Yahoo Backfill Downloader

jdm

Dear Joy Da,
ya this method to backfill is greate help for software venders, as they target the customers who dont afford the real time data venders like esignal etc. which is cost in thousands per month.
again to say that this methods include the download the backfill data from the very reliable servers like bse and nse servers, rather then unreliable yahoo servers.
hope you understand my point.
and congretulations for your backfill application....as it rocks......
Thankin You,
PIYUSH PATEL.
hi piyush,
well you cannot append real time quotes from nse or bse without paying bse or nse, unless ofcourse you wish to call litigation on yourself and this is perticualrly true if you wish to charge your "suscribers".

this is a big business and everyone wants their pie, so does the exchanges after all the data is their property.

thanks for trying the application and for your kind words of appreciation.

cheers,
jdm.

jdm

Yes Joyda an auto backfill could have worked wonders. I have seen it even during market hrs. Say if u start this app at 1 oclock the data from 9:54 to 1, also can be seen in the text file. So in case we miss the data due to any reason we can at once backfill.

Hope im not askin much.

Thanks again

Swagat
well swagat, you are not at all asking for much. but this application is not a RT application. the same is meant for backfill purpose only and auto refreshing backfill every other second is not the best of ideas to come around.

i can provide the forum with and RT application, with backfill (very rudimentary in nature but works fine) but for that i need a dll (or API) which can write data in metastock format. there are three ways to achive that.

first, icecubetray (the author of Meta_All) completes his Metafile(MFLib) project, then i can use that to do the necessary. since it is a open source project we need not really spend anything.

secondly, let me buy a valid copy of metalib and then we can proceed accordingly. but as for now my shopping list do not have the same in its list.

thirdly, someone sponsors me a metalib. well by someone i really do not mean an individual. if 10 or 20 peoples comes forward and pools some money, we can get a valid license and it wont pinch anybody hard, as the per head contribution (one time) will be 250 - 500 INR at the most.

hopefully i am not asking for much :)

cheers,
jdm.

well swagat, you are not at all asking for much. but this application is not a RT application. the same is meant for backfill purpose only and auto refreshing backfill every other second is not the best of ideas to come around.

i can provide the forum with and RT application, with backfill (very rudimentary in nature but works fine) but for that i need a dll (or API) which can write data in metastock format. there are three ways to achive that.

first, icecubetray (the author of Meta_All) completes his Metafile(MFLib) project, then i can use that to do the necessary. since it is a open source project we need not really spend anything.

secondly, let me buy a valid copy of metalib and then we can proceed accordingly. but as for now my shopping list do not have the same in its list.

thirdly, someone sponsors me a metalib. well by someone i really do not mean an individual. if 10 or 20 peoples comes forward and pools some money, we can get a valid license and it wont pinch anybody hard, as the per head contribution (one time) will be 250 - 500 INR at the most.

hopefully i am not asking for much :)

cheers,
jdm.
hi Joy da,

trust me ur not at all asking much, With wat u have given to the forum. but the problem was somethin stated by u at the beggining of this thread itself. the data quality is somethin which i dont like. iv noticed this that for US mrkt this is perfect. but here there r divergence.

thats the problem.

kenneth

ok i have updated the programme. now the user can choose whether he wants the header or not. he/she can even chooses what the header should read. in addition the ticker and the periodicity column are now optional.

cheers,
jdm.
Hi Joy,

I tried the verson 1.1 where I deleted the <per> from the header. But the data downloaded still has second column ,0, after the ticker. This column is not required hence column ,0, should not be imported so that I can auto import the data.

Thanks & Regards
Ken

jdm

dear jdm,
First let me congrat you on this great utility
i am ready to put my first share of bucks for metastock rt data. :)
thanks for supporting the project. but to keep the per head contribution as low as possible we need say, 20 or so sponsors.

till then its 2 (you and I) and counting......

cheers,
jdm.

jdm

hi Joy da,

trust me ur not at all asking much, With wat u have given to the forum. but the problem was somethin stated by u at the beggining of this thread itself. the data quality is somethin which i dont like. iv noticed this that for US mrkt this is perfect. but here there r divergence.

thats the problem.
swagat, we all know how unreliable yahoo data can be. in this forum i am amongst one of the most vocal person to advocate people to not to use yahoo data, if they really means business. in a post earlier in this thread, i have said "people should not run after free stuffs".

i am asking a few to sponsor so that a geater number could benefit from their contribution. yahoo gives data for free, but sadly theres not a single free software to capture that data. thats sad, and i am trying to fill that vaccume.

cheers,
jdm.

jdm

Hi Joy,

I tried the verson 1.1 where I deleted the <per> from the header. But the data downloaded still has second column ,0, after the ticker. This column is not required hence column ,0, should not be imported so that I can auto import the data.

Thanks & Regards
Ken
uncheck the option "Append Periodicity Column" and edit the header accordingly. it will run ok.

hope it helps.

cheers,
jdm.

hi piyush,
well you cannot append real time quotes from nse or bse without paying bse or nse, unless ofcourse you wish to call litigation on yourself and this is perticualrly true if you wish to charge your "suscribers".

this is a big business and everyone wants their pie, so does the exchanges after all the data is their property.

thanks for trying the application and for your kind words of appreciation.

cheers,
jdm.
Dear Joy Da,
Thank you very much for correcting me, but its true that when bse and nse is putting the data on their website for public use for free....then this data is treated as free.....and people will take and use it freely without violating any terms of business.
other thing is that we are charging our customers for a software which provides convinience and timely delivery of the data to their own technical analysis software.....and not for the data itself. so that does not also violating any terms of business.
correct me if i'm wrong.
PIYUSH PATEL.

dear jdm,
First let me congrat you on this great utility
i am ready to put my first share of bucks for metastock rt data. :)
Dear Jdm

You can count me also for Metastock RT data project.

Can you make any modifications to get backfilll data from yahoo for previous dates. 'Yahoo Backfill Downloader' is a greate masterpiece from you but it backfills only current day data. I request you to consider any addition in this regard.

Regards
ppvsin