Building Trader's Psychology

veluri1967

The successful trader that you want to become is a future projection of yourself that you have to grow into. Growth implies expansion, learning, and creating a new way of expressing yourself. This is true even if you're already a successful trader and are reading this post to become more successful. Many of the new ways in which you will learn to express yourself will be in direct conflict with ideas and beliefs you presently hold about the nature of trading. You may or may not already be aware of some of these beliefs. In any case, what you currently hold to be true about the nature of trading will argue to keep things just the way they are, in spite of your frustrations and unsatisfying results.

What is the road to success?
Fundamental, Technical or Mental Analysis.

IN THE BEGINNING: FUNDAMENTAL ANALYSIS

Who remembers when fundamental analysis was considered the only real or proper way to make trading decisions? In mid 1970s, technical analysis was used by only a handful of traders, who were considered by the rest of the market community to be, at the very least, crazy. As difficult as it is to believe now, it wasn't very long ago when all thought that technical analysis was some form of mystical hocus-pocus.

Now, of course, just the opposite is true. Almost all experienced traders use some form of technical analysis to help them formulate their trading strategies. Except for some small, isolated pockets in the academic community, the "purely" fundamental analyst is virtually extinct. What caused this dramatic
shift in perspective? It's no surprise to anyone that the answer to this question is very simple: Money! The problem with making trading decisions from a strictly fundamental perspective is the inherent difficulty of making money consistently using this approach.

For those who may not be familiar with fundamental analysis, let it be told. Fundamental analysis attempts to take into consideration all the variables that could affect the relative balance or imbalance between the supply of and the possible demand for any particular stock, commodity, or financial instrument. Using primarily mathematical models that weigh the significance of a variety of factors (interest rates, balance sheets, weather patterns, and numerous others), the analyst projects what the price should be at some point in the future.

The problem with these models is that they rarely, if ever, factor in other traders as variables. People, expressing their beliefs and expectations about the future, make prices move—not models. The fact that a model makes a logical and reasonable projection based on all the relevant variables is not of much
value if the traders who are responsible for most of the trading volume are not aware of the model or don't believe in it.

As a matter of fact, many traders, especially those on the floors of the futures exchanges who have the ability to move prices very dramatically in one direction or the other, usually don't have the slightest concept of the fundamental supply and demand factors that are supposed to affect prices. Furthermore, at any given moment, much of their trading activity is prompted by a response to emotional factors that are completely outside the parameters of the fundamental model. In other words, the people who trade (and consequently move prices) don't always act in a rational manner.

Ultimately, the fundamental analyst could find that a prediction about where prices should be at some point in the future is correct. But in the meantime, price movement could be so volatile that it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to stay in a trade in order to realize the objective.

Last edited:

veluri1967

In order to determine how well you "think like a trader," take the following Attitude Survey. There are no right or wrong answers.

Your answers are an indication of how consistent your current mental framework is with the way you need to think in order to get the most out of your trading.

ATTITUDE SURVEY

1. To make money as a trader you have to know what the market is going to do next.
Agree Disagree

2. Sometimes I find myself thinking that there must be a way to trade without having to take a loss.
Agree Disagree

3. Making money as a trader is primarily a function of analysis.
Agree Disagree

4. Losses are an unavoidable component of trading.
Agree Disagree

5. My risk is always defined before I enter a trade.
Agree Disagree

6. In my mind there is always a cost associated with finding out what the market may do next.
Agree Disagree

7. I wouldn't even bother putting on the next trade if I wasn't sure that it was going to be a winner.
Agree Disagree

8. The more a trader learns about the markets and how they behave, the easier it will be for him to execute his trades.
Agree Disagree

9. My methodology tells me exactly under what market conditions to either enter or exit a trade.
Agree Disagree

10. Even when I have a clear signal to reverse my position, I find it extremely difficult to do.
Agree Disagree

11. I have sustained periods of consistent success usually followed by some fairly drastic draw-downs in my equity.
Agree Disagree

12. When I first started trading I would describe my trading methodology as haphazard, meaning some success in between a lot of pain.
Agree Disagree

13. I often find myself feeling that the markets are against me personally.
Agree Disagree

14. As much as I might try to "let go," I find it very difficult to put past emotional wounds behind me.
Agree Disagree

15. I have a money management philosophy that is founded in the principle of always taking some money out of the market when the market makes it available.
Agree Disagree

