Trading ... Trader ... AND I ...

Galts Gulch

Thank you.We as traders ought to know that even if the trading strategy is exactly the same , trading psychology will differ ,with each individual.
The material here is immensely useful .Thanks a lot for the time and effort you have taken :) Take care.
"If I'm only for others ... Who is there for me?
If I'm only for myself ... What am I here for?"

Trading is THE ONLY industry, where in by sharing knowledge, by complimenting each other ... All of us can WIN, without having to compete with each other.
:thumb::clap::clapping:

Galts Gulch

http://www.funzug.com/index.php/stories/philosophy-of-life-story.html

We should always know ... WHY we are doing ... WHAT .. ever we do ... and
We should also know ... HOW these WHY and WHAT will take us ... WHERE we want to go to ....
And our Analysis of ... HOW ... WHY ... and WHAT ... will influence ... WHEN we will reach ... WHERE we want to go ...

NOW ... APPLY these ... WHY ... WHAT ... WHEN ... HOW and WHERE ...

We will realize ... It is not Indicators ... It is "I" ... WHO TRADES ...

During the FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS ... Let us get some light in to our Trading as well ...

DSM

Welcome back!! Good to see you, and look forward to your post/wisdom.

SORRY .... Guys ....
Was struck with few things ...
Back for GOOD ....

Galts Gulch

Written this long back ... Some how ... remembering it now ...
"To me, the most difficult part of trading has been to master the psychological part of it....not hanging on every tick.....not able to accept losses......giving your trade room to breathe.....not exiting too early....etc. It has taken me a long time to accept that we cannot will the market to do anything and sometimes it will take you out no matter what you do. The only way to succeed is to develop your own trading plan that addresses money management and what you will do in any situation, as PA develops opportunities to enter. Determine under what conditions you will enter and do the same for your exits. Each trade will present its own situations. Study old charts, demo trade, trade small live lots and then put that plan into writing and refine it over time. Eventually you will have a plan that will make you successful (when you stick to it)."

Galts Gulch

This one is from one of my mentors ........
"Belief Statement from a professional CME Floor Trader
For those of us that are battling our psyche, emotions, the little man inside our head and the guy in the mirror when we are trading, I use a Belief Statement I got from a professional CME Floor Trader. I read it before each trading session and find it particularly calming after having a couple of losing trades or when I reach my maximum allowable loss.

I made the mistake of questioning the $1 million target and was very quickly rebuked as "not having the confidence or belief in myself" so I just read it as copied:

I am a professional trader. My job is to take risk. If I manage my losses and let my profits run I will be successful. Because I am a professional trader, I will forgive myself easily for making mistakes and move on to new opportunities. I feel great that I have the discipline to control my emotions and the patience required to be a professional trader. I am a professional trader and will make $1,000,000 by year end. I will achieve this by following my trading plan, setting achievable goals, and controlling my emotions. I am confident and believe in my own ability to be consistently profitable because ....
I AM a professional trader."

Galts Gulch

Risk Management is mitigating risk in a open position, also referred to as Trade Management - letting the market swing while still protecting profits and avoiding a catastrophic loss.

Money Management is looking at your overall account equity and its relationship to your position sizing and number of trades. The number of strategies here could warrant another post entirely. (Fixed Percentage, Fixed Ratio, and other incremental methods to increase and decrease trades and lot sizes as equity fluctuates.)

Back to Risk Management . . . I have found, especially with new and struggling traders, you must back test to be prepared for the average draw downs that occur with your trading system on your trading time frame. Knowing this will relieve you of much of the anxiety of a draw down because you expect it. Risk/Trade Management is trusting your system data, knowing where price is most likely to stall or reverse (S/R) and taking profits accordingly.

The next step is to use a two trade system that satisfies both fear and greed. Set profit targets based on a percentage of Daily ATR, Trading Time Frame ATR or what ever you use. Take profits on trade 1 at a shorter target to satisfy your fear - money is now in the bank. Set stops to break even for trade 2 once trade 1 target is attained. Now you can relax because trade 2 is free and can take advantage of continuation.

This may seem over simplified, but psychologically it works and I have used it to train even the most nervous traders.

This skill takes gathering data on your trade system, studying price action, trading in a demo account or small live account so you can forward test your performance vs. your data, and diligence in following your trade plan. That is really how pros control risk and avoid the worry of a draw down. They have determined their risk before the trade is entered, so unless thier stops are hit, why waste a minute worrying about a draw down? Target 1 attained, stops to break even on trade 2 . . . over and over again. Practice and repetition. There is no substitute.

Over a period of time, The brain starts capturing these images ... Tactics ... Strategies .... the calculations and all the important factors that go in to opening and closing a trade ....

System do not do it ... Strategies do not do it ...

Trader does it ... I DO IT .... I is THE TRADER ....

candle

Dear Galts Gulch Sir,

Today, "I" was fortunate enough to come across this wonderful thread of yours. Definitely it will take time to read and fully digest the understandings. I will go through the entire thread this week-end. Thanks a ton for the insight. Thank you very much.

regards
candle

Galts Gulch

Dear Galts Gulch Sir,

Today, "I" was fortunate enough to come across this wonderful thread of yours. Definitely it will take time to read and fully digest the understandings. I will go through the entire thread this week-end. Thanks a ton for the insight. Thank you very much.

regards
candle
PLEASE PLEASE do not call me SIR ... I'm not One ...
Sir are those sages ... Sacred souls ... who teach what is LIFE ... How to Live .. Life, death and beyond ....
I'm just trying to make trading, a simple affair ....