1 large cap oriented diversified equity fund
1 multicap diversified fund
1 opportunities fund

Defensive
1 balanced fund
1 index fund
1 large cap oriented diversified fund

On the whole there should not be more that 4 or 5 equity funds in a portfolio.

Re: Best Equity Mutual Funds

Aggressive

1 large cap
1 multi cap
1 opportunities or 1 midcap/smallcap fund
1 infrastructure fund

Moderate
1 largecap or 1 index fund
1 large cap oriented diversified equity fund
1 opportunities fund

Defensive
1 balanced fund
1 index fund
1 large cap oriented diversified fund

On the whole there should not be more that 4 or 5 equity funds in a portfolio.

Three month befour I was almost nill about mutual funds knowledge, except diffreance between stocks and mutual fund.

Thanks to the passed posting on this web site by expert Vikky and others. I gain enofe understanding, still need experts advise to invest. It will be great help to name some funds in each above catagory to invest.

Internet search some what confuging. For exemple SBI Megnum. contra (G) has beaten sensex as wel as nifty for last 3 year dont know about 5 year.

Reddif recomand to buy in hot slot, but moneycontrol shy to recomand.

Thanks

Hi Vicky,
Whats is your re balancing strategy for your portfolio. or do you have any exit criteria for any of the fund in your portfolio.
Hi

I have an aggressive equity portfolio. But on an average I restrict my equity exposure to 60%.
The remaining 40% is split among FD, MIPs, Short term bond funds. I rebalance when my equity exposure rises to 75% such that it has 50% equity & 50% capital protection schemes.

Re: Best Equity Mutual Funds

Three month befour I was almost nill about mutual funds knowledge, except diffreance between stocks and mutual fund.

Thanks to the passed posting on this web site by expert Vikky and others. I gain enofe understanding, still need experts advise to invest. It will be great help to name some funds in each above catagory to invest.

Internet search some what confuging. For exemple SBI Megnum. contra (G) has beaten sensex as wel as nifty for last 3 year dont know about 5 year.

Reddif recomand to buy in hot slot, but moneycontrol shy to recomand.

Thanks
Check out the best equity funds thread & the portfolio review thread. A lot of funds are discussed there.

In this thread we mainly discuss the high level aspects of building a portfolio.

Sir,
I want to invest some Rs. in Birla Tax Rel 96 Fund - Tax Saving Option (ELSS) & Birla Sunlife Equity Fund or Reliance Vision as a Large Cap Fund for Minimum 3 to 8 Years. Which is the Better Tax Saving/Diversified Equity Large Cap Fund. My interest to invest in Birla/Reliance AMC is only to get insurance benifit covered for Mutual Fund like Reliance SIP Insure & Birla Century SIP.
Other than this if you are any choice, Pl. Review my Fund Selection.
Thanks,

vijay121264
(Pune-Maharastra)

A very important alink on how to build a portfolio with international equities, bonds and local equity

http://www.investorsolutions.com/v2content/book/ch12/ch12.cfm

Modern portfolio theory
http://www.investorsolutions.com/v2content/book/ch5/ch5.cfm

To read the complete book
http://www.investorsolutions.com/v2content/book/index.cfm#contents

It is a highly recommended read to invest in the efficient frontier.

Though the author is bearish on gold & real estate and in some casses tends to overdiversify equities, the concepts of building a portfolio are cleanly layed out