16. A trader's job is to identify patterns in the markets' behavior that represent an opportunity and then to determine the risk of finding out if these patterns will play themselves out as they have in the past.
Agree Disagree

17. Sometimes I just can't help feeling that I am a victim of the market.
Agree Disagree

18. When I trade I usually try to stay focused in one time frame.
Agree Disagree

19. Trading successfully requires a degree of mental flexibility far beyond the scope of most people
Agree Disagree

20. There are times when I can definitely feel the flow of the market; however, I often have difficulty acting on these feelings.
Agree Disagree

21. There are many times when I am in a profitable trade and I know the move is basically over, but I still won't take my profits.
Agree Disagree

22. No matter how much money I make in a trade, I am rarely ever satisfied and feel that I could have made more.
Agree Disagree

23. When I put on a trade, I feel I have a positive attitude. I anticipate all of the money I could make from the trade in a positive way.
Agree Disagree

24. The most important component in a trader's ability to accumulate money over time is having a belief in his own consistency.
Agree Disagree

25. If you were granted a wish to be able to instantaneously acquire one trading skill, what skill would you choose?

26. I often spend sleepless nights worrying about the market.
Agree Disagree

27. Do you ever feel compelled to make a trade because you are afraid that you might miss out?
Yes No

28. Although it doesn't happen veiy often, I really like my trades to be perfect. When I make a perfect call it feels so good that it makes up for all of the times that I don't.
Agree Disagree

29. Do you ever find yourself planning trades you never execute, and executing trades you neverplanned?
Yes No

30. In a few sentences explain why most traders either don't make money or aren't able to keep what they make.

Last edited:

veluri1967

THE SHIFT TO TECHNICAL ANALYSIS

Technical analysis has been around for as long as there have been organized markets in the form of
exchanges. But the trading community didn't accept technical analysis as a viable tool for making
money until the late 1970s or early 1980s. Here's what the technical analyst knew that it took the
mainstream market community generations to catch on to.

A finite number of traders participate in the markets on any given day, week, or month. Many of these
traders do the same lands of things over and over in their attempt to make money. In other words,
individuals develop behavior patterns, and a group of individuals, interacting with one another on a
consistent basis, form collective behavior patterns. These behavior patterns are observable and
quantifiable, and they repeat themselves with statistical reliability. Technical analysis is a method that
organizes this collective behavior into identifiable patterns that can give a clear indication of when
there is a greater probability of one thing happening over another. In a sense, technical analysis allows
you to get into the mind of the market to anticipate what's likely to happen next, based on the kind of
patterns the market generated at some previous moment.

As a method for projecting future price movement, technical analysis has turned out to be far superior
to a purely fundamental approach. It keeps the trader focused on what the market is doing now in
relation to what it has done in the past, instead of focusing on what the market should be doing based
solely on what is logical and reasonable as determined by a mathematical model. On the other hand,
fundamental analysis creates what I call a "reality gap" between "what should be" and "what is." The
reality gap makes it extremely difficult to make anything but very long-term predictions that can be
difficult to exploit, even if they are correct.

In contrast, technical analysis not only closes this reality gap, but also makes available to the trader a
virtually unlimited number of possibilities to take advantage of. The technical approach opens up many
more possibilities because it identifies how the same repeatable behavior patterns occur in every time
frame—moment-to moment, daily, weekly, yearly, and every time span in between. In other words,
technical analysis turns the market into an endless stream of opportunities to enrich oneself.

Last edited:

veluri1967

Ten Commitment Questions Every Trader Should Internalize

1. What is the amount of money you intend to make?
2. How long will it take you to make it?
3. What do you have to do to make it?
4. How much capital do you need?
5. How many shares must you purchase?
6. How long should you hold on to those shares to reach your
objective?
7. When should you change your position?
8. When should you enlarge your position?
9. What must you pay attention to with regard to managing
your losses?
10. How much more capital can you put at risk so as to increase
your profitability on the upside while managing your downside
risk?

