Building Up A Portfolio At A 7000 Level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

fyi

India Inc growth at 5-quarter low

B G Shirsat / Mumbai July 27, 2007

Other income saves Q1 blushes in early results.

Rising cost of production, coupled with a slowdown in sales growth, pulled down the net profit and revenue growth of Indian companies, except those in financial services, to the slowest in five quarters.

It could have been worse but other income, mainly boosted by exchange rate benefits, provided much-needed respectability.

In the end, as many as 496 companies that have declared their results for the quarter ended June 30 this year have posted a 17.2 per cent rise in sales and 28.4 per cent rise in net profit.

Q1 VITAL STATISTICS
Y-O-Y growth rates (%) Quarter ended June 30
Sales Expenditure Other
Income Net
Profit
Auto ancillaries 17.20 17.10 80.80 20.20
Two-wheeler -0.30 3.00 -2.20 -17.30
Cement 21.30 21.20 201.40 56.80
IT 26.50 29.00 91.30 31.20
Capital goods 29.20 30.30 194.90 40.20
Fertiliser 11.10 9.30 -72.20 -66.10
Pharmaceutical 9.40 10.10 104.20 23.60
Steel 16.50 17.00 208.60 40.50
Number of companies: 496

However, if one were to exclude other income, which grew by 98 per cent, profit growth would fall to a more modest 13.2 per cent. In the previous four quarters, the net profit figure would have shot up if other income was excluded.

The total expenditure of the firms increased 18.3 per cent or 110 basis points higher than the revenue growth of 17.2 per cent. In all the other four quarters, growth in sales was higher by around 100 basis points compared with a rise in total cost of production.

Despite an increase in production costs, operating margins were higher than the three preceding quarters, but were lower year-on-year.

It is early to comment on the quarterly performance as results from oil and gas, oil marketing, automobiles, construction, fast-moving consumer goods, auto ancillaries, textiles and chemicals are still awaited.

The performance of oil marketing companies and automobile firms are likely to disappoint. Fast-moving consumer goods and auto ancillaries firms are likely to see modest growth.

The sectoral trend so far matches market expectations.

Software services companies posted a lower growth rate in sales and profits due to the strengthening rupee. The profit growth rate of cement companies is down 56.8 per cent against 194 per cent in the corresponding period last year. Growth in profit moves down to 27.7 per cent if other income is excluded.

Motorcycle makers sales declined on account of the rising cost of borrowings. Their profits were down 17 per cent owing to a rise in the cost of production and offering freebies to capture market share. The low demand for automobiles affected auto ancillaries, which registered sales growth of 17.2 per cent and profit growth of 20.2 per cent.

Thanks and Regards
Supratik

Hi Supratik,

I'm new to stock markets and I'm trying to create a portfolio for myself. Please provide your inputs on whether this portfolio is balanced with good large and mid caps.

rel pet / ongc
hdfc bank / idfc
rel com / bharti airtel
jp associates / dlf
KEC international / RPG cables
jindal steel and power / hind zinc
mysore cement / prism cement

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

Hi All,

fyi
Research Calls: Godawari Power and Ispat

SI Team / Mumbai July 30, 2007

Reco price: Rs 184
Current market price: Rs 178
Broking firm: IL&FS Invest Smart

Godawari Power and Ispat the manufacturer of sponge iron and steel billets has announced the impressive Q1FY08 results. The company reported 61.5 per cent y-o-y growth in top line and 72.9 per cent y-o-y growth in bottom line. The growth has been driven primarily by higher volume and realisations.

During the same period the operating margins improved by 350 basis points to 20.0 per cent. Going forward, IL&FS expects the company to continue reporting robust growth during FY08-09.

The commissioning of phase-II capacities will drive the growth during FY08, while a significant savings from captive iron ore mines will provide fillip to revenue in FY09E. At Rs 184, the stock is valued at a P/E of 4.2 times and 2.6 times its estimated FY08 and FY09 earnings, respectively.

Deccan Chronicle - Again has beat market expectations. Hold.

Thanks and Regards
Supratik

Hey Supratik
Can we have a view on the sensex and nifty index. I believe things are very uncertain untill we climb over 16k on the sensex. Its more inclined towards the negative as of now.

Hi Supratik,
Can you please clarify what should be our stand on RPG Cables as it has come down to around 49 levels from the 54 levels.Should we hold it for the target of 87, brushing aside the present downfall?

Thanks
Shanmuganathan

What Next after todays FALL Mr. Supratik
If this trend contineus for this weak end Me may get some Good Buy Levels for Fundamentally good Stocks, I think You Should start another thread with Heading Portfolio @ 10000/-

What Say?

Regards

What Next after todays FALL Mr. Supratik
If this trend contineus for this weak end Me may get some Good Buy Levels for Fundamentally good Stocks, I think You Should start another thread with Heading Portfolio @ 10000/-

What Say?

Regards
I don't know Supratik's response for this.
But, if you ask me, we should never try to predict the market.
Sensex went down 500+ points on Monday, came up 200+ points on Tuesday and again down 600+ points today!
I don't know if anybody could have predicted this.
You must understand why this is happening.
The main reason for this is the global cues and concern about US economy.
If you can answer how the global cues will behave tomorrow and what will happen to US economy in next 6 months to 1 year, then we can answer your question.

Instead of spending time in predicting the market movements, keep tabs on good scrips and look at them when the market goes down.
See if it is available at a good bargain. If that is so, then buy it and keep it with you. Even if it corrects further in the coming days, chances of it moving back to previous highs will be more.

If all your money is already invested and nobody to buy anything now, then the only option is to pray for better days and wait ;)

-Narendra

Hi All,

Govt proposes Rs 1,000cr polysilicon facility

BS Reporter / Bangalore August 01, 2007

In an effort to boost solar cell and semiconductor manufacturing in the country, a proposal to set up a 2,500 tonne polysilicon facility, has been proposed under the 11th Five Year Plan by the office of the principal scientific advisor to the government.

The location of the polysilicon facility will be selected by the stakeholders of the project, which is estimated to attract Rs 1,000 crore investment, from private and public sectors.

"Worldwide, there is an acute shortage of silicon and the waiting period for this material has gone up to two years. India needs solar cells in a big way to meet the energy requirements in the coming years. This planned poly silicon facility will provide impetus to the solar energy sector and semiconductor industry,"
R Chidambaram, principal scientific advisor, central government, said after presenting the India Semiconductor Association's Technovation Awards.

He said climatic changes forced countries to opt for alternative energy production mechanisms. "Consequently, the demand for silicon, the primary raw material for solar cell manufacturing, has gone up. We want a dedicated poly silicon facility for the country's requirements. Once approved, the facility will become operational in two years," he added.

Chidambaram said a number of companies have shown interest in the project. "Bangalore-based Bharat Electronics could be a major player in the project," he said.

dipeshmajumder - i am not sure on Teledata
shan2611 - RPG cables is a hold
santoshdts - The correction was long pending....stay away - but afterall there is no good/bad time to buy fundamentally good stocks.

Keep a track of Biocon(dont commit but keep on the watchlist radar) and Elecon Engineering..huge orders and a strong growth story....Buy CMP 580

Narendra - Well said and a consolidated answer to all questions

Thanks and Regards
Supratik

Status
Not open for further replies.