Yahoo Backfill Downloader

check the symbol
Hello JDM,

Can't get you. :confused:

BTW, is Yahoo symbol different from NSE symbols?

If so, how do I get Yahoo symbols for those NSE tickers? Please suggest.

Sorry for being so stupid, I am a complete newbie, so might be asking such silly Qs time to time. :confused:

jdm

Hello JDM,

Can't get you. :confused:

BTW, is Yahoo symbol different from NSE symbols?

If so, how do I get Yahoo symbols for those NSE tickers? Please suggest.

Sorry for being so stupid, I am a complete newbie, so might be asking such silly Qs time to time. :confused:
yahoo symbols for nse are like [nse symbol] + .NS

so yahoo symbol for tcs will be TCS.NS

but the problem is yahoo symbols can have a max length of 12 including the .NS suffix. this causes a problem when nse symbols have length in excess of 9. take infosys for example. the nse symbol for infosys is INFOSYSTCH (ten digits). if we add the .ns suffix it becomes a 13 digit thus exceeding the yahoo length. so yahoo truncate the last digit (H) from the nse symbol to meet its requirement. thus the yahoo symbol for infosys is INFOSYSTC.NS (H is missing)

yahoo symbols for nse are like [nse symbol] + .NS

so yahoo symbol for tcs will be TCS.NS

but the problem is yahoo symbols can have a max length of 12 including the .NS suffix. this causes a problem when nse symbols have length in excess of 9. take infosys for example. the nse symbol for infosys is INFOSYSTCH (ten digits). if we add the .ns suffix it becomes a 13 digit thus exceeding the yahoo length. so yahoo truncate the last digit (H) from the nse symbol to meet its requirement. thus the yahoo symbol for infosys is INFOSYSTC.NS (H is missing)
Then, TELEDATAIT for NSE should be TELEDATAI.NS in yahoo. right? Many thanks for the clarification (used it already and it works...wowwwww). As told, I am pretty new to all these and really do not have much idea how and where to start. So trying to download intraday data (though the rep of Yahoo data seems not so good in the market, as suggested by the fellow members), but I thought at least I could use them to learn at my initial days. Your utility tool is superb enough to allow me to do the same. Many, many thanks.

BTW, what is <PER>? Sorry for being such an ignorant :confused: And can you kindly suggest me a list of NSE tickers please, if possible? Hope I am not diverting the thread topic much with this question.

Last edited:

jdm

Then, TELEDATAIT for NSE should be TELEDATAI.NS in yahoo. right? Many thanks for the clarification (used it already and it works...wowwwww). As told, I am pretty new to all these and really do not have much idea how and where to start. So trying to download intraday data (though the rep of Yahoo data seems not so good in the market, as suggested by the fellow members), but I thought at least I could use them to learn at my initial days. Your utility tool is superb enough to allow me to do the same. Many, many thanks.

BTW, what is <PER>? Sorry for being such an ignorant :confused: And can you kindly suggest me a list of NSE tickers please, if possible? Hope I am not diverting the thread topic much with this question.
google data is better than yahoo. again theres no symbol issues too with google. use this sw instead.

download the bhavcopy (from nseindia.com) open the csv file with excel. type in the following formula in cell B1

=LEFT(A1,9) & ".NS"

copy paste the same to all the cells in B column. you will get what you need.

PER stands for periodicity. its is required if you are importing data into metastock.

google data is better than yahoo. again theres no symbol issues too with google. use this sw instead.

download the bhavcopy (from nseindia.com) open the csv file with excel. type in the following formula in cell B1

=LEFT(A1,9) & ".NS"

copy paste the same to all the cells in B column. you will get what you need.

PER stands for periodicity. its is required if you are importing data into metastock.
Hey, can I give you more than 'one' thanks per reply? :thumb: Hat's off man, just now you solved 3 of my problems that I was encountering. No. 1 - how to use Metastock (at least the part I was curious of, and as told, I am a completely new kid in town) with the reports I might receive from different source, 2. About how to get Google data and 3. Of course the actual answer I was looking for. :clapping:

Many, many thanks :)

sub2501

Simply great, ur datadownloader is great!!!!!!!!!!..
THE MORE WE GET, THE MORE WE WANT
Do u've any plan to design a software to fetch realtime quotes for charting in Amibroker, Metastock, Fibotrader and likewise from yahoo,google, dietodin, if so pls let us know.
waiting eagerly to hear "yes" from ur side.
Thanks for this simply simple stuff.....................:clap::clapping::thumb:

jdm

Simply great, ur datadownloader is great!!!!!!!!!!..
THE MORE WE GET, THE MORE WE WANT
Do u've any plan to design a software to fetch realtime quotes for charting in Amibroker, Metastock, Fibotrader and likewise from yahoo,google, dietodin, if so pls let us know.
waiting eagerly to hear "yes" from ur side.
Thanks for this simply simple stuff.....................:clap::clapping::thumb:
there is already a software in these line

see this thread http://www.traderji.com/software/27783-myquotes-free-real-time-quotes-software.html

sub2501

hi, thanks din't go for all the post's, brilliant software,
can u make it to fetch data from Diet ODIN
thanks