trading diary

I aim to be a cool-headed captain, for with every review of my trading diary, I sharpen my skills and steel my resolve. As I journey forth, battling the ever-changing market, my trading diary remains my constant companion, preserving the chapters of my trading saga and guiding me towards a prosperous horizon. So, fellow adventurer of the markets, let your trading diary be the lighthouse that keeps you from being lost at sea and illuminates the path to triumph!

kajalnigam

I use trading view dairy which helps to identify patterns, analyze decision-making processes, and refine strategies for improved future performance.

How do you use your trading diary to review past trades and learn from your successes and mistakes?
Review trade entries/exits, analyze rationale, risk management, and emotions. Learn from mistakes, celebrate successes, and adjust trading plan accordingly for continuous improvement.

There are two ways I use my trading diary-
1. For exiting positions- I am mostly a swing trader. So my positions generally can last upto couple of months. For such a long duration, It is almost impossible to remember the thesis I had when I entered the position. So everyday I go through it to see the rationale I had while entering and whether it still holds valid or not.

2. For review of closed positions- Every quarter I compile the list of trades that I closed in that quarter. I go through it to see all the mistakes I made and what could have I done better.

For every trade I make, these are the parameters I fill in my trading diary-

Trade Status: Active/ To be filled/ Closed/ Cancelled
Trade Type: Long/Short
Success Probability:
Reward-to-Risk Ratio:
Time Frame:
Daily/ Weekly/ Monthly
Entry Price:
Target Price:
Stop Price:
Close Price:
WHY THIS TRADE:
ENTRY REASONING:
TARGET REASONING:
STOP REASONING:
FOLLOWUP:
If I make any updates in my position (like selling partially, raising my stop, etc.)

I hope this helps :)

I aim to be a cool-headed captain, for with every review of my trading diary, I sharpen my skills and steel my resolve. As I journey forth, battling the ever-changing market, my trading diary remains my constant companion, preserving the chapters of my trading saga and guiding me towards a prosperous horizon. So, fellow adventurer of the markets, let your trading diary be the lighthouse that keeps you from being lost at sea and illuminates the path to triumph!
Absolutely, well said! The trading diary is indeed a crucial tool for navigating the markets.

There are two ways I use my trading diary-
1. For exiting positions- I am mostly a swing trader. So my positions generally can last upto couple of months. For such a long duration, It is almost impossible to remember the thesis I had when I entered the position. So everyday I go through it to see the rationale I had while entering and whether it still holds valid or not.

2. For review of closed positions- Every quarter I compile the list of trades that I closed in that quarter. I go through it to see all the mistakes I made and what could have I done better.

For every trade I make, these are the parameters I fill in my trading diary-

Trade Status: Active/ To be filled/ Closed/ Cancelled
Trade Type: Long/Short
Success Probability:
Reward-to-Risk Ratio:
Time Frame:
Daily/ Weekly/ Monthly
Entry Price:
Target Price:
Stop Price:
Close Price:
WHY THIS TRADE:
ENTRY REASONING:
TARGET REASONING:
STOP REASONING:
FOLLOWUP:
If I make any updates in my position (like selling partially, raising my stop, etc.)

I hope this helps :)
Thanks for sharing your detailed approach! Your disciplined use of a trading diary, especially the part about reviewing the rationale for both current and closed positions, is enlightening. It’s a great reminder of the importance of a structured review process in trading. Appreciate the insights!