Trading NR7 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurAtt

Dear Rohan

Good job - listing hte NR7 for stocks.
I think this will be much less volatile compared to Auntie Nifty :)

Just saw your update post today - a small error. Hindalco not triggred as yet.
Same with Tata Comm.

Also if u can explain as to how to get the list - i.e. I too have AFL in AMI for NR4&7 and can visually see, but to get a list of ALL STOCKS - do we need to SCAN or what? (Newbie in AMI :))

Your inputs appreciated. Thanks

rohangawale

Dear Rohan

Good job - listing hte NR7 for stocks.
I think this will be much less volatile compared to Auntie Nifty :)

Just saw your update post today - a small error. Hindalco not triggred as yet.
Same with Tata Comm.

Also if u can explain as to how to get the list - i.e. I too have AFL in AMI for NR4&7 and can visually see, but to get a list of ALL STOCKS - do we need to SCAN or what? (Newbie in AMI :))

Your inputs appreciated. Thanks
SM bhai,
actually i didnt saw which stks triggered or not as i was watching only 2-3 stks out of that list, and wanted to put that. but just thought of putting all the NR7 stks status at that time so its helpful to anybody who see stk status, else only if i mention triggered stks, then some might be confused that y not all stks prices given. so mentioned all stks.

im using metastk, so i dont know anything abt AMI and ALF.
in metastk we can scan all stks for NR7 which im doing.

rohangawale

NR7 stocks of nifty triggered on 10th aug are:
Code:
STOCK		HIGH		LOW
HCL TECH	251.9		242.1
ONGC		1170		1140

rohangawale

NR7 stocks of nifty triggered on 7th aug are:

Code:
STOCK		       HIGH		LOW
HDFC LTD		2444		2370
HINDALCO		103		99
INFOSYS TECH		2058		2025
L&T		        1488		1460
NATIONAL ALUMINI	319		308.5
TATA COMM		494		482
All NR7 stocks which triggered on 7th Aug, the close price of the stocks as on 10th Aug:
HDFC LTD 2335
HINDALCO 101.85
INFOSYS TECH 2087
L&T 1436
NATIONAL ALUMINI 309.3
TATA COMM 479

Satyen

Dear AW10 was going thru 2days Range NR pattern as you said, find its very nice to trade after this pattern forms as it mostly tracks the sideways time ( Accumulation/Distribution )

AW10

Hi Satya,
I read about 3 types of sideway movements
Ledges - 4 to 10 bars long sideway move
Congestion / consolidation - 10 to 20 bars long sideway move
Trading Range - > 20 bars.

1 day NR pattern can very well result in Ledges on 60m chart.
2 day NR pattern results in consolidation on 60m chart.
Multiple day of Narrow Range (like we saw in last 2 weeks) will show as trading range on 60m chart.

So I guess, it depends a lot on visualising charts on different timeframe and forming our view on market internals.

Generally, it is more likely to get false break-outs in consolidation and trading range as players are trying to test the market. This is quite similar to accumulation /distribution phase.
Trading Range takes the same study to next level.
But if we can live thru that consolidation period.. then generally we are well rewarded at the end of it by clear break-out (ofcourse we need to know how to ride the break-out).

If you had noticed, then before current break, we had NR5 and NR6 days near the expiry date of last week. Last 2 weeks also gave the range of 250 points (against 300+ points of average weekly range).
So, this is how I will go ahead with tracking multiple TF for break-out
1) keep track of higher TF and find out when they are contracting
2) follow smaller TF and look for consolidation there as well
3) Get ready to trade the break-out on smaller timeframe with limited position size. Here we get entry on break-out of smaller TF but there is risk that higher TF can still result in no break-out.
In that case, we have to face false break-out on smaller TF and maybe face the stoploss.
4) Add on to the position when larger TF also breaks-out
5) Between step 4 and 5, following are some of the pointers that can give indication that we are getting real break-out or not..

In case of real break-out, we do see
- Range expansion (atleast 30 to 40% of NR bar range)
- Volume expansion
- Trendline break and failure of bounce towards the Trendline to cross it successfully
- Change it trend of swing highs i.e. from HH/ HL to LH / LL
- Trending Bar in the direction of break-out.. preferably 90-10 type of bar. This is another Toby's pattern where bar close is top 10% (i.e. 90% or bar range) or bottom 10% of the bar. These bars show the trend strength.

If you remember, we had seen most of the above points failing in various NR7 days of last 2 weeks but they are turning out to be true in the recent break / the break on budget Monday / the NR days when market reversed from 3920 low recently.

Hope this helps and gives you idea to design your system for 60m TF.
I would love to know observations from other price action trader as well.

Happy Trading

Last edited:

myvineet

Hi Satya,
I read about 3 types of sideway movements
Ledges - 4 to 10 bars long sideway move
Congestion / consolidation - 10 to 20 bars long sideway move
Trading Range - > 20 bars.

1 day NR pattern can very well result in Ledges on 60m chart.
2 day NR pattern results in consolidation on 60m chart.
Multiple day of Narrow Range (like we saw in last 2 weeks) will show as trading range on 60m chart.

So I guess, it depends a lot on visualising charts on different timeframe and forming our view on market internals.

Generally, it is more likely to get false break-outs in consolidation and trading range as players are trying to test the market. This is quite similar to accumulation /distribution phase.
Trading Range takes the same study to next level.
But if we can live thru that consolidation period.. then generally we are well rewarded at the end of it by clear break-out (ofcourse we need to know how to ride the break-out).

If you had noticed, then before current break, we had NR5 and NR6 days near the expiry date of last week. Last 2 weeks also gave the range of 250 points (against 300+ points of average weekly range).
So, this is how I will go ahead with tracking multiple TF for break-out1) keep track of higher TF and find out when they are contracting
2) follow smaller TF and look for consolidation there as well
3) Get ready to trade the break-out on smaller timeframe with limited position size. Here we get entry on break-out of smaller TF but there is risk that higher TF can still result in no break-out.
In that case, we have to face false break-out on smaller TF and maybe face the stoploss.
4) Add on to the position when larger TF also breaks-out
5) Between step 4 and 5, following are some of the pointers that can give indication that we are getting real break-out or not..

In case of real break-out, we do see
- Range expansion (atleast 30 to 40% of NR bar range)
- Volume expansion
- Trendline break and failure of bounce towards the Trendline to cross it successfully
- Change it trend of swing highs i.e. from HH/ HL to LH / LL
- Trending Bar in the direction of break-out.. preferably 90-10 type of bar. This is another Toby's pattern where bar close is top 10% (i.e. 90% or bar range) or bottom 10% of the bar. These bars show the trend strength.

If you remember, we had seen most of the above points failing in various NR7 days of last 2 weeks but they are turning out to be true in the recent break / the break on budget Monday / the NR days when market reversed from 3920 low recently.

Hope this helps and gives you idea to design your system for 60m TF.
I would love to know observations from other price action trader as well.

Happy Trading
wonderful da..just amazing ..

you are really a ocean of knowledge..hats off..

I have to come back to TJ everyday just to check your post ...

thanx for sharing all this with us ...

regards

vineet

rohangawale

NR7 stocks of nifty triggered on 11th aug are:
Code:
STOCK		HIGH		LOW
ABB		669.5		652.5
BHEL		2170.1		2117
HDFC BANK 	1387.9		1360
HIND UNILEVER	267		258.55
TATA STEEL	467		449.6