Karanm

1. What is the amount of money you intend to make?
2. How long will it take you to make it?
3. What do you have to do to make it?
4. How much capital do you need?
5. How many shares must you purchase?
6. How long should you hold on to those shares to reach your
objective?
7. When should you change your position?
8. When should you enlarge your position?
9. What must you pay attention to with regard to managing
your losses?
10. How much more capital can you put at risk so as to increase
your profitability on the upside while managing your downside
risk?
Sir,

I am trying to learn from you

Regards
Karan

ranger123

I think more than all this one should focas on the finding a trading method which will match your own personality. If you can managing to do this only (which will take so many years also) I think you can be very much successfull in trading career. All other things you has mentioned

What you has mentioned is thoughts which make one feel good to read but are not pratcical to use, something likes 30000 foots above the real things of tradings.

Thank you and best of luck.

ranger123

In order to determine how well you "think like a trader," take the following Attitude Survey. There are no right or wrong answers.
Again here also you sound like general pupose discussion only, without the answers put in different cartegory, how can you evalue your attitude. Example, after taking this Attitude Testing, what conclution I should make. If you have answers like, Agree : > 10 times, than this... Agree : > 15 times than this, so only we all can benifit from such testings. Other wise this is also like a feel good things with out any practicle usage.

Pls correct me if I am wrong in my understanding your message.

Thank you

Last edited:

veluri1967

Again here also you sound like general pupose discussion only, without the answers put in different cartegory, how can you evalue your attitude. Example, after taking this Attitude Testing, what conclution I should make. If you have answers like, Agree : > 10 times, than this... Agree : > 15 times than this, so only we all can benifit from such testings. Other wise this is also like a feel good things with out any practicle usage.

Pls correct me if I am wrong in my understanding your message.

Thank you
Dear Ranger,

Attitude is a virtue which can be nurtured with modified thought process. Since its only beginning, I suggest you to mark your present thoughts to the attitude survey.

As we go along the way our psychological processes will take bumps here and there, questioning our attitude very seriously and severely.

We are going to take the same attitude survey at later stages, that I will declare to take it again.

You will find a lot of differences in present answers and the answers which are given in future survey.

Finally, I am happy to notice that your psyche is upright to receive the message in right spirit.

Keep up with the thread and build your own psychological balancing factor.:thumb:

veluri1967

THE SHIFT TO MENTAL ANALYSIS

If technical analysis works so well, why would more and more of the trading community shift their
focus from technical analysis of the market to mental analysis of themselves, meaning their own
individual trading psychology?

To answer this question, the most likely reason is that you're dissatisfied with the
difference between what you perceive as the unlimited potential to make money and what you end up
with on the bottom line. That's the problem with technical analysis, if you want to call it a problem.
Once you learn to identify patterns and read the market, you find there are limitless opportunities to
make money. But, as you already know, there can also be a huge gap between what you
understand about the markets, and your ability to transform that knowledge into consistent profits or a
steadily rising equity curve.

Think about the number of times you've looked at a price chart and said to yourself, "Hmmm, it looks
like the market is going up (or down, as the case may be)," and what you thought was going to happen
actually happened. But you did nothing except watch the market move while you anguished over all the
money you could have made.

There's a big difference between predicting that something will happen in the market (and thinking
about all the money you could have made) and the reality of actually getting into and out of trades.
Call this difference, and others like it, a "psychological gap" that can make trading one of the most
difficult endeavors you could choose to undertake and certainly one of the most mysterious to master.

The big question is: Can trading be mastered? Is it possible to experience trading with the same ease
and simplicity implied when you are only watching the market and thinking about success, as opposed
to actually having to put on and take off trades? Not only is the answer an unequivocal "yes," but that's
also exactly what this effort is designed to give you—the insight and understanding you need about
yourself and about the nature of trading. So the result is that actually doing it becomes as easy, simple,
and stress-free as when you are just watching the market and thinking about doing it.

This may seem like a tall order, and to some of you it may even seem impossible. But it's not. There are
people who have mastered the art of trading, who have closed the gap between the possibilities
available and their bottom-line performance. But as you might expect, these winners are relatively few
in number compared with the number of traders who experience varying degrees of frustration, all the
way to extreme exasperation, wondering why they can't create the consistent success they so
desperately desire.

In fact, the differences between these two groups of traders (the consistent winners and everyone else)
are analogous to the differences between the Earth and the moon. The Earth and moon are both
celestial bodies that exist in the same solar system, so they do have something in common. But they are
as different in nature and characteristics as night and day. By the same token, anyone who puts on a
trade can claim to be a trader, but when you compare the characteristics of the handful of consistent
winners with the characteristics of most other traders, you'll find they're also as different as night and
day.

