Trading or gambling.

Both investors and gamblers seek risk.
But investing is not gambling:
Gamblers create risk, while investors (speculators) deal with pre-existing risks. Investors (speculators) help to transfer this risk from those who dont want it to those who do (much like insurance companies take your risk for a fee).
Gambling is a zero-sum game, investing is not.
Investing has a positive expected return, gambling has a negative expected return because the house must earn a profit and cover its costs. This means that in the long run, investors make money and gamblers lose money.
Investing is a productive activity that provides benefits to society as a whole (channeling funds to those who need and deserve them); gambling provides no benefits beyond the enjoyment of risk by the gambler.

Ajay

Capricorn

I have a friend who is a wholesale chana trader in the commodity market. He buys and distributes dozens of truck loads of chana everyday. He too makes a loss if the price falls. So is it gambling?

All businesses have an inherent element of loss inbuilt in them. :)

praveen taneja

I have a friend who is a wholesale chana trader in the commodity market. He buys and distributes dozens of truck loads of chana everyday. He too makes a loss if the price falls. So is it gambling?

All businesses have an inherent element of loss inbuilt in them. :)
Good very nice sorry no thnx button:thumb:

I'm certainly agree with the above opinions. They all are telling the right things. Trading And gambling both different but I would like to recommend to anyone for trading, not for gambling because gambling needs luck that we cannot gain via our knowledge but if you have good skill about trading then we can earn well. That's all.

Thanks!

sudoku1

I'm certainly agree with the above opinions. They all are telling the right things. Trading And gambling both different but I would like to recommend to anyone for trading, not for gambling because gambling needs luck that we cannot gain via our knowledge but if you have good skill about trading then we can earn well. That's all.

Thanks!
JULY: This is 1 of the peculiarly dangerous months 2 invest ,trade, speculate & GAMBLE in stocks . The others r >>>>
January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February.;)

---MARK TWAIN

Last edited:
This is what i was trying to say...

http://nymag.com/news/businessfinance/53617/

Just read the reactions of the guy. He is a day trader. A famous one i might add. But what i felt that he was gambling, sorry, professional gambling.

Mind you, he is still a skill full day trader, but the rest of the variety of day trader they are more or less not as skill full as him.

Just read how he says, its "Addictive". How he "Prays".

Again, i am not saying that trading = gambling. No sir.

But what i feel that some people blurr the thin line between trading and gambling, by choice or otherwise.

----------

JULY: This is 1 of the peculiarly dangerous months 2 invest ,trade, speculate & GAMBLE in stocks . The others r >>>>
January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February.;)

---MARK TWAIN
So, i should put all my money, my friend's money, my uncle's money, their cousin's money and so on in the month of OCTOBER.:p:p:D

sudoku1

So, i should put all my money, my friend's money, my uncle's money, their cousin's money and so on in the month of OCTOBER.:p:p:D
can u convince them 2 only invst in oct & sit tight the rest of the year & take home a booty nxt oct ?;)