would like to ask you that what is the better way to take the position in this kind of situation, where market may go on any side? Is there is any kind of collar strategy for this?
Thanks & regards.
Yeah this is a long straddle and will give profits if markets trends in any direction during the month. The more it trends in one direction, the larger the profits.

Cheers
SH

hmp

Yeah this is a long straddle and will give profits if markets trends in any direction during the month. The more it trends in one direction, the larger the profits.

Cheers
SH
Today ce closed @ 440 & PE @ 34.70.Tomorrow hopefully market may open in positive side.I would like to preserve my profit so how to do it?Where should i keep my trailing stop in such case?
Thanks & regards.

Last edited:
Today ce closed @ 440 & PE @ 34.70.Tomorrow hopefully market may open in positive side.I would like to preserve my profit so how to do it?Where should i keep my trailing stop in such case?
Thanks & regards.
Yes - one way is to keep a railing SL .... NF trailing SL for futures is a close below 8250

If you are nervous, to hedge, you can wind up 8000 PE (loss of 87 points) and buy 8400 PE instead (currently trading at 121). This was you will make this trade with max risk 55 points. Till the time Nifty expires above 8350, you will walk away with profits. Profit potential in limitless.

Cheers
SH

@Hmp

How did your trade end? Did you take the Dec 8400 put and if so, why? as there would have been better ways to act, regardless what market did today. What was your profit in the end with your call leg?

Happy Christmas / Dan :)

hmp

@Hmp

How did your trade end? Did you take the Dec 8400 put and if so, why? as there would have been better ways to act, regardless what market did today. What was your profit in the end with your call leg?

Happy Christmas / Dan :)
Hi, here is my trading detail
17 DEC 14
1) Bought jan Month put Option ( Jan.8000 PE) @ 121.65----45.50 (- 76.15)

2) Bought jan Month call Option ( Jan.8000 CE) @ 248.95----449.00(+ 200.05)

Square up PE @ 45.5 & CE @ 449.00 on 23 Dec14.

Profit : + 123.90 points per lot.
Thanks & regards

hmp

26DEC 14
1) Bought 1 lot jan. Month put Option ( Jan.8200 PE) @ 130.65---- now @ 36.10 (- 94.55)

2) Bought 1 lot jan. Month call Option ( Jan.8200 CE) @ 162.00----now @ 298.00 ( + 136.00)

Position still hold.
Regards.

hmp

26DEC 14
1) Bought 1 lot jan. Month put Option ( Jan.8200 PE) @ 130.65---- now @ 36.10 (- 94.55)

2) Bought 1 lot jan. Month call Option ( Jan.8200 CE) @ 162.00----now @ 298.00 ( + 136.00)

Position still hold.
Regards.
1) While adopting this strategy i was not so sure about market direction.But now i feel that applying collar strategy would have been proper way?
2) Monday i am thinking of securing profit by keeping trailing stop on my profitable leg while keeping small stop on my other leg.This way i can secure and able to extract more profit in case of reversal.
Comments on my both view pl.
Regards.

1) While adopting this strategy i was not so sure about market direction.But now i feel that applying collar strategy would have been proper way?
2) Monday i am thinking of securing profit by keeping trailing stop on my profitable leg while keeping small stop on my other leg.This way i can secure and able to extract more profit in case of reversal.
Comments on my both view pl.
Regards.
Hi Hmp

If you want to play a "Collar" you still can do it now. Your long 8200 "Straddle" has no loss nor any profit at this moment in case you haven't done any thing until now http://i57.tinypic.com/2lbdz47.png :) If any of your stop loss levels have been triggered on the call side, you probably are now long the put. Still, you can add the call leg again and do the future leg and here we go.

Take care / Dan :)

hmp

Hi Hmp

If you want to play a "Collar" you still can do it now. Your long 8200 "Straddle" has no loss nor any profit at this moment in case you haven't done any thing until now http://i57.tinypic.com/2lbdz47.png :) If any of your stop loss levels have been triggered on the call side, you probably are now long the put. Still, you can add the call leg again and do the future leg and here we go.

Take care / Dan :)
Its very late to ask but which future leg you were mentioning? long or short?And if i had to continue which call i was supposed to buy ,atm or 8200 which is same as put?
Thanks & regards.