If going to the moon represents consistent success as a trader, we can say that getting to the moon is
possible. The journey is extremely difficult and only a handful of people have made it. From our
perspective here on Earth, the moon is usually visible every night and it seems so close that we could
just reach out and touch it.

Trading successfully feels the same way. On any given day, week, or month, the markets make
available vast amounts of money to anyone who has the capacity to put on a trade. Since the markets
are in constant motion, this money is also constantly flowing, which makes the possibilities for success
greatly magnified and seemingly within your grasp. Here the word "seemingly"is used to make an important
distinction between the two groups of traders. For those who have learned how to be consistent, or have
broken through what is called the "threshold of consistency,"the money is not only within their grasp; they
can virtually take it at will. I'm sure that some will find this statement shocking or difficult to believe,
but it is true. There are some limitations, but for the most part, money flows into the accounts of these
traders with such ease and effortlessness that it literally boggles most people's minds.

However, for the traders who have not evolved into this select group, the word "seemingly" means
exactly what it implies. It seems as if the consistency or ultimate success they desire is "at hand," or
"within their grasp," just before it slips away or evaporates before their eyes, time and time again. The
only thing about trading that is consistent with this group is emotional pain. Yes, they certainly have
moments of elation, but it is not an exaggeration to say that most of the time they are in a state of fear,
anger, frustration, anxiety, disappointment, betrayal, and regret. So what separates these two groups of
traders? Is it intelligence? Are the consistent winners just plain smarter than everyone else? Do they
work harder? Are they better analysts, or do they have access to better trading systems? Do they
possess inherent personality characteristics that make it easier for them to deal with the intense
pressures of trading?

All of these possibilities sound quite plausible, except when you consider that most of the trading
industry's failures are also some of society's brightest and most accomplished people. The largest group
of consistent losers is composed primarily of doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, CEOs, wealthy
retirees, and entrepreneurs.

Furthermore, most of the industry's best market analysts are the worst traders imaginable. Intelligence
and good market analysis can The Road to Success certainly contribute to success, but they are not the
defining factors that separate the consistent winners from everyone else. Well, if it isn't intelligence or
better analysis, then what could it be?

Last edited:

jagankris

Thanks a lot for starting this wonderful thread.

Find below the story of a trader
The trader after making a loss(If not huge) had an inner urge to recover the loss of money and to
save his face from family members and peers.

This inner urge to take revenge on the markets made him to make more mistakes to loose more money.

Frustrated again with the markets and oneself the trader started learning patience,looking for advices
from brokers,Software vendors,Peer traders,Tips providers,Technical analysts or Technical Seminars coaching etc.

He started to hunt for the holy grail.

The trader chased sw vendors one after another.

Finally selected a sw with ready made signals.

With a few consequitive stop loss hits he stopped trading with that System.

The urge to recover or make money pulled him front and the fear of the past experience prevented him to make his next step forward
and he found himself in a deadlock situation.

Then he started reading lot of books.
Then he vowed to learn the technicals for himselfs

Technicals,Line chart,Candle stick patterns,Chart patterns,Fibanocci,Gann,Volatality .............. Infinity.

The words of Discipline,Money management rules made him to feel dizzy.

The trader figured out what is making to loose the game

He didnt know which Trading style would suite him
1) Intraday
- Scalping or Charts based Trading.
2) Swing Trading

He was paying much higher brokerage.

1) Lack of a good strategy/System with back tested results.
2) Lack of faith in that system.
3) Lack of consistency in following the system.
4) Lack of money management rules.

With out any knowledge in AMI AFL he didnt know how to create a Trading set up with AMibroker.

Nor he didnt know how to backtest the AFL's with AMI.

Slowly started reading the Articles great Traders like Veluri,Saint,AW10,Linkon,Sarvant Garde,Pride,Edward,Karthik Marar,Ankit,2652 .... many more
Realised TA is an ocean and it will take years to learn and practice..

He was even confused which trading system is the best with in the forum.

Decided to seek their guidance in building a Trading setup or a ready made setup mentioned in the forum to start with
to build confidence in trading.

Wondering who that Trader is :?

It's me :)