What is the “edge” you have in the markets?

beginner_av

Re: What is the edge you have in the markets?

I know now what to say when one really doesn't have an edge - Just say Discipline & Money Management is my edge.
KK bhai, discipline and MM can just be semantics or converted into an edge through rule based, quantified, thoroughly tested, scenario-based probabilistic action plans.

kkseal

KK bhai, discipline and MM can just be semantics or converted into an edge through rule based, quantified, thoroughly tested, scenario-based probabilistic action plans.
BAV, how about restarting that thread on Option strategies.

Regards,
Kalyan.

kkseal

Not true. Lot of funds doing Stat Arb have been doing very well consistently. Just because they are not in the news doesnt mean they dont exist. Just like traders, funds that actually make money tend to be very secretive, quiet and shun publicity
CV, if you're using some form of the Stat Arb method, could you cite a test case in current mkt Could RNRL be a valid choice?

Regards,
Kalyan.

beginner_av

BAV, how about restarting that thread on Option strategies.

Regards,
Kalyan.
There are so many mindless buy, sell recommendations there now. Thats what most people want. In my thread also many people asked such questions. My answers are repetitive and hence useless - How the hell do I know why you have bought it and at what level you should sell. Very few people are interested in hearing that.
Most people dont realize that if you trade options properly, you will RARELY have losses. But to sustain with the level of profit, you have to have a big account to do 10 to 100 contracts.
Moreover I'll have to see if there is anything worthwhile to contribute on my part. No point in reading a ratio strategy from the book and putting it there. Anyway if you or Asishda have specific questions, I can answer them.

BAV

U

uasish

Abhijeet,

As you are aware ,i am zero in Options,wanted to Learn the same from a good teacher.

Asish

kkseal

There are so many mindless buy, sell recommendations there now. Thats what most people want. In my thread also many people asked such questions. My answers are repetitive and hence useless - How the hell do I know why you have bought it and at what level you should sell. Very few people are interested in hearing that.
Most people dont realize that if you trade options properly, you will RARELY have losses. But to sustain with the level of profit, you have to have a big account to do 10 to 100 contracts.
Moreover I'll have to see if there is anything worthwhile to contribute on my part. No point in reading a ratio strategy from the book and putting it there. Anyway if you or Asishda have specific questions, I can answer them.

BAV
Well Avi sir, to begin with i'll put two questions for you - one specific & one more general

1st the specific one:-
How do i determine what the SL for an option would be BASED ON THE SPOT/FUTURE PRICES. (As of now i just fix a level in Spot/Future below or above which i'll get out, but is there any way of determining what the corresponding option price is likely to be at these levels?)

& the general one:-
What if someone wants to start of with a relatively small capital (say 2 lakhs) & wants to limit his trades to BUYING Puts & Calls - is there any simple strategy for him to follow? Is simple pyramiding (treating it a like a cash or futures trade) a good option (pun unintended :))?

Thanks & Regards,
Kalyan.

P.S. Another thing BAV how do you get the daily IV value for a contract? Is it possible to automate the calculation in Ami ?(actually i want to create an indicator out of the IV values).

kkseal

Abhijeet,

As you are aware ,i am zero in Options,wanted to Learn the same from a good teacher.

Asish
Yes Asishda, best from someone with REAL experience in Options trading in INDIAN mkt.

Regards,
Kalyan.