Trading NR7 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunil

I understand this is an swing strategy, can anyone post any backtested data for Nifty futures using NR7 for last 6-12 months?

I will really appreciate any help here.

Cheers
SH
I am attaching an excel file with marked out NR4, NR7 and Inside Days.

Observe the resulting Nifty movement after:
1) 2 consecutive NR4 days
2) NR7 day
3) Inside day
4) NR4 + Inside Day
5) NR7 + Inside Day

The last two scenarios being the ultimate spring coil.

The data is from 1-Nov-2007 till date.

Here's the link to download the excel file

AW10

lnangia / SH,

Just to add my views on NRx.
1) 1 day of narrow range move indicates price equilibirium where demand and supply are met within narrow range. It could be that there is very low demand and very low supply.. (lack of participation of biggies and waiting for some trigger).
NRx is just simple and easy approach to identify such balance, lack of interest area in the market.

And we know that mkt can't be in such situation for long.. It is just matter of time that demand/supply will get in imbalance resulting in breakout.. and range expansion.
As a trader, don't we enjoy expanding, wide range market ? And NRx just helps us in getting ready for that.

You can use many other appoaches to indentify that.. but think of this simplicity when u don't have to depend on tools like TA package, or excel sheet but just simple H-L and < or > knowledge is sufficient to identify such situation.

SH - as u have mentioned about comparing 2 different lookback period of ATRs to come to decision.. IMO, NR7 uses 2 different period.. longer period is 7 bars, and shorter is 1 bar. As I have mentioned at other places, I also use 10 bars average range and compare today's range against that to form my view about consolidation. Once can also support the analysis for bringing weekly NRx scenario here.

lnangia - I agree with your explanation on why we take 7 as magic number here. If we take lower then 7, then we might have higher frequency of such bars, but then the signal's reliabiltiy goes down. If we take higher number then signal becomes to rare.
As per my stats - NR4 occurs approx 24% of the time, whereas NR7 is about approx 15%of the time that indicates, roughly 2 to 3 occurance in a month.
On longer timeframe, I reduce the lookback period.. So while looking for contraction on weekly chart, I use NR4... Infact our current week with range of 100 points is developing to be the narrowest week of last 1 year.. ofcourse range can increase in next 2 days.

The credit of this approach goes to Toby Crable. He has tested it across various markets and commodities and found favourable results.

As Sunil has mentioned, when we have Inside Day coupled with NR, the breakout has great potential.

Hope this helps.

Placebo

Hi Aw10 and SH.

I think this is what makes the financial markets so interesting. One single signal and almost 3 different interpretations. Anyways i just posted my view of how i look at narrow range bars and their interpretation. I'm sure that everyone has their own valid reasons for looking at things differently.

Cheers

cbosein

I am attaching an excel file with marked out NR4, NR7 and Inside Days.

Observe the resulting Nifty movement after:
1) 2 consecutive NR4 days
2) NR7 day
3) Inside day
4) NR4 + Inside Day
5) NR7 + Inside Day

The last two scenarios being the ultimate spring coil.

The data is from 1-Nov-2007 till date.

Here's the link to download the excel file
Hi Sunil,

Thanks for your post. Link given is not loading. Tried many times but in vain hereas other sites are opening without any problem.

Regards,
Keerthi

rohangawale

NR7 Stocks Triggered on 9th Dec:
Code:
STOCK		HIGH		LOW
CAIRN		275		271.2
GRASIM		2,437.95	2,405.15
INFOSYS		2462		2422.15
ITC		258.85		255.55
REL CAP		856.5		841
RIL		1078		1062.15
REL INFRA	1068.8		1050.15
SBI		2319		2276
TATA MOTORS	728.9		715.3
TATA POWER	1377		1356.2

rkkarnani

NR7 Stocks Triggered on 9th Dec:
Code:
STOCK		HIGH		LOW
CAIRN		275		271.2
GRASIM		2,437.95	2,405.15
INFOSYS		2462		2422.15
ITC		258.85		255.55
REL CAP		856.5		841
RIL		1078		1062.15
REL INFRA	1068.8		1050.15
SBI		2319		2276
TATA MOTORS	728.9		715.3
TATA POWER	1377		1356.2
Noticed that in futures chart Cairn, Grasim,ITC, Rel.Cap,RIL & RELINFRA have Inside Days as well!!
Nifty future made an NR4 with Inside day!!
In Futures chart SBI and Infosys did not make a NR7 day, but surely the underlyings chart is MORE IMPORTANT!!!
Can we expect some BIG moves this week!!

rkkarnani

While Exploring in Metastock for Nifty Stocks found that the following stocks had NR7 formation on weekly closure on 4th December:

CNX BANK INDEX
ABB
ACC LTD
HCL TECHNOLOGIES
ICICI BANK
INFOSYS TECHNOLO
ITC LTD
LARSEN & TOUBRO
NTPC
ONGC CORPN
RELIANCE CAPITAL
RELIANCE INFRASTRUCTURE LTD